Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 08:10 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,641,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The revised Starbucks policy suggests a code of conduct for store visitors, who should use the spaces as intended, be considerate of others and act responsibly.

It also directs employees to a procedure for dealing with customers that behave in a "disruptive manner," including guidance on how to approach disruptive customers. Employees who witness a situation that "presents an immediate danger or threat to partner or customer safety" are still instructed to call 911.
Doesn't solve anything really, as this still leaves an opening for store managers to act of their own accord regardless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 08:11 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Wow, what a really stupid decision just to be politically correct. Wait till the homeless and drug addicts, and there are a lot of them in many cities, make it their prime location to get out of the heat, get out of the cold, use the bathrooms to shoot drugs into their arms leaving needles on the ground.
Who's going to want to stop at Starbucks for coffee when you're standing 10 ft away from someone who hasn't showered in a few weeks? I suppose you can hold your nose and look the other way and pretend they aren't there while they're waiting for a handout from you.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:11 PM

172 posts, read 107,880 times
Why would anybody go into Starbucks to hang out, none the less buy something?

Old 05-21-2018, 08:16 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Homeless people have never been the issue with the Starbucks around me. The loitering issue revolves around those who camp out with their laptops all day for the free wifi. But even then, it's hard to resist the intoxicating scent of coffee for long. Eventually, Starbucks will get their money out of everybody who comes through the door.
Homeless are a huge issue around here. They'll use any space possible to do whatever they want to. The local big box store had to get rid of all of their shed displays out front because the homeless were in there having sex and doing drugs. It became not only a nuisance, but a safety issue with used needles left on the ground, urine left in bottles and worse things i won't even talk about.
The local Walmart right by two Starbucks had to change their business hours because the store was plagued with homeless people trying to sleep there at night.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:18 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Homeless are a huge issue around here. They'll use any space possible to do whatever they want to. The local big box store had to get rid of all of their shed displays out front because the homeless were in there having sex and doing drugs. It became not only a nuisance, but a safety issue with used needles left on the ground, urine left in bottles and worse things i won't even talk about.
Oh dear, I will never look at Home Depot the same way again.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:26 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Homeless people have never been the issue with the Starbucks around me.

That's because they know they will be asked to leave and arrested if they don't. Once that threat is gone all bets are off.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:35 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's because they know they will be asked to leave and arrested if they don't. Once that threat is gone all bets are off.
There are a couple of homeless men who hang out at my neighborhood Starbucks. One is a veteran, and I sometimes buy him a gift card, so he can get something to eat, although I've been told that the staff takes care of him regardless. To my knowledge, neither has ever been asked to leave.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:54 PM

10,030 posts, read 9,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Go ahead, try it. Guaranteed that several members of your party will buy things while they hang out. You'd probably be the only hold out.
Stop by McDonald's and pick up some coffee first.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:20 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
There are a couple of homeless men who hang out at my neighborhood Starbucks. One is a veteran, and I sometimes buy him a gift card, so he can get something to eat, although I've been told that the staff takes care of him regardless. To my knowledge, neither has ever been asked to leave.

I have sympathy for the homeless but business is business and you can't have a blanket policy of letting anyone hang around. If that is the policy it's going to cause them problems in lot of areas especially cold winter climate with a large population of homeless.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:23 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Um, congrats?
Why thank you. We all know the starbucks bathroom is always the cleanest around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies