Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 12:40 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,456,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Smaller banks already know they will never get a bailout so they aren't going to start taking on high risk loans. It will allow them to shrink their compliance budgets and compete more effectively with the larger banks. Increased competition in lending is good for the consumer.

yeah, no small banks failed during 08 crisis...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...2%80%93present)

and if you think it's the compliance budget as to why mom and pop thrift can't compete with JPM, well I have a bridge to sell you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 12:54 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
they all overstate assets- mark to model.....

fraud tends to prosper when regulations are either removed or are lax to begin with.

Both acts referenced expanded scope of offerings for the thrifts and reduced regulatory oversight....which led to the S&L facing similar problems to those in 08- lending vs borrowing mismatch, liquidity crunch, holding assets they didn't fully understand, etc...
The S and Ls understood exactly what they were holding. Garbage. lol I'm not following, how could they not understand the assets they held? They understood and lied imo. It's like a ponzy scheme.

The S and Ls went under not because of any regulations, they went under because they overstated assets.
I'm not understand how the removal of regulations or newer regulations that passed in 1980 and 1982 caused the S and L to go under when in fact by 1980 85% of all savings and loans were losing money. That they were over valued by 150 BILLION.

How does a new regulation that passed on March 31st 1980 cause that? I have no idea when it was implimented but if it was implimented the next day, how does the S and L industry go under that fast if what you're saying is true? It doesn't. How does something that passed in 1982 cause 85 percent of the S and Ls to loose money in 1980?

In other words, if you go into a cemetary, dig up a dead body and stab it 20 times you can't be charged for murder.

"Niskanen (1992, p. 45) cites a Federal Home Loan Bank Board (FHLBB) report released in July 1981 that determined the industry’s net worth to be “overstated by $152.3 billion, on a market-value versus book-value basis, at the end of 1980.” According to Niskanen, since the book value of the industry was only $32 billion at the end of 1980, this implies that the industry’s market value was –$120.3 billion. The National Commission on Financial Institution Reform, Recovery, and Enforcement (NCFIRRE) issued a report in 1993 that estimated that from 1981 to 1982, the S&L industry’s market value was around –$150 billion (Origins, 1993, p. 1)."

Old 05-23-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The S and Ls understood exactly what they were holding. Garbage. lol I'm not following, how could they not understand the assets they held? They understood and lied imo.

The S and Ls went under not because of any regulations, they went under because they overstated assets.
I'm not understand how the removal of regulations or newer regulations that passed in 1980 and 1982 caused the S and L to go under when in fact by 1980 85% of all savings and loans were losing money. That they were over valued by 150 BILLION.

How does a new regulation that passed on April 30th 1980 cause that? I have no idea when it was implimented but if it was implimented the next day, how does the S and L industry go under that fast if what you're saying is true? It doesn't. How does something that passed in 1982 cause 85 percent of the S and Ls to loose money in 1980?

In other words, if you go into a cemetary, dig up a dead body and stab it 20 times you can't be charged for murder.

how did buying junk bonds that evaporated in days that left them with worthless assets not hurt them? They thrifts didn't understand the junk bunds issues to fund the buyouts and takeovers of the 80's....go ask DBL and Milken about how they preyed on the S&L's. And if you don't think laws passed allowing them to invest n new riskier assets which ultimately buried them is relevant, well I dunno then.

When you lend long term at X and finance by borrowing short term at X-Y but suddenly your cost is now X+Y, you're in trouble. One way to try to fix that is to buy riskier investments with higher coupons that maybe you don't really understand...aka the S&L crisis of the 80's.

See any parallels between that the 08 crisis??? Just maybe???????

Old 05-23-2018, 01:09 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
how did buying junk bonds that evaporated in days that left them with worthless assets not hurt them? They thrifts didn't understand the junk bunds issues to fund the buyouts and takeovers of the 80's....go ask DBL and Milken about how they preyed on the S&L's. And if you don't think laws passed allowing them to invest n new riskier assets which ultimately buried them is relevant, well I dunno then.

When you lend long term at X and finance by borrowing short term at X-Y but suddenly your cost is now X+Y, you're in trouble. One way to try to fix that is to buy riskier investments with higher coupons that maybe you don't really understand...aka the S&L crisis of the 80's.

See any parallels between that the 08 crisis??? Just maybe???????
I think they understood but took a bad gamble, Tried to delay a crash in hopes to get out. I agree with alot of what you've said, in that one shouldn't take absurd risks. but what does that have to do with regulation/deregulation? You're incorrectly identifying the cause of the problem. Blame vs cause.

You said "laws passed allowing them to invest n new riskier assets"

You ignored what I posted about regulations even though you quoted it.

How does a new regulation that passed on April 30th 1980 cause that? I have no idea when it was implimented but if it was implimented the next day, how does the S and L industry go under that fast if what you're saying is true? It doesn't. How does something that passed in 1982 cause 85 percent of the S and Ls to loose money in 1980?

How in the world does a regulation/deregulation, that happens after the fact, cause a collapse in the S and L industry?

Old 05-23-2018, 01:27 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Trump rolling back Dodd Frank!

Big mistake.

Old 05-23-2018, 02:45 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Trump rolling back Dodd Frank!

Big mistake.
dodd frank was a big mistake as it didn't address all the issues

Old 05-23-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I think they understood but took a bad gamble, Tried to delay a crash in hopes to get out. I agree with alot of what you've said, in that one shouldn't take absurd risks. but what does that have to do with regulation/deregulation? You're incorrectly identifying the cause of the problem. Blame vs cause.

You said "laws passed allowing them to invest n new riskier assets"

You ignored what I posted about regulations even though you quoted it.

How in the world does a regulation/deregulation, that happens after the fact, cause a collapse in the S and L industry?
Rtc was 89 to 96 I believe

Old 05-23-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
dodd frank was a big mistake as it didn't address all the issues
How was it a mistake? Specifically

What issues didn’t address specifically?

So you’re answer is it wasn’t perfect so get rid of it all together and replace it with nothing?

Old 05-23-2018, 03:55 PM

78,329 posts, read 60,527,398 times
They had a banking expert on NPR this afternoon basically say that the impact of these changes would be fairly minor.

The NPR host basically then says, "Well a lot of progressives are really upset about it."

That tells me everything I need to know right there.

Minor impact, people going to make political hay out of it just like anytime Obama did anything the far right made it out to be the end of days.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:26 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
How was it a mistake? Specifically

What issues didn’t address specifically?

So you’re answer is it wasn’t perfect so get rid of it all together and replace it with nothing?
DF did not address the stock market
DF did not address fannie/Freddie which were the biggest culprits

DF didn't address anything that led to the problems...its a waste of a bill

and it didn't have anything to do with GS either
they became 'too big to fail' before the repealing of G-S

1987 chemical bank merged in to jp morgan
1987 first fidelity into wells fargo
1988 fleet into norstar into bank of america
1990 bank of new england into BOA
1992 manufacturers Hanover and trust into jp Morgan
1996 chase manhattin into jp morgan
1996 Meridian Bancorp into wells fargo
1997 signet into first union into wells fargo
1998 travelers into citi
1988 Barclays into wells fargo

yes many happened after gs.. but the 'too big to fail' happened before Gs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies