Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 11:14 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,493,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Hannity is an idiot. Parents should be "monitoring" their kids.
Background checks for potential parents.
I have no issues with that what so ever.

Want others to be responsible with firearms?
Others with firearms want you to be responsible with kids.

Ban assaultteens.
Nobody needs a high capacity deranged murderous teenager.
With their 30 day magazine clip of psychotropic meds.
Ghost social media accounts.
Their video games of war.
Their shoulder things that go up.
Their menacing looks.
I'm missing some other talking points aren't I...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 12:03 PM

6,258 posts, read 5,066,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Thanks for weighing in, Grandpa.

We now return you to the 21st Century already in progress....
Thanks for being smug and condescending.

My sons came of age just as social media was coming of age, so it wasn't a huge issue.

My sons knew to have zero expectations of privacy. When I wanted to know something or find something I tossed their rooms - sometimes when they were home and sometimes not. My youngest son started badly screwing up when he was about 13 or 14 years old (enough so that I knew that if I didn't do something drastic quickly, soon decisions about his future would be taken out of my hands and handed over to the criminal justice system).

I pulled him out of school and put him under house arrest for the entire school year. I home schooled him - even though I was working part time and consulting part time (and once dragged him along to the state police academy where I was conducting a week long training). He could not make phone calls or receive phone calls. He couldn't go to anyone's house and no-one could come visit him at our house. The only place he could go without me was a church youth group on Wednesday nights (and I did spot checks on him there - and he knew it). I controlled what was on his bedroom wall, what TV he watched, what music he listened to.

I quickly learned that he was falling through the academic cracks - no idea how to study, no idea how to write a paper, no idea how to write a test, and with a very short attention span. He did, and redid, and redid again his school work until he got it right. He was over 6 feet tall even at that age and I was prepared to do battle with him every single day if I had to. I thought he would fight me every step of the way.........but he didn't. When I pulled him out of school (and away from the influences that were leading him into hell) I had no idea what I was going to do next. All I knew was that I needed to pull him close to me until he was strong enough to venture out into the world alone again. By the start of the next school year he was good-to-go and I enrolled him back into public school.

In truth I don't understand how kids can get to such bad places in their lives that they commit suicide because of extreme cyber-bullying. I didn't have that issue when the boys were growing up but I know what I would do - I would pull the plug. Completely. Unless I was sitting RIGHT FREAKIN THERE with them. Zero expectation for privacy in my home, under my roof, and while they are under-age. I would do anything - anything - to keep them safe. And if that means invading their privacy, then I will invade the hell out of it. Raising my children wasn't a democracy. My job was to do whatever it took to ensure that they reached adulthood safely, and to ensure that they had the respect, the self-respect and the internal fortitude to become productive, empathic, caring members of their society.

Invade their privacy? All day long.

Last edited by juneaubound; 05-21-2018 at 12:59 PM..

Old 05-21-2018, 01:10 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I don't disagree with you, but the question remains, how do we do that feasibly? Kids hide stuff. They're very good at it. We're always playing catch up with our kids.
Right now there are public website forums praising the latest shooter and former shooters saying they hope for more. Not hidden. Some forums have been shut down but others are up and are scarily active.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:21 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Right now there are public website forums praising the latest shooter and former shooters saying they hope for more. Not hidden. Some forums have been shut down but others are up and are scarily active.
Going back to the OP, Hannity is suggesting that the state needs to monitor students' social media accounts, and that was the basis for my comment. If something is to be done, it needs to come through the social media companies hosting the material, not the state, or heaven forbid, the schools. Our schools have enough on their plate already.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:28 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Going back to the OP, Hannity is suggesting that the state needs to monitor students' social media accounts, and that was the basis for my comment. If something is to be done, it needs to come through the social media companies hosting the material, not the state, or heaven forbid, the schools. Our schools have enough on their plate already.
But here's the thing, the schools will be who's tasked for enforcement.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:33 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Absolutely. Hannity is out of line. But many do not want internet companies to "censor" users or to be held accountable for anything posted by a user.

Maybe we should not be able to broadcast things live from our phones, like teen suicides and gore, then have the videos on a website for anyone to view. Then the videos are spread to other websites where people mock them. This stuff is desensitized to many young people - actual death videos are nobigdeal. This is beyond first amendment.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
But here's the thing, the schools will be who's tasked for enforcement.
Enforcement of what, exactly? Schools don't host social media content. And if threats of violence are made, it's an issue for police, not a principal.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:42 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Enforcement of what, exactly? Schools don't host social media content. And if threats of violence are made, it's an issue for police, not a principal.
Monitoring the social media. Law enforcement isn't going to devote resources to it so the "overpaid and underworked teachers" will have to do it. That's because Principals and VPs will delegate it as "additional duties as assigned".

An entire new bureaucracy will be created so frat brothers, mistresses and drinking buddies can have a job.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Monitoring the social media. Law enforcement isn't going to devote resources to it so the "overpaid and underworked teachers" will have to do it. That's because Principals and VPs will delegate it as "additional duties as assigned".

An entire new bureaucracy will be created so frat brothers, mistresses and drinking buddies can have a job.
I do not support burdening the education system with monitoring students' social media accounts, and I'm not convinced it's even possible.

Edit: To clarify, I know it's technically possible (my spouse works in big data), but I don't think it's feasible. Hannity is talking out of his posterior, as usual.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:49 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Almost all social media platforms can be set to various privacy levels allowing only invited or select groups to view them.

that may be true, but that wont stop the ones that are invited to view those accounts from reposting any comments, or informing the LEOs if there is an issue. and how hard would it be for the schools to set up a bogus account and get invited to these private viewings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Thanks for being smug and condescending.

My sons came of age just as social media was coming of age, so it wasn't a huge issue.

My sons knew to have zero expectations of privacy. When I wanted to know something or find something I tossed their rooms - sometimes when they were home and sometimes not. My youngest son started badly screwing up when he was about 13 or 14 years old (enough so that I knew that if I didn't do something drastic quickly, soon decisions about his future would be taken out of my hands and handed over to the criminal justice system).

I pulled him out of school and put him under house arrest for the entire school year. I home schooled him - even though I was working part time and consulting part time (and once dragged him along to the state police academy where I was conducting a week long training). He could not make phone calls or receive phone calls. He couldn't go to anyone's house and no-one could come visit him at our house. The only place he could go without me was a church youth group on Wednesday nights (and I did spot checks on him there - and he knew it). I controlled what was on his bedroom wall, what TV he watched, what music he listened to.

I quickly learned that he was falling through the academic cracks - no idea how to study, no idea how to write a paper, no idea how to write a test, and with a very short attention span. He did, and redid, and redid again his school work until he got it right. He was over 6 feet tall even at that age and I was prepared to do battle with him every single day if I had to. I thought he would fight me every step of the way.........but he didn't. When I pulled him out of school (and away from the influences that were leading him into hell) I had no idea what I was going to do next. All I knew was that I needed to pull him close to me until he was strong enough to venture out into the world alone again. By the start of the next school year he was good-to-go and I enrolled him back into public school.

In truth I don't understand how kids can get to such bad places in their lives that they commit suicide because of extreme cyber-bullying. I didn't have that issue when the boys were growing up but I know what I would do - I would pull the plug. Completely. Unless I was sitting RIGHT FREAKIN THERE with them. Zero expectation for privacy in my home, under my roof, and while they are under-age. I would do anything - anything - to keep them safe. And if that means invading their privacy, then I will invade the hell out of it. Raising my children wasn't a democracy. My job was to do whatever it took to ensure that they reached adulthood safely, and to ensure that they had the respect, the self-respect and the internal fortitude to become productive, empathic, caring members of their society.

Invade their privacy? All day long.

now THAT is parenting. kudos to you june,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies