Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2018, 05:15 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,283,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
It is happening everywhere. Aurora in a movie theatre, Las Vegas at a concert, Orlando in a nightclub, at a bible study in Charleston, at a church in Sutherland Springs TX. Everywhere.
Absolutely everywhere...

Community centers, restaurants, and countless office buildings around the country.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:16 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Show me where I said anything about criminals buying guns legally. The poster I quoted only said that criminals have difficultly getting firearms. Nothing was said about how they obtained those firearms.

This thread is about a school shooting that happened in Texas. The shooter used his father's gun to kill 10 people at his school. This goes far beyond who is able to buy guns legally. Its about access to guns.
the shooter used a 38 revolver which was legal... a sawed-off shot gun which was NOT legal...may have been legal years ago, but once modified and sawed-off, it is illegal.... pipebombs (not legal), pressurecooker bombs(bombs are not legal, the pot is), gasoline cocktails (not legal) , and a knife.....

you talk about access... yet half of the weapons he had were already illegal....

guns don't kill... the people using the gun do

the problem isn't the guns...its the crazy, mentally instable, people that liberals refuse to admit that there is a problem with

Old 05-19-2018, 05:19 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the shooter used a 38 revolver which was legal... a sawed-off shot gun which was NOT legal...may have been legal years ago, but once modified and sawed-off, it is illegal.... pipebombs (not legal), pressurecooker bombs(bombs are not legal, the pot is), gasoline cocktails (not legal) , and a knife.....

you talk about access... yet half of the weapons he had were already illegal....

guns don't kill... the people using the gun do

the problem isn't the guns...its the crazy, mentally instable, people that liberals refuse to admit that there is a problem with
I have never seen any liberal deny mental health is a key contributing factor.

You gotta any links or quotes?

So how do we keep the guns out of the hands of those that are mentally il?

That's the discussion we should be having.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:22 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I have never seen any liberal deny mental health is a key contributing factor.

You gotta any links or quotes?

So how do we keep the guns out of the hands of those that are mentally il?

That's the discussion we should be having.
Rep for an actual attempt at discussion.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:30 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
What type of gun do you predict will be the firearm of choice in the next school mass shooting?
Why does it matter when the end result is the same?

If a terrorist decides to run you over in a crowd of people, does it really matter if if the truck they use is Ford or a Chevy?

The murderer doesn't care much about the tool they use as long as it accomplishes the job.

The type of gun used is as irrelevant as the type of truck.

Which is what we've been trying to tell you for years now.
A shotgun and a revolver can be equally devestating to an AR-15 in the same, enclosed environment like a classroom.

It's the killer, not the weapon.

Maybe it's time we insist the media take some responsibility and stop giving these killers the recognition the desire.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:45 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
wrong...… for suicides.. if they didn't have a gun..they would find a different way

guns are used, why?? because the ease and finality of it.... too many WANTED suicides stopped when they popped pills, tried to hang themselves poorly, survived the bridge jump, etc

why are you against the humane end of life for the inflicted???
It is true that if a person were to commit suicide they would do something else if they didn't have access to a gun. What we are talking about is a murder-suicide, in particular mass murder-suicides, not a lone suicide where a person might slit themselves, OD or jump. Besides Tuscon's shopping center shooting, Aurora's theater shooting, Parkland's Majory Stoneman Douglas shooting and now Sante Fe, a good number if not MOST mass shooters, have committed suicide at the scene (Columbine, Sandy Hook, Vegas).

Quote:
oh please

99% who do/or try to commit suicide do it for reason that no ''socialworker' would ever be able to help

if I am stage 4 liver/lung cancer...and my family is going to suffer watching me suffer, and its going to cost my entire assets,...don't you think it should be my choice to end my life, and avoid my family and myself suffering real pain

yet the fascist liberals are against humanity... yet support the animals of ms13
It is not 99% and you know that. A good number is accidental like auto-erotica exphixia (Michael Hutchensen of INXS and potentially Chris Cornell of Soundgarden), others are due to financial strain, others are mental illness including depression and bi-polar. Demi Lovato was on a road to commiting suicide due to bi-polar in 2010-12 until she got help around the time she was a coach for her first season of The X-Factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
"Gun owners" do not have any more liberties than every single other citizen.

What " liberties " do those that dislike firearms not have?
Well that their cherub who can "do no wrong" can pop a cap in my ass when they snap like a Slim Jim or the fact that despite being a known danger, they can't have their guns removed or if they are, their parents can give them back to them.

Quote:
Then why do only 10% of people who survive an attempted suicide, later die from another suicide attempt? It would seem like 90% of people do actually get the help that they need, and not just 1% as you want to claim.

And having to clean chunks of your flesh and brains from the ceiling isn't going to cause your family any pain? Knowing that you ended your life in such a violent way, that isn't going to cause your family pain? Or if you end up being part of the 10% who fail at suicide by gun? All those hospital bills, possibly becoming a vegetable, that isn't going to cost your family their entire assets?

You seem to be confusing dying with dignity with those who have mental health issues. They're not the same. Do some research.
Exactly, they aren't. This is a refutable strawman. See my comments where I showed the others who commit suicide.

Quote:
Show me where I said anything about criminals buying guns legally. The poster I quoted only said that criminals have difficultly getting firearms. Nothing was said about how they obtained those firearms.

This thread is about a school shooting that happened in Texas. The shooter used his father's gun to kill 10 people at his school. This goes far beyond who is able to buy guns legally. Its about access to guns.
Exactly, parents have allowed too many mass shooters access to guns. Look at Sandy Hook, Waffle House and now Sante Fe. It's a sickening trend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Obviously a dress code might stop school shootings, eh? Or at least move them from the South up to colder Climes.
I'm mixed on this idea. On the one-hand it would help distinguish students from non-students much easier BUT I disagree with it for two reasons: lack of expression by students and it wouldn't stop students from bringing guns in through their jackets or in the cuff of their pants. Even outside of medal detection, it would be a soft target. Trust me, I work security and this was a worry in a post-Ariana Grande London bombing world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
The high school I went to had plenty of Gothic students who wore trench coats in hot Texas weather, I wouldn't exactly call it a red flag.
Yeah. Too many cite strawmen in regards to violence in music and video games or typecasting. I don't know if he was a Goth or not but I knew Goth students, none became shooters. I listen to Manson and Rammstein and I'm normal... I've played violent video games since I was about four, never shot up a school. I've shot rifle as a Boy Scout, I've never thought of shooting up a school. Why, I know what guns can do through the Boy Scouts.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:50 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
Social media/internet is a BIG reason for these shootings in my opinion.........our society is just full of rotten azz people.

The Media should act responsibly and limit coverage to a few minutes on a regular newscast, instead of wall-to-wall-in-your-face-24/7 coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
So you think that these problems didn't exist years ago? How do you explain school shootings in the 1930's, 1940's and 1950's?

School shootings weren't mass shootings in the 1930's, 1940's or 1950's.

Of the nine "school-shootings" (snicker) in the 1930's, three were accidental shootings and two of those were using stage-props for a school play, one was an adult killing another adult; two are unsolved murders in which no other students were present on the premises, two occurred at university involving personal disputes, and one occurred in a public school involving a personal dispute between a student and teacher.

Of the eight "school-shootings" (snicker) in the 1940's, one was an accidental shooting that did not result in death, one was an accidental shooting in which a student wandered onto the target range, three involved adults shooting other adults over personal issues, one teacher was shot by a student over a personal dispute, and in one instance, a father shot his daughter for refusing to leave a boarding school, and in the other, gang members shot a student outside of school for refusing to give up his lunch money.

Of the twenty cases in the 1950s, none were mass shootings. One was an 50-year old man shot by police, three were personal disputes on college campuses, three were accidental, one was the result of a gang war, and the remainder were personal disputes between a student and one other student, or between a student and a teacher or administrator.

To suggest that those shooting in any way compare to the mass shootings that occur in schools now, where large numbers of teachers, administrators and students are indiscriminately because they happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time is ludicrous and absurd.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:15 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Well that their cherub who can "do no wrong" can pop a cap in my ass when they snap like a Slim Jim or the fact that despite being a known danger, they can't have their guns removed or if they are, their parents can give them back to them.

Hoping that I have deciphered your rant correctly;

"Their cherub"?

No one has the "liberty" to "pop a cap in" another person.

Which law states that a "known danger" has "liberty" to firearms ownership, or that parents can override such a law?

Old 05-19-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The Media should act responsibly and limit coverage to a few minutes on a regular newscast, instead of wall-to-wall-in-your-face-24/7 coverage.
The problem is this the media's MO. The only time it wasn't was in the local news era. Once we got the CNNs, FNCs, MSNBCs and internet outlets of the world, we got much much more of it bleeds, it leads than we ever did when it was ABC, CBS, NBC and even Fox. CNN

Quote:
School shootings weren't mass shootings in the 1930's, 1940's or 1950's.

Of the nine "school-shootings" (snicker) in the 1930's, three were accidental shootings and two of those were using stage-props for a school play, one was an adult killing another adult; two are unsolved murders in which no other students were present on the premises, two occurred at university involving personal disputes, and one occurred in a public school involving a personal dispute between a student and teacher.

Of the eight "school-shootings" (snicker) in the 1940's, one was an accidental shooting that did not result in death, one was an accidental shooting in which a student wandered onto the target range, three involved adults shooting other adults over personal issues, one teacher was shot by a student over a personal dispute, and in one instance, a father shot his daughter for refusing to leave a boarding school, and in the other, gang members shot a student outside of school for refusing to give up his lunch money.

Of the twenty cases in the 1950s, none were mass shootings. One was an 50-year old man shot by police, three were personal disputes on college campuses, three were accidental, one was the result of a gang war, and the remainder were personal disputes between a student and one other student, or between a student and a teacher or administrator.

To suggest that those shooting in any way compare to the mass shootings that occur in schools now, where large numbers of teachers, administrators and students are indiscriminately because they happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time is ludicrous and absurd.
They weren't until April 22, 1999. The problem is the NRA 180'd in those 19 years from being pro-gun free zones to wanting more and more and more guns on campus. In those years since the shift from no guns to guns for "good guys" is more and more school shootings. Since Sandy Hook, 1,162 mass shooting have occured roughly one every two days as it was about 2,000 days ago.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Hoping that I have deciphered your rant correctly;

"Their cherub"?
Yep, you read it right. I guess you never heard of cherub being used as slang for child? It means beautiful or innocent child. Look at the Waffle House shooting (even if the shooter was an adult.) Google or Bing it sometime or pull out a dictionary to confirm.

Quote:
No one has the "liberty" to "pop a cap in" another person.
No, but unless they are deemed a danger in states with red flag laws or a violent criminal, they can own guns until the day they die, commit a violent crime (in this case, popping a cap in another person) or decide to dispose of guns. So in a way, they have the "liberty" to "pop a cap in" another person.

Quote:
Which law states that a "known danger" has "liberty" to firearms ownership, or that parents can override such a law?
The second amendment does due to judicial review. Individual states can put limits but the case of the Waffle House shooting proved that it is without teeth if the parents willingly give guns to a person who has no business owning guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies