Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 09:36 PM

25,838 posts, read 16,513,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
So among the psycho-lunatic left, if you are engaged in awkward flirting, you must be destroyed.

You people are truly awful human beings. You really are.
Their new thing is now they want you to ask permission of a baby to change their diaper.

True story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 10:11 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,752,831 times
Quote:
Exclusive: Eight women accuse Oscar-winner Morgan Freeman of inappropriate behavior
Inappropriate behavior.

What human being, male or female, has lived past age 70 and never behaved inappropriately?

Old 05-24-2018, 10:25 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,835,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Inappropriate behavior.

What human being, male or female, has lived past age 70 and never behaved inappropriately?

True. Great way to chime in considering not enough is known about the circumstances to figure out how the accusers are to blame here.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:58 AM

19,796 posts, read 9,331,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I did hear you, and have no problem believing that perspective.

However, if what you say is true, and it was culturally acceptable for those distant times, then why try to hold people accountable today?

Though different, it reminds me of a skit in a movie where the woman thinks she has little to no case, but her lawyer convinces her that she is the victim.
By the end, this woman is demanding her rights, and even goes beyond what the lawyer suggested regarding custody of the kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uciVCnUYeuc
First, I think that movie clip is hilarious -- one of Carrey's best roles!

Second, as far as why try to hold people accountable today for what happened many years ago, I think it boils down to exactly what was done and under what circumstances.

For example, if we are talking about someone speaking out now and trying to punish someone for some company party groping 20 years ago that might have occurred "under the influence" and MIGHT have had some implied consent to it, that is one thing. However, if we are talking about unwanted and violent breast or crotch grabbing in which the victim definitely made clear that s/he did not want -- or any kind of sexual coercion -- that is quite another! JMHO, of course.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:58 PM

12,953 posts, read 13,663,665 times
The three men who have been outed so far are men who can make or break a young actress's career. Its makes me wonder what young men breaking into the business have to do, perhaps look the other way when they see women abused.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:02 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Inappropriate behavior.

The Academy of Arts and Sciences is currently rethinking his lifetime achievement award....must be something to the accusations.

Having a sexual relationship with your step granddaughter you helped raise is a bit more than inappropriate.

DE doesn't get the entire metoo movement as shown by ignorance of the subject.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:04 PM

16,536 posts, read 8,579,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
First, I think that movie clip is hilarious -- one of Carrey's best roles!

Second, as far as why try to hold people accountable today for what happened many years ago, I think it boils down to exactly what was done and under what circumstances.

For example, if we are talking about someone speaking out now and trying to punish someone for some company party groping 20 years ago that might have occurred "under the influence" and MIGHT have had some implied consent to it, that is one thing. However, if we are talking about unwanted and violent breast or crotch grabbing in which the victim definitely made clear that s/he did not want -- or any kind of sexual coercion -- that is quite another! JMHO, of course.
Indeed that entire movie was hilarious. Carrey is best when he does physical comedy and acts the fool.

As to your other point, I still think we are talking about different things. Physically forcing sex on a co-worker or subordinate is/was criminal, and as long as the statutes of limitations has not expired, bring any rapist to trial.
However, if we start getting into what might have been considered sexual foreplay or advances back in the day compared with now, the water gets much murkier.

For example, SOME women play hard to get and want to be pursued. Thus the age old saying that "sometimes no means yes".
Today a person might not even believe such as thing ever existed, as they were raised to understand "no means no".
Some women like to be wined and dined over several dates before they even want to be touched. Others might very well respond to touching certain areas on the first date. Thus what is considered groping today, has a different meaning just a few short decades ago.

Frankly, I do not think we are even talking about that with people like Weinstein or big time movie actors. Instead they seem to be accused of using their power/influence/money into coercing some women into having sex with them.
Many of these women (rightly or wrongly) accepted the "casting coach" as a means of breaking into the business, getting a starring role, etc.
Hence the reason most parents didn't want their starry-eyed daughters running off to Hollywood or modeling agencies in NY. They knew those dangers existed, and didn't want their daughters to be seduced by potential fame & fortune.
Yet, should a woman who submitted to sex (not forced rape) to advance their career, now be able to say it was wrong, or even classify what happened as rape?

BTW-I think Weinstein and those like him are slime balls. However many of them used their power/influence to get women to have sex with them, that never would have under normal conditions.
Which reminds me of this scene;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDXKAwzdxn4

`

Old 05-25-2018, 04:05 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,030,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
This reminds me of the whole steroid era in baseball (still not completely extinguished) in how you almost have assume nobody is above suspicion at this point. Pretty sad.
Sad, but not surprising, really.

There's a culture that's still growing in this nation where it's acceptable for power to be abused. Trump's win was part of that - a sleazy man who's never been held accountable for anything. How many of those who voted for him wish they, too, could live like that? Oh, sure - it's human nature, but the whole point of being a free and advanced society is to be able to rise above that... not blindly support strongmen because we wish to be the "alpha" and above the law someday, too.

As for Morgan Freeman, this is unfortunate given his amazing voice and acting, but nobody should be above the rules, regardless of their skillset or lack thereof. May justice be done.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:33 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,948,419 times
There are quite a few comments stating that Morgan had a sexual relationship with his step-granddaughter. When I looked for some sort of proof of this, I found that this rumor originates with the man who murdered his step-granddaughter.

I think we can strike that off the list as nothing beyond a murderer throwing mud at everyone.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:04 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,752,831 times
This People Magazine article epitomizes the incredibly low threshold for #metoo outrage.
Quote:
I was a 25-year-old, green and determined on-camera reporter for a men’s magazine when I first met Freeman at the premiere of Now You See Me in 2013.
A 25-year-old professional journalist, yet she seems to believe she wasn't old enough to handle flirtation from a grown man. Are millennials really so infantilized that they see themselves as children at 25?
Quote:
My videographer and I decided to ask each actor, from Freeman to Mark Ruffalo to Isla Fisher to Michael Caine, “If you could do one magic trick, what would it be?” The answers ranged from disappearing to saving the environment, but Freeman’s was the real outlier.
Freeman, after asking and receiving permission to make an off color comment, told her his magic trick would make her clothes disappear.
Quote:
Almost exactly five years later, I’ll never forget my mint green dress that felt like it was being taken off with Freeman’s eyes. At the same time, I’ll also never forget feeling slightly flattered—a very, very famous actor told me I’m attractive. Not in those words. But, he did. That’s kind of cool…right?
So it was fine at the time but now...
Quote:
...back to my original question, do I mess with the man who has played God multiple times?
Thanks to the courage I’ve acquired from the women who came before me, I have decided I will. This is no longer a laughing matter, and it never should have been in the first place.
God, you messed with the wrong girls.
If this is #metoo, how can it have a shred of credibility?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies