Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2018, 08:59 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,037,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
One of the main reasons Trump is so popular is that he gives a big middle finger to political correctness. He intentionally spites demographics who aren't his base, be it racial minorities, LGBT, non-Christians, educated people, urban elites, etc. People love that and that is why no matter what Trump does, he continues to remain popular and his support shows no signs of eroding. It comes down to tribalism and Trump is really sticking it to the people that red state America have long considered "deplorable" and they love it. So the question is, why does political correctness bother people so bad? What is so bad about being empathetic to people who may be different from the norm?

If I had a child who was mentally challenged would I want anyone calling them a retard. Of course not. It's a derogatory name. But Trump would have no problem calling someone that. Our president should have moral standards, otherwise they bring our country down to a third world level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 09:08 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

If I had a child who was mentally challenged would I want anyone calling them a retard. Of course not. It's a derogatory name. But Trump would have no problem calling someone that. Our president should have moral standards, otherwise they bring our country down to a third world level.
but WHO is it that DETERMINED its a derogatory name

retard was/is a way to define retarded (lessened) brain function...just like advancing or retarding timing on a distributor cap

that is the problem with all these so-called PC people...they keep changing the definition of words

Old 05-16-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
but WHO is it that DETERMINED its a derogatory name

retard was/is a way to define retarded (lessened) brain function...just like advancing or retarding timing on a distributor cap

that is the problem with all these so-called PC people...they keep changing the definition of words
Maybe you should keep up with each generation then and what they deem unacceptable. My great grandmother called black children...pickaninnies. Would you find that term acceptable now? Of course not.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Maybe you should keep up with each generation then and what they deem unacceptable. My great grandmother called black children...pickaninnies. Would you find that term acceptable now? Of course not.
have no idea what it means.... its a freaking word

do you have a problem with the word... Negro

because to me... in my native tongue.. it means a color..not red..but black..... and If someone said to me De Gato Negro...I know the Black Cat

there is even a wine named it...are you offended by it??

word are just that words

for a few years quee.r was offensive...now its back..LGBTQ
mid 80's there was a song by dire straights... "the little faggo.t has his own jet airplane"... today OMG someone said faggo.t ...burn them at the stake

the PC needs to stop...this truly is garbage
Attached Thumbnails
Why does political correctness bother people so much?-wine.png  

Old 05-16-2018, 09:46 PM

16,538 posts, read 8,579,208 times
Quote:
One of the main reasons Trump is so popular is that he gives a big middle finger to political correctness. He intentionally spites demographics who aren't his base, be it racial minorities, LGBT, non-Christians, educated people, urban elites, etc. People love that and that is why no matter what Trump does, he continues to remain popular and his support shows no signs of eroding. It comes down to tribalism and Trump is really sticking it to the people that red state America have long considered "deplorable" and they love it. So the question is, why does political correctness bother people so bad? What is so bad about being empathetic to people who may be different from the norm?
I don't believe your question/thread topic is real, as you cannot be that naive or ignorant to simplfy things in such simplistic terms.

If you are genuinely interested in my view on PC (it is extensive), use the search engine and put my ID in along with the key words "political correctness" to see the many ills of PC.

Briefly, suffice it to say the PC police want to control what people think and say, and not by so benevolent a means that you imply.
Empathy is one thing, and always a good way to approach life in a society.
However when group think is demanded, and failure to comply results in harm coming to that person, it is not benign.

`

Old 05-16-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
have no idea what it means.... its a freaking word

do you have a problem with the word... Negro

because to me... in my native tongue.. it means a color..not red..but black..... and If someone said to me De Gato Negro...I know the Black Cat

there is even a wine named it...are you offended by it??

word are just that words

for a few years quee.r was offensive...now its back..LGBTQ
mid 80's there was a song by dire straights... "the little faggo.t has his own jet airplane"... today OMG someone said faggo.t ...burn them at the stake

the PC needs to stop...this truly is garbage
You need to realize that words hurt. Garbage are the people who don’t care about how they hurt others....because it’s only a word to them. But to others your words matter. It worsens depression, anxiety and low self esteem.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:59 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The mindset of PC is toxic and when it infiltrates societal institutions (police, education, workplaces) it leads to policies that are absolutely disastrous for those who wish to be peaceful, achieve on merit, and remain an individual.
I think there is truth to this. In general I think people should strive to be as polite, civil and kind as possible to others and guard our speech and actions But when someone tells me it's not politically correct to refer to my own mother as "mother"; that I have to use the term "caregiver" because it's offensive to people who don't have mothers, and so I'm not "allowed" to call my mother my mother...then I'm starting to have a problem with PC. It very much infringes on other people's personal freedoms. Yes, words can hurt but when it hurts you to hear someone call their mom "mother" then you are the one with the problem.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:02 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
When the truth offends so many... We have to put sugar on top, not to hurt feeeeeeeeeeeelings.

To that I say, to all that feeeeeeeeeeeel that way, **** your FEEEEEEEEEEElings!

Old 05-16-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
When the truth offends so many... We have to put sugar on top, not to hurt feeeeeeeeeeeelings.

To that I say, to all that feeeeeeeeeeeel that way, **** your FEEEEEEEEEEElings!
But saying offensive things about someone doesn’t make it true. If someone said your daughter was a fat ugly girl....wouldn’t you as a father tell her she was beautiful and not listen to the bullies.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
You need to realize that words hurt. Garbage are the people who don’t care about how they hurt others....because it’s only a word to them. But to others your words matter. It worsens depression, anxiety and low self esteem.
words hurt??

well I know bullets hurt, rocks hurt, bats/sticks hurt, knives hurt

sorry but.."sticks and stones may break my bone, BUT WORDs CAN NEVER HURT ME"

depression, anxiety and low self esteem...more psycho-babble BS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies