Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 09:36 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Gotta say, if you live in New York, you are going to hear Spanish spoken all over the place.
That what strikes me as so odd about this whole story. There has got to be several million Spanish-speaking people in New York City. The racist nimrod in question looks to be late 30s/early 40s.

How can someone living in a place like New York City, a melting pot of diversity, where you probably hear people speaking Spanish in passing probably 10+ times a day, suddenly be triggered to go on a veins-in-your-forehead bulging rant all of a sudden?

In this 2018 world we live in, it's crazy how people still can't manage to control their rage and go on these public rants, knowing full well that somebody will probably catch it on camera and post it for the world to see. In this case, this guy has already been exposed as being a d-bag by his college classmates, and pictures of him at White Nationalist rallies have been posted to social media.

Congratulations, jerk. You've gone viral. The entire country now knows you're an a-hole.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:39 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
That what strikes me as so odd about this whole story. There has got to be several million Spanish-speaking people in New York City. The racist nimrod in question looks to be late 30s/early 40s.

How can someone living in a place like New York City, a melting pot of diversity, where you probably hear people speaking Spanish in passing probably 10+ times a day, suddenly be triggered to go on a veins-in-your-forehead bulging rant all of a sudden?

In this 2018 world we live in, it's crazy how people still can't manage to control their rage and go on these public rants, knowing full well that somebody will probably catch it on camera and post it for the world to see. In this case, this guy has already been exposed as being a d-bag by his college classmates, and pictures of him at White Nationalist rallies have been posted to social media.

Congratulations, jerk. You've gone viral. The entire country now knows you're an a-hole.
Indeed true. Even subway ads are in Spanish half the time.

A fella may not like it, but going ballistic in public is insane.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:42 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Stories like this help restore my faith in mankind:

"Someone crowdfunded a mariachi band, piñatas, and a taco truck to show up outside Schlossberg's offices at a time to be determined."

https://www.gofundme.com/Mariachisforaaron

That is hilarious!

Old 05-17-2018, 09:51 AM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Adding "Esq." is the equivalent of someone putting "Mister" in front of his name. Those are the designations of complete horse's asses.
Normally I’d say Aaron Schlossberg’s douchebaggery could only be exceeded if he had insisted on being addressed as “Dr” because he received his JD. In light of this videotaped incident, however, I am waiving that requirement. Aaron Schlossberg, Esq. has indeed reached the pinnacle of douchebaggery.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:52 AM

37,199 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Europe has about double the population of the US occupying about the same amount of land with how many languages and derivations spoken? If every state in the US spoke a different language I'm fairly confident the percentage that is bilingual would rise.

The other thing is English is the language of the world and more specifically the internet. There is a web application project I belong to and the majority of the team members do not speak English natively, English is required whether you are part of the project or someone using the forum for support. There is alternatives for support but they are not official. This has nothing to with bias against other languages but simply a matter of efficiency and being able to communicate. Most major projects operate in the same way.

Lastly I will point out one more thing, a nation or organization of nations like the EU divided by language is divided. It's not too much of a stretch to suggest that division played a role in starting two world wars. A single language binds people together.
English has become the language of technology because of its flexibilty in co-opting words from all languages. Not all people speak it as a second language. A single language would be handy for international communications, as it is in your applications, but it will never happen.

The fact remains, English may be the primary language spoken in the United States, but it has NEVER been the only or "official" language of the United States, regardless of its de facto status. If you want to do business with more clients, it is helpful to speak their language, since they may not have had enough experience yet to be proficient in English. It's a business thing.

https://www.ethnologue.com/guides/how-many-languages

Old 05-17-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I like those employees. The manager who posted that extreme idiocy should have been fired.
The manager who posted that should never have been allowed in management.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:56 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
What part was racist?

Old 05-17-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Gotta say, if you live in New York, you are going to hear Spanish spoken all over the place.
When I visit New York, I generally hear at least a dozen languages spoken. Go to Chinatown or Little Italy (if you can still find it) or a deli on the Lower East Side and listen. Better yet, sit on a bench on the edge of Central Park and listen to the people walking past. New York is a polyglot. Love it or leave it.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:00 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
His name is Aaron Schlossberg. He is an attorney and practices out of his tiny little firm. Went to Hopkins undergrad and some second tier law school GW or some such. None of his former classmates is surprised by his actions. He puts esq. behind his name, and that’s all you really need to know.
He will probably have a job on the Fox News network soon, as a legal analyst/commentator. Or, maybe Trump will add him to his legal team.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:34 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,932 times
Guy is a dumb fk. End of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies