Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2018, 09:20 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
They don't check homework, why would they check for guns?
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Oh that's unfair....many parents are involved in their child's schoolwork.

My point is there seems to be so many signs beforehand, in some cases, that might have predicted a child that could respond to school or personal problems with violence.....but you'd have to be constantly alert for the signs, I guess...

Doesn't a trench coat worn daily remind parents of Columbine shooters?

It seems obvious to me...
When my children were young, sure, but when they were teenagers? No, I refrained from checking their homework. I watched grades for indications of trouble and intervened if I saw that they were struggling, but I was not overly-involved in my kids' schoolwork. That was their responsibility, not mine.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:23 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,349,201 times
Even if their child was being bullied I doubt the average level headed parent would think thwt their child would do something so heinous and check their rooms as a precaution.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:35 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
I'm sure it utterly eludes you that you just described yourself and the rest of the ignorant anti gun nuts in the US.

Facts still elude you. Guess what IT IS WORKING. In spite of what your liberal media spews every day the murder rate is LOWER than it's been in 20 years inspite of there being MORE GUNS.

It's clear you people have no intention of making anyone safer, you simply want to ban guns.
Guess what? It ISN'T working.

Mass shootings are what we are concerned with here so you can spew what you like, I couldn't care less.

From Feb 2018:

Quote:
Mass shootings in the US: there have been 1,624 in 1,870 days

No other developed nation comes close to the rate of US gun violence. Americans own an estimated 265m guns, more than one gun for every adult.
Data from the Gun Violence Archive reveals there is a mass shooting – defined as four or more people shot in one incident, not including the shooter – nine out of every 10 days on average
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...s-gun-violence

You have to be either blind or stupid to not recognise that children in America are being murdered in their own classrooms.

NO OTHER DEVELOPED NATION COMES CLOSE.

I couldn't care less about the historical murder rate. I care about kids being shot en masse in their own classrooms.

I'm sure it utterly eludes you that you just placed yourself with the rest of the ignorant gun nuts in the US.
It's clear you people have no intention of making children safer, you are simply in love with guns.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:41 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
[quote=janelle144;51960160]https://fee.org/articles/in-the-wake...rce=zapier&utm

If you are justifying home schooling based on that tiny tiny fraction of risk then you sure as heck better not ever let them drive or go swimming or go hunting etc.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:27 AM

16,599 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Teens LEARNED from Columbine, and now so many other shootings, that YOU CAN GET REVENGE on those you feel have harmed you....
So are you saying teenagers have always been on the verge of evil insanity throughout American history, and once the two nutjobs in Columbine showed how it could be done, others have essentially copied them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
These incel or misogynist sites praise and encourage the killers, particularly if they murder a lot of female victims. That's pretty sick.
Even if that were true, if the killers themselves are not misogynists or are not even aware of these sites, how does it correlate?
There could be other sickos with websites that glorify evil, such as satanic cults. But that hardly makes the killers satanists.

`

Old 05-23-2018, 12:43 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
But kids did bring guns into school and kill their teachers and classmates. They killed their parents and ex girlfriends too. Just not enmasse. And it was on the local news only.

I'll bet everyone over 40 knows a story from their own community.
I'm way over 40 and never heard of anyone killing a teacher or classmate--and I know I'm not the only one who never heard of this stuff in the distant past.

Trying to justify this violence by saying it went on in the past too, is just plain wrong. In my town, I don't ever remember anyone having a gun. In the previous generation (my grandparents) people did own rifles and if was for hunting. They didn't stash handguns in their dresser drawers or leave them around the house.

Back in our day we DID hear of accidents--like when my dad was a little boy and another kid was messing around with a hunting rifle and blew his own brains out because he didn't think the gun was loaded. But people had hunting rifles, took pride in them, and had a certain respect for them. They hunted so they could feed their families. They didn't kill their ex girlfriends and their parents--really! You need to stop believing nonsense like this.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:41 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
The US has a higher homicide rate, correct. Why guns they're convenient tools to commit homicides. That said pop quiz. UK homicide rate higher in 2016 (last published) or 1997 (1997 Firearms Amendment Act passed)? Would it be 1997? Why yes, yes it would, further, has the homicide rate ever been as low as 1997? No, no it would not. So while the UKs homicide rate is lower than the US, and it has lower gun deaths, it's actual homicide rate has not been reduced by gun bans. More people are killed, and people are still killed with guns, and the most popular form factor of gun homicides is the banned handgun. So is there some reason that being murdered by gun is more heinous than being murdered by any other method?

I'm not saying that banning guns increased homicides in the UK, let's be clear on that, but it did not reduce homicides either, and did not stop homicides with banned firearms.

Now yes the UKs homicide rate is much lower than the US, but that's an apples to oranges comparison, the US equally has a much lower homicide rate than Mexico, so what. However, apples to apples in the historical record, the benefit of firearms regulation in the UK is not proven given its own crime stats.

So why do you think increased regulation in the US will reduce the rate of homicide?
You don't seem to understand, the Firearms Amendment Act was an AMENDMENT, before 97 there were laws in this country that meant people didn't own guns like in the US, you see the more guns there are around the more people are going to DIE, that is the point. People in the UK are allowed to own guns but there are REGULATIONS (just like traffic regulations are in place to minimise road traffic accidents), and these REGULATIONS mean you can't wander around Tesco's with your rifle slung over your shoulder. And hey presto the amount of people dying in countries with regulations is MASSIVELY less than in the US. Like I've said before, it ain't rocket science. Why not try doing something about it over there instead of the (quite frankly) pathetic excuses gun nuts come out with (freedom etc) PEOPLE ARE LOSING THEIR LIVES (OFTEN KIDS) IN BIG NUMBERS BECAUSE OF THIS STUPIDITY.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Another European who has absolutely no idea what he's talking about. You have no idea what the guns laws are in the US. So genius why does your capital have a higher murder rate than New York if your "tighter gun laws" are such a perfect solution?
If you want to compare murder rates I suggest you look at some of the previous links I provided. In the UK around 100 people lose their lives every year because of guns in the US its around 30'000. Yes that's right THIRTY THOUSAND, now answer me this (without talking about cars or trees or trying to discount anybody under the age of 40 in the figures) WHY IS THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE LOSING THEIR LIVES BY GUNS IN THE USA SO ASTRANOMICALLY HIGH? Now answer just that question if you can please.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Im not jumping into the debate between the two of you, but you need to be more detailed about what you are arguing. Saying 30K gun deaths is a little disingenuous. Nearly 22K of that 33K were suicides and accidents, that is a HUGE chunk of them and should not be counted in the dynamic of gun control and school shootings. Suicides are a completely different story. Your real number should be murders by gun, which is around 11K out of that 33K
I'm sorry but I fail to see why we shouldn't count suicides and accidents in the total amount of people killed by guns? Makes me laugh when you proudly pronounce 11'000 murders as some kind of 'acceptable' number too!

Old 05-23-2018, 02:15 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Then don't buy it.
So typical. A rational question is asked that an anti gunner knows if he answers truthfully will weaken his argument so he just deflects the challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies