Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2018, 07:41 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
what the heck are you talking about?
Wahine is trying to say that he ought to be able to say any old vile thought that comes to mind because that's the way he/she is made.

Genetics and all, you know.

And if the cats don't like it, too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 07:42 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
1. who defines what is offensive??

2. why redefine words of phrases, just to pad your ego... do we really need to rename a garbage man to a solid waste engineer...... do we really need to refer to a housewife/stay at home mom as a domestic engineer?
I really don't care about job names. However, if a person works in the solid waste industry and you call him a garbage man and he informs you he's actually a solid waste engineer, just call him what he says he is.

Why's that such a hardship?

If he freaks out because you don't know this in advance, yes, that's dramatic. But, if you are corrected in your terminology, just use the term and move on.

Why be offended by someone wanting to be called what they are?

I know people who are SAHMs. They don't seem to lose it when I refer to them that way. If one told me she wasn't a housewife, she was a domestic engineer? I would just call her one.

Problem solved.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:44 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I don't think that's what PC is. You can be courteous to pretty much anyone, even if you're not exactly crazy about them.

Nobody HAS to like another person. But, being decent to one another in public (includes online interactions) seems like a bare minimum in a respectful society. I'm not referring to disagreements between two people... if two people disagree and have an argument, that's just two people disagreeing. But, if one of those two breaks out the N word in the middle of it, that's not cool.
But what you are describing here isn't political correctness. It's basic decency. Not everyone is in possession of it. That's just a sad truth. You cannot legislate basic decency.

Political correctness goes many steps further than basic decency. It's a technique of mind control in an effort to establish someone's idea of "order". It is never successful.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
not too long ago psychiatrists said being gay was a neurological disease (a miss-wiring)
Yes, they did. And, they learned more and they changed their views.

Not too long ago, people thought bloodletting cured diseases. Then, they learned more and refined their views.

That's how medical science works.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
But what you are describing here isn't political correctness. It's basic decency. Not everyone is in possession of it. That's just a sad truth. You cannot legislate basic decency.

Political correctness goes many steps further than basic decency. It's a technique of mind control in an effort to establish someone's idea of "order". It is never successful.
I really have never felt like my mind was being controlled by the concept of decent behavior, but whatever, I guess.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Wahine is trying to say that he ought to be able to say any old vile thought that comes to mind because that's the way he/she is made.

Yes, people should be absolutely free to say any old vile thought that comes to mind. They will suffer the consequences of their actions, but the action is not one that can be controlled by others.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
I really have never felt like my mind was being controlled by the concept of decent behavior, but whatever, I guess.
That's because you subscribe to political correctness and follow it's tenets. That's a choice that you have made freely for yourself, because we live in a society that allows us that freedom. There are many people who do not subscribe to political correctness, because they too live in a society that allows that freedom.

The fact that you and I don't agree on what exactly constitutes political correctness makes this an impossible topic to ever come to agreement on. You think political correctness is just "decent behavior". I feel it goes far past being nice to others.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:49 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
I don't think that's what PC is. You can be courteous to pretty much anyone, even if you're not exactly crazy about them.

Nobody HAS to like another person. But, being decent to one another in public (includes online interactions) seems like a bare minimum in a respectful society. I'm not referring to disagreements between two people... if two people disagree and have an argument, that's just two people disagreeing. But, if one of those two breaks out the N word in the middle of it, that's not cool.
PC is not about courtesy

PC is REDEFINING phrase to be POLITICALLY 'correct'

its no longer a steward or stewardess ..now we say flight attendant

its no longer actor and actress..they are all actors now

its no longer policeman, fireman...now its fire person

it no longer garbage/trash collector..... now its a solid waste engineer

then to be more PC..we SPIN words in political manners....

I cant even keep up with it....

you cant say oriental anymore... I guess I cant travel to the orient anymore either then

whats next

Old 05-17-2018, 07:50 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

And just who died and set you and your fellow Snowflakes up as judge, jury, and court of final appeal?

The p/c crowd are nothing but a bunch of whiny losers, less-threatening than Marxists and Nazis, but operating under the same "principles" -- or lack of any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
No one is stopping you from being a racist or being openly racist. Thankfully the majority of the country finds that sort of behavior and speech repugnant and you are going to be treated accordingly.
And my post gives no indication of my feelings on race, or sexuality, or any of the p/c crowd's "pet issues"; but you have already sought to seize what you view as the "moral high ground" for yourself and your self-appointed clique.

A lot of us are just sick and tired of the self-righteousness.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-17-2018 at 08:15 AM..

Old 05-17-2018, 07:51 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
And just who died and left you and your fellow Snowflakes as judge, jury, and court of final appeal?
No one is stopping you from being a racist or being openly racist. Thankfully the majority of the country finds that sort of behavior and speech repugnant and you are going to be treated accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies