Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2018, 03:47 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
They are "winning" only in the sense of protecting their bottom line - for now. The long-term consequences have yet to be written. History is littered with the corpses of once great companies that "did whatever it took" to protect their bottom line. The NFL is not immune to that, even if the Trumpers and others who confuse jingoism with actual freedom are hailing this as some "great victory."
Well, the NFL has made their decision--they'd rather have my dollar than yours.

They made the announcement when they told players that they 'must stand' or pay up.

You can turn off the TV and go knit socks on your couch, and i'll continue wearing my Eagles jersey, having a cold beer and tuning in every Sunday and Monday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 03:51 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
I predict that we haven't heard the end of this issue.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:52 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post

They made the announcement when they told players that they 'must stand' or pay up.

You can turn off the TV and go knit socks on your couch, and i'll continue wearing my Eagles jersey, having a cold beer and tuning in every Sunday and Monday.
I find your pettiness hilarious - you assume I have no life because I don't devote myself to football. Who's the one sitting on the couch watching 15 minutes of action over 3-hours? Lol!

I'm not sure what you're even trying to prove here anymore. I'm not going to support a company that sells out to the level of the NFL while at the same time pretending to be "patriotic." You're proud to support them; that does not mean you're a "winner" because that is not something in which one should be proud.

I recall something about not mud-wrestling with pigs at this point... Anyway, have a nice life!

Old 05-25-2018, 05:05 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,298,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post

So since your an Eagles fan, will you be ok if as a team they stay in the locker-room instead of coming onto the field for the anthem?

Old 05-25-2018, 05:53 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,128 times
Let's remember, this is not the first time a regime has been upset about athletes protesting.

https://twitter.com/ciccmaher/status...06390323253249

Old 05-25-2018, 06:08 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
The falsehood is that it's a racial issue. Cops are more likely to shoot whites than blacks.
There are also more White people in the USA than Black people. Whites outnumber Blacks 5 to 1. A better assessment of the situation is who gets shot the most per capita and why. I notice that per capita numbers are not used when Blacks get shot by the police. However, it is used as a measure for Blacks committing crimes.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:16 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The NFL owners are aligning themselves with Trump's nonsense. Given that only about 40% of Americans are buying what he's selling, seems like a poor play.

But whatever. It's their money.

Most of the people we know are getting rid of cable and switching to antennas and streaming services. The only reason we stay with cable is the man of the house likes his sports channels.

But he's been disappointed in NFL football the last season or so. Nothing to do with the kneeling, just not that many exciting games. He watched college games most of last season.

I think he's still cheers for Cam Newton and the Panthers though, so we'll probably be keeping our cable package for another season.
Well, I can see why you would put it that way. While some of the owners might agree with Trump, I see something more: $$$$$.

I live with my parents. They have cable. My father watches NFL on TV. I watched some Seahawks games on TV. For me, TV is a rarity. When/if I move out, the likelihood of me getting cable is low. Too much money to spend, especially if I'm not at home the majority of the day. When I had a job, I would go to a sports bar to watch a game.

Lousy football games will send some people away. I was never attracted to NCAA football games much, with one exception. My alma mater never had football until a few years ago. I started going as a way to support the team of my alma mater. Outside of that, Seahawks for me.

As for the owners, many of the owners are more concerned about their bottom line. The owners of the Cowboys and Texans might be in line with Trump. And this is Texas, the center of football country, and a very conservative state. The Dallas Cowboys play in Arlington,Texas, located in Tarrant County, the same county where Fort Worth is located, one of the more conservative areas in the DFW area. The owner has every reason to take a hard stance with the kneeling.

As for the other owners, and the NFL as a whole, this is what it's all about. They are afraid of losing money. I mentioned this before. However, I will give you a more condensed version of it. A large part of the NFL fan base is conservative. This is where a big part of the money is coming from. It's about the money and where it comes from. Same goes with the sponsors. If the sponsors don't like what the NFL is doing, they will pull their sponsorship.

At the end of day, the NFL is beholden to money and the people who pay them.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:26 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
So since your an Eagles fan, will you be ok if as a team they stay in the locker-room instead of coming onto the field for the anthem?
Yup. Those are the rules. If they choose to stay in there, that''s fine.

I personally just want politics out of it. No on the field demonstrations.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:34 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Let's remember, this is not the first time a regime has been upset about athletes protesting.

https://twitter.com/ciccmaher/status...06390323253249
There you have it, folks.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:35 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
And now something a bit more lighthearted.

https://twitter.com/TheDweck/status/1000019270775050240
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies