Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2018, 07:48 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
That is NOT good common sense. It’s gun culture, not just guns. You pointed out that Iceland has a lot of guns, but only one murder in 11 years. Besides the fact it’s like comparing North Dakota to New York City, they don’t have the same gun culture. It’s how bans in the UK or Australia can work, but not in Mexico or Brazil. We are closer to Mexico or Brazil than we are to Iceland or the UK or Australia.
Gun culture?

LOL

What's your take on 600k+ for heart disease? Fat culture?
Sorry that's right, I forgot that isn't politically correct. Can't fat shame. How dare you suggest someone change their diet and live a more active lifestyle.
Everyone's healthy. Clogged arteries and diabetes is attractive as a size 50 waist and wizard sleeve/bat wing arms.

Ever look at the FBI UCR data for homicides committed with a firearm?
I have.
Chicago is responsible for 95% of the state of Illinois per the FBI UCR data, homicides committed whether with a firearm or not.
LA leads California per the UCR data for homicides.
Dallas and Austin lead Texas for homicides.
New Orleans leads Louisiana for homicides.

Are you sure it's this "gun culture" you speak of? And not criminal enterprise?

Especially when the arguments made are, it's those dang rural red states bitter clinging to guns and bibles that own all of the firearms...
Because if guns are responsible... Upstate NY should be a warzone, the Carolinas on down to Florida and across to Arizona should be having firearm related homicides in the 100s of thousands maybe even millions...

Anyone want to define gun culture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 08:31 AM

1,316 posts, read 747,160 times
Earlier in this thread, my sincerity regarding this matter was called into question. I don't feel a need to defend myself. But I do have something to share that illustrates why this movement matters to so many of us.

Last night, my idiot neighbors decided 2am was a great time to set off some fireworks. My daughter, who is 13, woke, terrified that it was gunfire. This is such a weight on her mind, constantly. When we recently went to a large public park, she was scared that it might be targeted by a shooter. Come on, why does she have to worry about this? And don't tell me it's not about the guns. It's about a lot of things, but that includes freaking guns!

My daughter, and a lot of her peers, see David Hogg and Emily Gonzalez as role models, my friends. This is not going away because you call some young people some names and wish harm to come to them. That is not going to stop this movement.

I will say again, I am a gun owner, and I am willing to give up a lot more if it helps prevent even one school shooting. Just one.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:37 AM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
Earlier in this thread, my sincerity regarding this matter was called into question. I don't feel a need to defend myself. But I do have something to share that illustrates why this movement matters to so many of us.

Last night, my idiot neighbors decided 2am was a great time to set off some fireworks. My daughter, who is 13, woke, terrified that it was gunfire. This is such a weight on her mind, constantly. When we recently went to a large public park, she was scared that it might be targeted by a shooter. Come on, why does she have to worry about this? And don't tell me it's not about the guns. It's about a lot of things, but that includes freaking guns!

My daughter, and a lot of her peers, see David Hogg and Emily Gonzalez as role models, my friends. This is not going away because you call some young people some names and wish harm to come to them. That is not going to stop this movement.

I will say again, I am a gun owner, and I am willing to give up a lot more if it helps prevent even one school shooting. Just one.

In reality, she is much more at risk to be killed by a distracted driver.... time to give up those cell phones. Remember if it prevents just one more death...just one.

I see your point, but law abiding owners giving up their firearms isn't going to solve the problem. Do what makes you feel right though, it is your choice.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:37 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Quote:
My daughter, and a lot of her peers, see David Hogg and Emily Gonzalez as role models.
Then we are failing our children. Children with critical thinking skills will see them as tools, not role models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post

I see your point, but law abiding owners giving up their firearms isn't going to solve the problem. Do what makes you feel right though, it is your choice.
Problem is, what they think is right is forcing you to do what they think is right, not just themselves.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:45 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:

You may want to teach your daughter logic and critical thinking skills.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:59 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:

I work with someone who's kid is afraid of balloons popping to the point she can't attend parties. It's called mental illness.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
This.

This is what happens when you push an emotionally driven agenda tuned up with inflammatory 24/7 reporting.

So much for land of the free and home of the brave

Old 05-30-2018, 09:18 AM

1,316 posts, read 747,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
In reality, she is much more at risk to be killed by a distracted driver.... time to give up those cell phones. Remember if it prevents just one more death...just one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Then we are failing our children. Children with critical thinking skills will see them as tools, not role models.

Problem is, what they think is right is forcing you to do what they think is right, not just themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I work with someone who's kid is afraid of balloons popping to the point she can't attend parties. It's called mental illness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
This.

This is what happens when you push an emotionally driven agenda tuned up with inflammatory 24/7 reporting.

So much for land of the free and home of the brave

You people disgust me. Call into question my parenting, fine. I'm a big girl. I can take it. But my daughter fearing a school/public shooting is because they are happening. Not mental illness.

And I would put my 13 yo's critical thinking skills up against all of you. This is not an emotionally driven agenda, either. It is real. It is happening. And when you marginalize and trivialize those who are most impacted by it because of their efforts to make a change, you are a HUGE part of the problem. Just remember, when you talk about the "land of the free and home of the brave," it's our land and our home, too.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
You people disgust me. Call into question my parenting, fine. I'm a big girl. I can take it. But my daughter fearing a school/public shooting is because they are happening. Not mental illness.

And I would put my 13 yo's critical thinking skills up against all of you. This is not an emotionally driven agenda, either. It is real. It is happening. And when you marginalize and trivialize those who are most impacted by it because of their efforts to make a change, you are a HUGE part of the problem. Just remember, when you talk about the "land of the free and home of the brave," it's our land and our home, too.
Which further reinforces why the media should not report in fine details 24/7 on these events glorifying and romaticizing these scumbags out doing them.
They provoke it reporting the weapons and tactics used.

We make you sick?

No no... these scumbags out doing the killings are who makes you sick.
Not us.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:25 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:

You, or anyone else, has a 1/10th of 1% chance of being shot in a mass shooting. Those are real facts. What people do with those facts are up to them.

Here is another fact, everyone dies. I'm more worried about rattlesnakes, brown widow spiders and getting ran over while riding my bike by a distracted driver because the chances are much higher.

My firearms have shot nobody and never will. I'm disgusted by the fact that I'm getting lumped into the same category as a mass shooter by simply owning one. So in summary those people can take a long walk on a short pier as far as I am concerned.

Deal with your own problems without making yours, ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies