Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 05:35 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I must point out this is racism!
So.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 06:05 PM

73,006 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Ironic that you bring up that movie since I saw it again last weekend on TV which is disturbing to say the least.
I just don't understand why somebody would try to discredit the achievements of these 3 doctors who overcame obstacles to achieve their dreams.
I have doctors in my family and Med school is no joke !
I've watched clips of Mississippi Burning. One reason I bring it up.

I agree with you that going through medical school is no joke. Alot of rough stuff.

I don't get the point of trying to discredit someone's achievements. Any person who discredits someone else's achievements for the sake of it, it will not elevate the person doing the discrediting. Said person is still in the same spot. However, I am understanding why some people try to discredit the accomplishments of those doctors. While there is some resentment towards affirmative action, that isn't the entire reason. I think it has more to do with anger, bigotry, and the need to put someone else down to make themselves feel better. It goes back to that story that FBI agent Rupert Anderson mentioned. He talked about a man so full of hate that he didn't understand that it was being poor that was killing him. He felt like killing that man's mule would elevate him. It didn't. It just hurt someone else, and Anderson's father was basically a criminal.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
You mean the possible help with financing of poor people so they aren't held back by their lack of funds or "legacies" to get into better schools?

Did GW Bush get into Yale due to his top 1% intelligence? Did he get into the National Guard instead of going to Nam due to his luck?

Affirmative action, right?

The name is a good one. If it's Affirmative, that means sorta good. You are playing backwards day again....

Our neurosurgeon is African American. He is rated as one of the very best - among the top 10 in the USA. If you had a massive brain tumor you'd probably fly to Boston (Kings and Princes and others from all over the world do) in order to have him work on you....

He's the one they picked for "Boston Med" where he performed one of the most difficult operations possible and fixed up some white dude who looked like a working class hunter from PA.....

25 Most Stylish Bostonians of 2010 -- William Curry Jr. - The Boston Globe
We can also add the factor that women benefit from affirmative action.

And here is another irony. Whites who apply to HBCUs can get scholarships and HBCUs are trying to get more White students to attend them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...e767_blog.html

Old 05-18-2018, 06:39 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,327,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Prove it to me that they didn't get into med school because of Affirmative Action.

Why don't you prove the proof, search engines are available. No Medicine School is going to accept you without an impressive MCAT score, doesn't make a difference if you're black, white, red, yellow or brown.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:14 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Why don't you prove the proof, search engines are available. No Medicine School is going to accept you without an impressive MCAT score, doesn't make a difference if you're black, white, red, yellow or brown.
It’s the law.

You seem to enjoy arguing with the law.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 05-18-2018 at 08:22 PM..

Old 05-18-2018, 08:15 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So.
So it’s racism! Anybody supporting racism or racist law such as Affirmative Action is a racist. A racist doesn’t belong to this civilized society.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:49 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
Good luck to these 3 men.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Good luck to these 3 men.
I hope they become the best doctors that they can be. I want for nothing less than the best for them. They came up from nightmarish beginnings to become successful. They beat the odds. They worked hard and they deserve it.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:54 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Awesome story.

Good for them.

And good for America. Good for the Americans who built a society where talented individuals can succeed despite having no support from their dysfunctional, criminally inclined families and communities, or even having criminal backgrounds themselves.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
And good for America. Good for the Americans who built a society where talented individuals can succeed despite having no support from their dysfunctional, criminally inclined families and communities, or even having criminal backgrounds themselves.
At least you get it. This is about three people who rose out of some of the worst life could through at them, and they became people we can all be proud of. Perhaps their story can be something of hope for those still stuck in some of the worst places in America. More stories like this need to be heard. We already have enough bad news to tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies