Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2018, 02:18 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
And kids not having access to guns would have a pretty significant inhibiting effect, as it's pretty hard to shoot someone with gun if you DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO GUNS.
How would we accomplish that? We can’t or ex-convicts would never have guns to commit crimes again.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:46 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
We protect our military bases, airports, banks, and George Soros' house by people with guns and you hardly see a mass shooting at those venues.

But concerts, schools, movie theaters, churches have little to no security which makes it an easy target for mass shooters.

Maybe it's time we need more armed guards or more open carry permits.

For further reading

This is Americas idea of Making America Great Again.

Guns and armed guards in every possible corner and location of the country.

This is what freedom looks like folks.

America is doomed. Welcome to America.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:00 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
My high school had more than 50 entrances for roughly 4000 students. Two separate academic buildings separated by an open parking lot, an unattached theater filled with theater, music, and art classrooms, and unattached gym with health classrooms, a professional skills building with the various shops, and then between 20-30 trailers housing one classroom each. There wasn't a single day where I didn't walk outside several times a day between classes or going to lunch or the bathroom from one of my classrooms in the trailers.

That's what happens when districts vote down school funding every year. My school was in a high-income area, but explosive growth meant that it cobbled together what used to be a middle school and high school (hence the two separate buildings), built piecemeal addtions, and had tons of "temporary" classrooms. I graduated almost 15 years ago and some of those trailers are still there despite a new high school being built.

Most of the high schools in my district were the same: sprawling one story buildings with multiple out-buildings that required students to walk outside several times a day. Anyone could show up off the street during class changes and take out hundreds of kids hustling to class. I remember never having time to stop at a locker or even the restroom in between classes because it would take the whole 7 minutes to get from one side of the school to the other.

What can be done about those schools? Build a wall around campus? A fence around the trailers and out-buildings? Raize them all?

Old 05-21-2018, 03:01 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The only way you can deny me a firearm, is by incarceration or death.
Are you any different.
The argument is that there is no way the Constitution allows for the government to remove your right to own arms. You are saying they can. That's as simple as my argument needs to be.....

Quote:
Why shouldn't you be armed at all times in your travels? Are you too dangerous to be armed?
I simply have no desire to be. If you do, great, none of my business.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:05 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
As a libertarian, I’m against all forms of government regulation or intervention. But we have to get guns off the streets. There’s too many. Start a gun buyback program like Australia did.
You aren't actually a Libertarian. Libertarian's are not against all forms of government or they would not be a political party. (I'm not pursuing this argument any further here).

Old 05-21-2018, 03:08 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
I am changing my mind on having armed guards in school.
My reason is that we have to be realistic about guns and the society we live in.
As a professor told our class in 1978, we will not Americanize Latin America, they will Latinize us.
We live in the Angloized version of Brazil.
Our violence is at third world levels.
Might as well face the truth rather than live in denial any longer.
Tell your kids to arm themselves because that this their future.
Fear is the new American way.

Old 05-21-2018, 04:57 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
My high school had more than 50 entrances for roughly 4000 students. ...

What can be done about those schools? Build a wall around campus? A fence around the trailers and out-buildings? Raize them all?

In that case, the security checkpoints would need to be at the entrances to campus. It would be expensive as you'd probably have to construct a waiting area, security structure, and long walkway from there to actual buildings. It would depend on the specific layout.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:03 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Armed guards is a start. But we also need metal detectors, and barb-wire fences around the school to keep the shooters out of the playing fields. Get rid of windows too, because a sniper can easily shoot through them from the street. Probably walls surrounding the school yards would be best.
Basically, something like this.
That's actually what I worry about. The schools already have too much power and are taking more and more away from parents. They now have healthcare facilities there (which parents may not know what goes on there), mental health assessments ran on kids without the permission of the parents, and are being used for "workforce development". They are pushing for preschool and kindergarten for everyone and are trying to get the kids earlier and earlier.

Them turning schools into concentration camps is a danger. What confuses me though is why the NEA and their ilk would be against it if that was the plan.

Also, all of this security would be a great excuse to keep parents out of the classrooms. "No, you can't see what's going in the history class, you might be a shooter." "Sorry, you can't see what goes on in the sex ed class, you might be a shooter. No parents allowed."

Old 05-21-2018, 05:19 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Without; an estimate of number of school entrances in the US, the qualifications and pay for these 'armed guards, total cost, and how it will be paid for, this is just another half-baked right wing idea.
There's nothing "right-wing" about it. It seems more like something from the Left.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:21 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
It's not a left or right thing. It's a parent thing. Human beings are hard-wired to protect their young, and the one thing that unites both sides of this argument is the overwhelming desire to prevent our children from suffering harm. School shootings terrify us because we are separated from our children for a significant part of the day while they are in class. We trust that environment to be safe, and when it's not, it rouses our most primitive selves. Parents are capable of extraordinary acts when their children are threatened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies