Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2018, 02:54 PM

1,316 posts, read 747,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Some 2nd Amendment rights? How many more do we have to give up before you realize the problem isn't guns?

Depends. What are you willing to give up before you realize part of the problem is guns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

8,498 posts, read 4,552,009 times
It amazing how this one student has all the right-wing nutcases so riled up. Probably would not hear nearly as much about him if not for them.

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
Well, I'm more an "involved on the ground" kind of gal. I read a lot, comment when I feel like it. I just felt that you needed to know this is not a "no one cares" situation. I care. My husband & kids care. My sisters and their husbands care. My parents care. My friends and coworkers care.

I come from a family of hunters and have guns (locked up, ammo stored separately) in my home. I am tired of wondering when this sort of thing is going to hit the schools my kids go to. I am tired of hearing about one more school shooting. I am listening to what people say because I care.

Denying that there can be any change will not help any of you. You want to preserve some of your precious 2nd Amendment rights? Work on an actual solution. This will involve compromise. The harder you resist, the harder we'll have to push. And we will push.
There was another school shooting today, the shooter was 16. What kind of new laws will you "push" for to stop this from happening again? It is already illegal for a 16 year old to have a gun.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:00 PM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
It amazing how this one student has all the right-wing nutcases so riled up. Probably would not hear nearly as much about him if not for them.

Nah...if people would have been killed, this thread would have 10 times the responses by the left wing nut cases, about how bad guns are.....and more laws are needed....it would also be breaking news....every minute on CNN and other left wing nut job media sources.......

Old 05-25-2018, 03:00 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,116,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
And you do, of course, understand that is a philosophy that not all ascribe to, correct? There is no verifiable "natural law," that sets out one's "natural rights." This has been argued for centuries.
Natural law exists, period. It's been that way for millenia.

Quote:
And even if the right to bear arms is a property right, and if I agreed that is a natural right (I don't, FYI), I could still argue that we have ceded some of those rights in a social contract in exchange for certain protections, or perhaps for the preservation of other rights (my life & liberty, for example).
There is no such thing as a "social contract;" that is a made-up concoction like Santa and the Easter Bunny. I, nor anyone else, was ever given a piece of paper to read over and sign if I consented.

Quote:
But that's all background noise. It doesn't matter what YOU or what I think, as individuals. What will matter is what our majority thinks in the days to come. While I used to have a much, much wider view of gun rights, they have narrowed spectacularly over the last several years. There are more of me, more who have considered this subject very, very thoughtfully and are ready to press on it.
The majority has no authority over the individual. My property rights are more important than your feelings.

Quote:
So, you go ahead & cling to that "natural law" thing. It's not a real thing by its very nature. You believe in it. We can cite Locke and consider ancient Greece and look at Freeborn John, but it's all academic. We'll be arguing these principles forever--they are not written in stone and are open to interpretation. I do not agree with your interpretation. So, you see, they are not quite guaranteed and written in stone.
I prefer Bastiat.

Natural law is certainly real, as it is a fungible thing we experience every day.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:04 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,116,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
I disagree. The ONLY issue on which George W. Bush was conservative while in office was gun control, and that's because of the NRA and other gun lobby groups.
Riiiight...

Bush signs bill geared to toughen screening of gun buyers

Old 05-25-2018, 03:07 PM

1,316 posts, read 747,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Good, yet you only speak up when you think it's needed. If someone really cares, they should speak up every time....not when they feel it's needed....

You misunderstand. I speak up. Just not on every thread on a largely anonymous comment board. In my community, with actual people, in the voting booth, etc.--that's where it matters. My comments here amount to not much, nor do yours.

I have had 3 threats in my son's school dealing with guns (this year)....I do not lock my guns up, I do not lock up my ammo, I have 2 guns in the house that are loaded at all times. My son is about to turn 17, guess what, I taught him about guns at an early age, just like I was. I also let him play (OMG) violent video games......,yet I sat down and let him know there is a difference, there is no reset button in life.

My 17 yo plays violent video games, sees the movies--but he also doesn't behave like guns are an extension of his masculinity. Some of his close friends don't know he hunts. Some don't know he has guns. When he wanted to show a friend the one that his grandfather left him, he asked permission. He is respectful of what they can do and what their purpose is.

I have photo's of me at a very early age dragging a Rifle...a Ruger 10/22 to be exact...

Congratulations?

Who is denying there can be no change? Maybe you have missed the last 50 years of gun regulations? 50+- years ago we could buy guns through the Sears catalogue, delivered to the house....or the local hardware store.

Yes, compromise, please tell us what people such as you have given those that enjoy guns, up?

Honestly, my family has talked this over time & again. I would be willing to give up SOOOOOOOO much more. I don't need to keep my guns at my home. I don't need access to virtually unlimited ammo. I don't need access to high-capacity magazines. There's so much, really.

And you know what a lot of us HAVE given up? Our children. Thankfully, mine are safe. But there are so many that have been killed for the paranoia and vanity of a vocal group.

Lets see.....gun owners now need to fill out a 4473, some states have waiting periods......

Does filling out forms cramp your shootin' hand?

When that's as painful as choosing a child-sized coffin, I'll feel sorry for you.

I'm not moved by your arguments much.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:07 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,586,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
David Hogg is now demanding that Publix donate $1 million to his cause and pledge to never support a candidate that the NRA likes again.

https://amp.washingtontimes.com/news...-control-push/

Also trying to organize a "die-in" at the Publix in Parkland tomorrow. This is what happens when people encourage illogical thought.
Sounds like he's an Al Sharpton in the making.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-25-2018 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: inappropriate

Old 05-25-2018, 03:20 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,586,620 times
If Publix wants to cave to this little extortionist, I can certainly add them to this list of anti-gunners:

Alamo
Avis
Budget
Delta Air Lines
DICK’s Sporting Goods
Dollar Rent A Car
Enterprise Rent-a-Car
Hertz
Kroger
L.L. Bean
MetLife
National Car Rental
REI
Symantec
Thrifty Car Rental
United Airlines
Walmart
Allied Van Lines
Chubb
First National Bank of Omaha
North American Van Lines
SimpliSafe
Starkey Hearing Technologies
The Mountain Equipment Co-op
TrueCar
Youtube
Citigroup
BlackRock
Bank of America
Amalgamated Bank
JPMorgan Chase & Co
Yeti Coolers
RPM Development Group
Lyft
Planned Parenthood
MoveOn
American Federation of Teachers
Everytown for Gun Safety
Giffords Courage
Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America
Aetna
Michigan Education Association
American Psychological Association
National Women’s Caucus of the Green Party
Gun Safety Alliance
Sierra Club
Texas Democrat Party
Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
GLSEN
Gucci
Moms Demand Action
Bumble
Viacom
Salesforce CEO Marc Benioff
Golden State Warriors coach Steve Kerr
Human Rights Campaign
National LGBTQ Task Force
NAACP
ACLU of Pennsylvania
United We Dream
Rock the Vote
Public Higher Education Network of Massachusetts, Inc. (PHENOM)
National Organization for Women New York City
Head Count
Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey
League of Women Voters of Vermont
Ben & Jerry’s
Smith College
Pace University
Claremont School of Theology
Washington State Psychological Association
DoubleDutch
Southwest Airlines
Marriott
Tumblr
Sandy Hook Promise
League of Women Voters of Florida
Vermont-NEA President Martha Allen
Women’s March Vermont
Amplifier
MTV
CT Corporation System
The Action Network
American Eagle
Democracy Now
Univision
Mi Familia Vota
CREDO/CREDO Mobile
San Diego 350.org
SEIU Florida
Boston Teachers Unions
Shutterfly
Miami Dolphins
New England Patriots
Amnesty International
CAIR Texas
Black Lives Matter
OccupySF
School-Based Health Alliance

Old 05-25-2018, 03:33 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
He didn't demand it, he is publicly shaming a company behind a pro-NRA shill. Groups like the NRA will be a problem so long as there is money behind them. Hogg and others in the March for Our Lives group are trying to remove the money and there-by the power.
I provide the money, and I am the power. Nothing you or this alien-like punk can do about it.

Amazingly, your side still can't grasp what you're up against.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies