Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2018, 02:52 PM

21,033 posts, read 19,515,046 times

Advertisements

This will only catch on among those parents who really care about their children. The rest are addicted to the free daycare that schools provide.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:57 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,732,081 times
If they want to go that route, the biggest threat to children are parents, relatives and being in a car.

School in itself is not stressful, dealing with other students are.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:03 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,453,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Again, yet another excuse.

Mass schooling, mental health, video games etc etc etc

Blame literally anything except the proliferation of guns.
Our country has had guns forever but not school shootings. You can't blame it only on guns.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:04 PM

42,758 posts, read 26,029,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Drugs are illegal (assuming you mean illegal drugs), guns are not; that is one big difference. A kid can also take a knife, steal a car, take a hammer, baseball bat, rat poison, etc and commit crimes with those objects; should the parents be charged?
As soon as law enforcement uses the smart gun tech, then maybe people will consider it, bit I doubt you will see them using it any time soon, I will leave you with wondering why that is...Plus, the link you provided states it is not even available yet.
Also, what guns are most likely used in a school shooting?
What guns are most likely to be used in school shootings? I'm sure you know, so why are you asking me that?

It depends upon the state you live on but most states have laws that hold parents responsible when they don't take proper precautions to avoid their child from being harmed.

Mother arrested when 2 year old overdoses on prescription drugs

Parents arrested when 11 and 15 year old shoot their older sibling

You can be held liable if you kid drinks and drives even if you didn't know he was drinking

So, yes I think that it's reasonable to hold parent's responsible if they didn't take reasonable care to keep guns away from their children

Old 05-21-2018, 03:04 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,453,968 times
Quote:
If they want to go that route, the biggest threat to children are parents, relatives and being in a car.

School in itself is not stressful, dealing with other students are.
So where do you think the other students are? IN THE SCHOOL. LOL

Old 05-21-2018, 03:05 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,151,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Our country has had guns forever but not school shootings. You can't blame it only on guns.
Agreed. But they do need to be part of any discussion. There is no single answer to the problem.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:11 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,791,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Unenforceable? If a kid gets in their parent's stash of drugs and dies of an overdose the parents are criminally charged, why not apply that same principle to parents who don't secure their guns?

Metal detectors are only useful if there is an armed guard positioned at every single one of them. There isn't enough money in most school budgets to pay teachers a decent wage but you want to divert what little there is to hiring armed guards and installing metal detectors, neither of which would work by the way unless you replaced all the windows in every school with bullet proof glass. And if two kids are working in concert then all that BS still won't protect kids, one goes in the school without any guns or ammos and the other kid throws the stuff over the fence to him. Sometimes you just have to stop and think about the idiocy of these 'remedies'.

Why not just require that all new guns sold be 'smart guns', and retrofit the guns most likely used in school shootings with smart technology?
https://smarttechfoundation.org/colu...vated-firearm/
About the remedies, that is the problem exactly. Metal detectors work if they aren't breached by accomplices. If friend A is in school and knows friend B is coming with guns, they can open wants for them or pass bags over fence. Also some kids could scale fences and then pick off other students. Or shoot outside the perimeter.

Quote:
Drugs are illegal (assuming you mean illegal drugs), guns are not; that is one big difference. A kid can also take a knife, steal a car, take a hammer, baseball bat, rat poison, etc and commit crimes with those objects; should the parents be charged?

As soon as law enforcement uses the smart gun tech, then maybe people will consider it, bit I doubt you will see them using it any time soon, I will leave you with wondering why that is...Plus, the link you provided states it is not even available yet.

Also, what guns are most likely used in a school shooting?
Stop with your whataboutism, the fact is guns are designed to kill while cars and baseball bat aren't. Depending on intended use of said knife, I'll give you knives weren't. My father (a hunter mind you) agrees with me on this.

As for your strawman argument for school attacks with other potential weapons:
Cars are banned from school, if you don't have a parking pass.
Baseball bats are banned pending suspension (similar to guns and drugs) except for PE or sport teams.
Pocket knives have also been banned with impending suspension for a long time too.
Rat poison I'm not sure if it is banned as it isn't overtly stated in the policy of the district I work in, but I would imagine poisoning is banned.

Why shouldn't a parent who allows their children to have guns to shoot up schools be charged as accessories to murder if not involuntary manslaughter?

Old 05-21-2018, 03:15 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,613,410 times
ah, I finally get it!

stay tuned, conservatives! I know how you all love a good conspiracy story!

there are people who want to return to the glory days of the 1950s. they have finally figured out how to do just that!

kill kids in schools with the blessing of the second amendment (let's gloss over that pesky 'well regulated militia' part) so parents will be scared to send their kids to school.

then, of course, one parent will have to quit their job to home school their brood. hmm, I wonder if it will be the mother or the father?

since men traditionally make more money, I guess the mother would give up her job and become that all-important touchstone, the HOMEMAKER!

voila! a return to the mythical 50s!

(pearls and high heels worn to vacuum optional)

Old 05-21-2018, 03:19 PM

10,503 posts, read 6,120,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

Why do you have a mental block when the word 'gun' is mentioned?

How do you guys do it? You will blame literally anything else. Literally anything.
Why can't you even consider that guns are to blame?

It's the same mentality as religious fundamentalism.
Like flat earthers that deny the world is round despite all the evidence.

Don't you ever question yourself?

We've tried adding more guns,. Guess what? IT'S NOT WORKING.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:21 PM

25,434 posts, read 18,567,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Blame literally anything except the proliferation of guns.
Because it's the GUNS that are killing the people. People have nothing to do with it. Elementary, my dear Watson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies