Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 03:09 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,041,115 times

Advertisements

I don’t even know who you are talking about but the needs of the US from immigration are very different today than what they were over 100 years ago.
Anecdotal but I do know my wife’s grandparents did learn English relatively quickly but still spoke Italian amongst themselves 50 years later.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:10 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,461,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
She can be so incredibly dumb sometimes.

She said:

Great. Incredibly stupid thing to say, given the actions of her own ancestors. So a genealogist discovers this about Lahren’s immigrant ancestors:

I keep telling people that most of the stories we hear about European immigration are FALSE! They took their sweet time assimilating into this country, and it often took several generations to do so.

Genealogist trolls Tomi Lahren over comments on immigrants | TheHill
I didn’t know the US should be the world’s dumpster.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:10 PM

7,302 posts, read 3,367,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Well, being an imbecile is a prerequisite for being a Statist I suppose.

She's a bit too thin and plastic for my liking. I need some meat on the bones.

I just checked her Twitter. She's blabbering on and on about "illegals".
Typical scared liberal minority disingenuously posing as a libertarian.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:15 PM

26,176 posts, read 14,790,914 times
She is in part saying that:

(1) the US doesn't need to import poverty of low skill workers who are uneducated
(2) that assimilation must happen
(3) that laws should be followed

These 3 points may or may not be good policy, but they do not hinge on what her ancestors did or were.

Should we criticize Obama for saying that black dads should be better fathers - because his own dad wasn't a good father? Or should we judge Obama's words based on their own merit and him being a good dad himself?

If someone's great-great-great grandfather committed murder, should they not be allowed to speak out against murdering?

My great great grandfather was a huge supporter of high tariffs. Shouldn't I be able to oppose that policy in my own right as bad for America - without someone making an illogical argument that a family businesses once benefitted from higher tariffs during the Gilded Age so I am wrong for 2018? Seems kind of low IQ to think there is a legit connection to ignore the here and now and play ancestor gotcha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
She's so freaking hot, but such an imbecile.

For some reason she told people not to trust Ye--something about him being a Democrat plant or something.
Quote:
Ha!

She's on the "to do" list...just got plenty of chicks in front of her.

Giggity.

Why can't you just focus on her argument as opposed to her looks?

Old 05-14-2018, 03:24 PM

2,949 posts, read 2,882,874 times
Back then one either made it or didn't. The ambition and want was there to become productive citizens. The poor immigrants didn't ball-and-chain the rest of society.

Now with the plethora of social programs, hard working middle class Americans are trying to swim with the poor underworld cemented to their feet.

That is the difference. Topic is comparing apples and oranges.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:24 PM

13,608 posts, read 20,663,092 times
Comparing today's immigration to yesteryear's is a fool's errand.

Distances, media, social welfare state, majority rural populace- everything was different.

Not to mention the laws.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:36 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,276,395 times
It is true that there have always been assimilation issues. I've posted quotes from Ben Franklin complaining about Germans in PA. What is different today is that certain immigrant groups actively decline to ever assimilate. See the book 'Mexifornia' by Victor Davis Hanson. Whole communities throughout CA where Spanish is the primary language, and Mexican is the primary culture, and has been for years--no assimilation in sight.

And the problem with having such a high percentage of foreign-born residents (14%, at a historic high) is that people do not have to assimilate if they don't wish to.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:55 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,461,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
She can be so incredibly dumb sometimes.

She said:

Great. Incredibly stupid thing to say, given the actions of her own ancestors. So a genealogist discovers this about Lahren’s immigrant ancestors:

I keep telling people that most of the stories we hear about European immigration are FALSE! They took their sweet time assimilating into this country, and it often took several generations to do so.

Genealogist trolls Tomi Lahren over comments on immigrants | TheHill
This whole thing is so racist that I don't know where to start.

If back then slavery was legal, I should be able to own slaves today then?

Old 05-14-2018, 04:02 PM

36,858 posts, read 17,224,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
She is in part saying that:

(1) the US doesn't need to import poverty of low skill workers who are uneducated
(2) that assimilation must happen
(3) that laws should be followed

These 3 points may or may not be good policy, but they do not hinge on what her ancestors did or were.

Should we criticize Obama for saying that black dads should be better fathers - because his own dad wasn't a good father? Or should we judge Obama's words based on their own merit and him being a good dad himself?

If someone's great-great-great grandfather committed murder, should they not be allowed to speak out against murdering?

My great great grandfather was a huge supporter of high tariffs. Shouldn't I be able to oppose that policy in my own right as bad for America - without someone making an illogical argument that a family businesses once benefitted from higher tariffs during the Gilded Age so I am wrong for 2018? Seems kind of low IQ to think there is a legit connection to ignore the here and now and play ancestor gotcha.

Why can't you just focus on her argument as opposed to her looks?
She's pro-slavery. What's there to argue against?

Every human on the face of the earth has the right to freely associate and move about this planet as long as they respect the non-aggression principle and especially private property rights (which can only be held by individuals).

Old 05-14-2018, 04:26 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,779,035 times
Quote:
Ha!

She's on the "to do" list...just got plenty of chicks in front of her.

Giggity.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies