Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should One's Ancestors' Actions/Beliefs Dictate What One Does/Believes Today?
Yes - we should be bound to the actions/beliefs of ancestors from a bygone era under different circumstances 0 0%
Only when it benefits my political party, otherwise I recognize the poor logic 1 4.35%
No - people should not be bound by their ancestors' beliefs and actions, they live in the here and now under their own circumstances 22 95.65%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 08:59 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,069,270 times

Advertisements

My ancestors were vikings who raped, burned, plundered and pillaged their way across Europe. Do I feel like partaking in the self-loathing of these kinds of moronic just-pound-your-face-into-a-brick-wall and get-it-over-with threads, because we're all bad, bad, BAD people?

Nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 09:05 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
If my father stole from your family and I now am benefiting from the exploits of that theft, then I would feel obligated to adequately compensate either you, or your family, for your family's loss.

If my father was a thief, I would not have any desire to follow in his footsteps by causing others to suffer loss.

Interesting that both Gulianis and Kushners - top top POTUS advisors and friends/family, had fathers that were thieves. Quite a coincidence!

Other than beliefs - which certain "trickle down" there is the subject of environment and DNA. In this sense - no matter how we answer the poll or what we believe, the truth is the truth. DNA affects one generation to the next and cannot be escaped or just thrown aside.

If our ancestors beliefs and DNA are positive, we should try to adopt and/or learn from those and actually increase the positive effects of same on mankind. If these things are negative, dated or ignorant we should try to cast aside those traits and lessons and come into the present and the future.

To a large degree, this is what I see happening among many people.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:07 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
My ancestors were vikings who raped, burned, plundered and pillaged their way across Europe. Do I feel like partaking in the self-loathing of these kinds of moronic just-pound-your-face-into-a-brick-wall and get-it-over-with threads, because we're all bad, bad, BAD people?

Nope.
But after that they were some of the first people to realize the values of peace - and those were your more direct (closer) ancestors, so progress was made and you are the result of that.

I don't see the harm in understanding that history is a quest toward peace, understanding, education and a better life for all...without plundering needed.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:28 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,069,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
But after that they were some of the first people to realize the values of peace - and those were your more direct (closer) ancestors, so progress was made and you are the result of that.

I don't see the harm in understanding that history is a quest toward peace, understanding, education and a better life for all...without plundering needed.
CG - if that was actually the goal of all of these kinds of threads, I wouldn't see the harm either. But too many of these threads (IMHO) are meant to do one of two things - instill group guilt (as an attempt to derail conversations and/or to attempt to influence targeted voting blocks) OR sanction a persons' own self-loathing by pulling others along for the ride.

And it's not just these threads. It's on college campuses. It's in news stories. It's in op-eds. It's in social justice think tanks. And on and on (and on). There's no ultimate goal of "greater understanding". It's about what it's always about - money, power, control.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:05 AM

26,494 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
CG - if that was actually the goal of all of these kinds of threads, I wouldn't see the harm either. But too many of these threads (IMHO) are meant to do one of two things - instill group guilt (as an attempt to derail conversations and/or to attempt to influence targeted voting blocks) OR sanction a persons' own self-loathing by pulling others along for the ride.

And it's not just these threads. It's on college campuses. It's in news stories. It's in op-eds. It's in social justice think tanks. And on and on (and on). There's no ultimate goal of "greater understanding". It's about what it's always about - money, power, control.
How is this thread about self-loathing?

I clearly indicate that you should not be attached to the beliefs and actions of your past ancestors and voted that way.

Quote:
What?

Depends...

Just change the laws, but don't do it due to some Alt-Right agenda to keep people of color out!

Seems kinda convenient all of a sudden with Trump's Alt-Right staff serving as advisors...

Like I said, if you're within the 10 mile limt, you got 24 hours to cross. After that, nobody gets in....

Yes, just this one time!

If you're in, then you're in....

That's it!
You are a bit scattered.

Why do you assume that immigration reform is about keeping people of color out and that only? If that is the best you have to support the current immigration policy today, I can see why you want the crutch of the ridiculous logic that we should be bound to the actions and beliefs of our ancestors.

You say a one time amnesty, but we've had those before. When does it stop?

If you could refocus back on to the topic at hand...shouldn't we argue for immigration based on the merits of the here and now, like you are starting to do as opposed to the weak logic of one being tied to what their ancestors did?

Either allowing a million mostly low-skilled people in every year is good for America and our changing economy with more and more automation or it isn't. It isn't good or bad for America based on whether or not we had the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882 a long time ago.

Either allowing anyone to enter the country so long as they are precisely within "10 miles" of the border and a path to immediate citizenship is good policy or setting a bad precedent for today...and this must stand on its own merits based on America TODAY - regardless of whether Timmy's great-great-great-grandfather walked over from Canada more than a century before he was born.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:36 AM

1,704 posts, read 749,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
How is this thread about self-loathing?

I clearly indicate that you should not be attached to the beliefs and actions of your past ancestors and voted that way.

You are a bit scattered.

Why do you assume that immigration reform is about keeping people of color out and that only? If that is the best you have to support the current immigration policy today, I can see why you want the crutch of the ridiculous logic that we should be bound to the actions and beliefs of our ancestors.

You say a one time amnesty, but we've had those before. When does it stop?

If you could refocus back on to the topic at hand...shouldn't we argue for immigration based on the merits of the here and now, like you are starting to do as opposed to the weak logic of one being tied to what their ancestors did?

Either allowing a million mostly low-skilled people in every year is good for America and our changing economy with more and more automation or it isn't. It isn't good or bad for America based on whether or not we had the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882 a long time ago.

Either allowing anyone to enter the country so long as they are precisely within "10 miles" of the border and a path to immediate citizenship is good policy or setting a bad precedent for today...and this must stand on its own merits based on America TODAY - regardless of whether Timmy's great-great-great-grandfather walked over from Canada more than a century before he was born.
Trump's Alt-Right campaign was primarily focused upon building a wall and restricting northern migration across our southernmost border.

IMO

This wall is an Alt-Right iconic symbol to keep Mexicans and other people of color out! If they were unskilled Europeans from Sweden, Poland, or Norway, they would be welcomed and immediately placed upon the path to citizenship.

Any belief our ancestors had should be completely purged of anything toxic or deleterious to the future prosperity of humanity. Only beliefs based upon sound judgement, the scientific method, and benevolent technology should be preserved.

The emotion of guilt is only useful if it inspires one to execute justice, correct past transgressions, or govern more judiciously.

Given our history, it suddenly seems conspicuously convenient to suddenly change the rules and laws about immigration. That's especially so, as it applies to our southern neighbors in this time of Trump.

Admittedly, immigration must be addressed. However, it must be done with civility, respect, and without racial animosity.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:16 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
What?
Depends...

Just change the laws, but don't do it due to some Alt-Right agenda to keep people of color out!

Seems kinda convenient all of a sudden with Trump's Alt-Right staff serving as advisors...

Like I said, if you're within the 10 mile limt, you got 24 hours to cross. After that, nobody gets in....

Yes, just this one time!

If you're in, then you're in....

That's it!

New to America? It would be the EIGHTH time.

And for the millionth time - it isn't to keep people of color out - since not all illegals are people of color. But that doesn't fit your narrative - so don't let facts get in the way of your whine.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:37 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
New to America? It would be the EIGHTH time.

And for the millionth time - it isn't to keep people of color out - since not all illegals are people of color. But that doesn't fit your narrative - so don't let facts get in the way of your whine.
This logic by the left begs the question...if we deduce that this illegal immigration is harmful to our society are we obligated to let them in to the country anyway and endure the harm simply because that are non white? Maybe we don't want to keep them out because they are non white, but rather they want to let them in because they are non white. And what would be the purpose of that?

Old 05-16-2018, 07:09 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
This logic by the left begs the question...if we deduce that this illegal immigration is harmful to our society are we obligated to let them in to the country anyway and endure the harm simply because that are non white? Maybe we don't want to keep them out because they are non white, but rather they want to let them in because they are non white. And what would be the purpose of that?
That does seem to be what they're saying. All we hear is brown people brown people brown people - and they're the only ones talking about that, so they must think that equates to a free pass to violate our laws.

I know the agenda some folks have - it's a larger voting base.

Others just hate America and will always put Americans last.

And some are just truly ignorant and ignore all facts about how this is a drain on our country that we simply cannot afford.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:19 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,698,667 times
Is there even anything do discuss? It seems like posters are in near-universal agreement on the poll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies