Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do you do your own research on facts or let public opinion decide how you feel about politics
my own research 25 100.00%
public opinion 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 08:58 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,287 times

Advertisements

I want to see how people come to the conclusions the way they do.
Do you let other people, public opinion or your own research on facts form the way you feel about politics?
Explain your answer and with examples if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 09:22 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
For me it comes down to values and a strong sense of right and wrong.
If I had gone with the crowd of public opinion I wouldn't have voted for Trump.

I get my news from NPR and Right Wing radio. It is a good balance but more and more it seems that the Left is really moving to the extremes.

Locally, I live in Mass which is a Democrat haven, I see liberal judges and politicians going to bat for illegal aliens and molly coddling career criminals and drug dealers. They are putting the good people at risk while demanding they pay more in taxes to fund their assistance programs while doing little to clean up welfare fraud.

I have always leaned to the Right and will continue to vote accordingly at least until the Dems can get their act together.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:30 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
I read about 95% of the news I take in. I am able to surf through the various opinions and BS and find what actually happened. Reading news is much more objective to me than commentators who usually are biased one way or the other. I know writers are biased as well, but when you are reading words (instead of watching people read me the news), it's easier for me to spot and the skip over that material since my mind is more engaged.

I will listen to others, but eventually decide how to take things based on faith (in Christ), facts (real events not news gossip), and feelings (instincts)... in that order.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:33 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
For me its both. Public opinion to me is a harbinger of what is probably the wrong answer, or uninformed positions, so I seek alternative points of view in my own research.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:03 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times
It's both but admittedly it's probably more from public opinion.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:09 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
I'm completely at a loss to understand how any thinking adult could form their political views on the basis of what other people think about the issues. I guess it explains a lot about how people like Trump get elected.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:16 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,116,288 times
ALWAYS do your own research.

Don't watch ABCBSMSNBCNNFOX.

Don't rely on U.S. newspapers.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:22 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
People always SAY they do their own research. But in reality, most people follow the "tribe" they have committed to. They take in news only from sources that agree with their predetermined point of view, so are constantly reinforced that they are right. We all want to feel justified, so we listen to those who justify us. How many people actually do original research with eye witness/first responder/first reporter reports? The best we can do is to find unbiased reporting, but that is often hard to come by.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:28 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
I'm completely at a loss to understand how any thinking adult could form their political views on the basis of what other people think about the issues. I guess it explains a lot about how people like Trump get elected.
I present you the entire political left.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:45 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,116,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
People always SAY they do their own research. But in reality, most people follow the "tribe" they have committed to. They take in news only from sources that agree with their predetermined point of view, so are constantly reinforced that they are right. We all want to feel justified, so we listen to those who justify us. How many people actually do original research with eye witness/first responder/first reporter reports? The best we can do is to find unbiased reporting, but that is often hard to come by.
That's what makes us libertarians different; we actually DO our own research. It takes critical thinking to do that, and that's why we're in the minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies