Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 08:43 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times

Advertisements

Bring back Sheriff Joe....

Old 05-19-2018, 08:44 PM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
... And Republicans.

Let's not forget AZ is a red state. There are way more Republicans in government than Democrats.

They are mostly in Tucson and Phoenix two cities with democrat mayors if you want to make this a red blue debate.

But to get away from politics on this. The homeless come to Arizona and California because of the mild weather. Places like Buffalo would not be a good place to be homeless. And others cannot keep up with the high cost of living in California. Not really a blue state problem but a cost of living problem.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:45 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
I live in Maricopa county and I never see any homeless folks on my daily running around. Saw a lot of homeless when I lived on the Big Island.
That’s simply not possible unless you live so far out in the county that you aren’t near people or you simply don’t get out.

Maricopa County is chock full of homeless people, and they simply can’t be missed. Sorry. It ain’t possible. The East and West Valleys have ‘em all over the place.

I live in Cochise County, and they’re all over the damn place. Same for Pinal and Pima Counties. The vagrancy in Pima County is at epidemic proportions. If you own a vacant rental property, vagrants continuously squat in your home. My best buddy chases out vagrants from his properties so often that he’s thinking about leaving the rental property business.

I’m sorry, but you must be completely impervious to your surroundings.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
They are mostly in Tucson and Phoenix two cities with democrat mayors if you want to make this a red blue debate.

But to get away from politics on this. The homeless come to Arizona and California because of the mild weather. Places like Buffalo would not be a good place to be homeless. And others cannot keep up with the high cost of living in California. Not really a blue state problem but a cost of living problem.
Tucson and Phoenix have Democrats for mayors, but both have Republican representation in Congress, and I’m not taking about just the Senate. If Tucson and Phoenix were so liberal, we wouldn’t even have two Republicans in the US Senate. Arizona is a rock solid red state. There’s no valid counter argument to that. Without Tucson and Phoenix, Arizona wouldn’t be more than some desert territory.

Moreover, when places like Detroit are ripped as Democrat enclaves, people excuse the fact that Republican governors presided over the decline of Michigan’s cities. So if it goes one way, then it has to go the other.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:53 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That’s simply not possible unless you live so far out in the county that you aren’t near people or you simply don’t get out.

Maricopa County is chock full of homeless people, and they simply can’t be missed. Sorry. It ain’t possible. The East and West Valleys have ‘em all over the place.

I live in Cochise County, and they’re all over the damn place. Same for Pinal and Pima Counties. The vagrancy in Pima County is at epidemic proportions. If you own a vacant rental property, vagrants continuously squat in your home. My best buddy chases out vagrants from his properties so often that he’s thinking about leaving the rental property business.

I’m sorry, but you must be completely impervious to your surroundings.
I don't see any homeless people in my part of the metro - sw suburbs. Sometimes there are panhandlers at the Litchfield Road exit from I10 but that is it. I know they live under the bridges on the Gila, though, but they don't come around here. They start brush fires once in a while in the riverbed. Most of the homeless live in downtown Phoenix near St. Vinnie's where the bleeding hearts are giving them water, food, and shelter.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:03 PM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Tucson and Phoenix have Democrats for mayors, but both have Republican representation in Congress, and I’m not taking about just the Senate. If Tucson and Phoenix were so liberal, we wouldn’t even have two Republicans in the US Senate. Arizona is a rock solid red state. There’s no valid counter argument to that. Without Tucson and Phoenix, Arizona wouldn’t be more than some desert territory.

Moreover, when places like Detroit are ripped as Democrat enclaves, people excuse the fact that Republican governors presided over the decline of Michigan’s cities. So if it goes one way, then it has to go the other.
So the question in your opinion why are there so many homeless in Arizona? The OP seems to want to make the case that it is a republican state and that is why. But that is just as lame as blaming the democrats for the California homeless problem.

I know both states very well. I have spend most of my life in one or the other.

It is not a partisan issue. A big percentage of homeless have either drug or mental health issues. Lots of them want to live on the streets.

The issue is how to deal with people who have a drug or mental health issue. Neither lefty California or righty Arizona have a solution at this point. But its fun to point fingers.

Its always "their" fault.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Bring back Sheriff Joe....
LMAO...vagrants were all over the place in Maricopa County when he was Sheriff. WTH is he gonna do about it?

Old 05-19-2018, 09:11 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Take a good look at red state America, in this case Arizona.

What the right don't want people to know is that they've an even worse homeless problem than CA. There are roughly 114,000 homeless in CA, or roughly 0.2% of the population. There are 40,000 homeless in AZ, roughly 0.5% of the population! On a per cap basis, AZ produces more homeless than CA.

Why Phoenix's homelessness crisis defies easy answers

Lot of talk but no walk on homeless issue - Glendale, AZ

As homelessness grows, so does Ahwatukee prof’s outreach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIztsDCxLMM

Last I checked, Glendale which is a suburb of Phoenix, is run by Democrat rules.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I don't see any homeless people in my part of the metro - sw suburbs. Sometimes there are panhandlers at the Litchfield Road exit from I10 but that is it. I know they live under the bridges on the Gila, though, but they don't come around here. They start brush fires once in a while in the riverbed. Most of the homeless live in downtown Phoenix near St. Vinnie's where the bleeding hearts are giving them water, food, and shelter.
Lol...”bleeding hearts.” Yeah, ok.

They don’t come out into the suburbs because the burbs don’t have any services. That’s why why Valley suburbanites have to drive all over hell’s creation to do or get anything. What the hell are they gonna do in the area of Litchfield Rd deep in the West Valley? There’s nothing out there. These folks don’t have transportation.

They’re in the downtown area mostly because that’s where the homeless hang out in EVERY city. If you go to Vegas, you’re not gonna see a bunch of vagrants out in Henderson. They aren’t gonna be out in Summerlin. They’re in and around the city limits where there are services.

Still though, no one can live in Maricopa County and claim that the vagrancy isn’t bad. It’s been bad since I can remember, and I moved to Scottsdale as a 2 year old in 1967. This thing has plagued Phoenix and the inner ring suburbs for decades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
So the question in your opinion why are there so many homeless in Arizona? The OP seems to want to make the case that it is a republican state and that is why. But that is just as lame as blaming the democrats for the California homeless problem.

I know both states very well. I have spend most of my life in one or the other.

It is not a partisan issue. A big percentage of homeless have either drug or mental health issues. Lots of them want to live on the streets.

The issue is how to deal with people who have a drug or mental health issue. Neither lefty California or righty Arizona have a solution at this point. But its fun to point fingers.

Its always "their" fault.
Because Arizona is warm and generally dry. Simple as that.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Last I checked, Glendale which is a suburb of Phoenix, is run by Democrat rules.
Nonsense.

Glendale’s mayor is a registered non partisan.

And their Congresswoman is a Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies