Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2018, 11:27 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,827,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
That is NOT the solution. Unless we are talking about a total gun ban and confiscation and closing our borders completely, then it’s not going to work.
You're saying there's no way to reduce the chances of kids getting their hands on guns? Nonsense. For starters, raise the age to buy all guns to 21. Maybe the age for semi-auto guns should be even higher. Will it stop all kids from getting their hands on guns? No, but it will help. The Florida shooter was 19 and legally owned his guns. The cops evidently knew the kid well, but had no legal ground to confiscate his weapons. That is a problem.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:31 PM

18,733 posts, read 7,606,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
More guns is not the answer. How is it a free society if everywhere we go we see armed people. It’s a paranoid society. And paranoid people can also be unstable
Hmm.

A liberal rejects out of hand the only plan that has ever actually worked to reduce violence and shootings on schools, calls everybody names, and then blames gun rights advocates for not coming up with a plan she likes that will work.

Is it any wonder that we get nowhere? Unless we ignore liberals, of course?

Old 05-20-2018, 11:41 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Hmm.

A liberal rejects out of hand the only plan that has ever actually worked to reduce violence and shootings on schools, calls everybody names, and then blames gun rights advocates for not coming up with a plan she likes that will work.

Is it any wonder that we get nowhere? Unless we ignore liberals, of course?
Not a liberal for one. And I haven’t called anyone names nor have I blamed gun right advocates for not coming up with a plan.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:44 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
You're saying there's no way to reduce the chances of kids getting their hands on guns? Nonsense. For starters, raise the age to buy all guns to 21. Maybe the age for semi-auto guns should be even higher. Will it stop all kids from getting their hands on guns? No, but it will help. The Florida shooter was 19 and legally owned his guns. The cops evidently knew the kid well, but had no legal ground to confiscate his weapons. That is a problem.
You’re making my point. The cops could have charged Cruz with something and he wouldn’t have passed his background check. Adam Lanza’s mom should have never had guns in her house, but she did and would have still been able to have them under your solution. And no one could charge her with a crime because she was killed. The military could have reported the family violence charges to the FBI for that guy in Sulpher Springs who shot up the church, but they forgot. There are all sorts of things that should have happened but didn’t.

That’s why I think we must advocate for metal detectors at schools. And gun violence restraining orders so family members could petition the court to remove guns from people they think are dangerous but don’t have a criminal record.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:46 PM

As several people have pointed out, some of the recent schools that have had shootings, had armed guards, who apparently didn't do much to stop those shootings.

OTOH there have been schools, churches etc. that also had armed guards, who DID stop shootings there.

BTW, how many such places had armed guards that a potential shooter noticed, and so he decided not to go there to do his murders? We'll never know all of them. Does anyone think the number is ZERO?

Off the top of my head, here is one example where armed guards thwarted a mass shooter. In August 1999, mass shooter Buford Furrow got a gun and drove to several Jewish centers in Los Angeles. But when he found armed guards at the first three, he turned around and left. Not until he found the North Valley Jewish Community Center and saw that it had no guards, did he walk inside and start shooting. Later he went to a Post Office which also had no guards, and shot an employee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_An...enter_shooting

How many similar madmen planned attacks, but kept finding armed guards until they gave up their plans and wound up doing nothing? Not too many people who do that, talk about it later. But does that mean that there aren't any?

Armed guards don't have 100% records. But sometimes they do stop, or even prevent, school shootings. Can that be said about any other "gun control" scheme the gun controllers have been pushing?

Old 05-20-2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Not a liberal for one.
Mm Hmm.

(snicker)

Last edited by Roboteer; 05-21-2018 at 12:03 AM..

Old 05-21-2018, 05:10 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
But ...those "Gun Restrictions" never get passed! So we are left with more guns and ammo and ultimately, ... more mass shootings. Just how many guns did Obama confiscate? I want numbers!

"But ...those "Gun Restrictions" never get passed!"

I think the number of gun laws on the books is now OVER 2,000 so I guess your "never get passed" is flat out WRONG.

"Just how many guns did Obama confiscate?"

What does that have to do with ANYTHING?

I did NOT mention him so, wt bring him up.

But, being you DID, Obama TRIED to pass another so-called "assault weapons" ban which many dems would not support because after Clinton's they LOST a LOT of seats and even control of the House in congress.

"Democrats are well aware that they lost control of the House of Representatives in 1994, the year President Bill Clinton signed the original legislation, and have shied away from the issue of gun control, while Republican leaders have opposed the ban."

https://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/09/p...s-on-hill.html

So the truthful answer is none BUT NOT FOR A LACK OR TRYING.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:11 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Has anyone here been in a high school during the day?

Old 05-21-2018, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Not where I live. I haven't seen an armed security person anywhere but on an armored car picking up money. As for your comment about the media needing dead children to sell news---well, it's just ridiculous. They did all day coverage of the royal wedding yesterday and all I heard from the Right was bi*ching about that.

Our schools are---for the most part---public and that's what I was posting about as per the topic of this thread. But since you brought it up, a privately owned mall most likely can posted armed guards but it would probably make shoppers less likely to shop there, when they are reminded they'd be safer at home ordering off Amazon.

"probably"

Sorry, I DON'T deal in "probably", maybe, if, could, should etc.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Without; an estimate of number of school entrances in the US, the qualifications and pay for these 'armed guards, total cost, and how it will be paid for, this is just another half-baked right wing idea.

Not surprised a dem will spend MILLIONS on useless wasteful stuff but is NOT willing spend to protect our kids.

What ever happened to, "if it saves just 1 child, it IS worth it" we so many time from dems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies