Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 07:49 AM

46,189 posts, read 26,862,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Tons.

I lived in Alaska during the era when everyone and his dog Bob was packing.

People were regularly shot in bars.

I watched a guy shoot himself in the side once while demonstrating how he was shot in the side during a scuffle earlier in the day. In the same bar, no less. Police were not called either time.

Even though everyone knew that at least a few patrons, if not all of them, were armed, people still pulled out guns to settle disputes or just to prove they were tough enough.

I no longer live in Alaska, so I don't know if the use of guns has declined, but I've been in union meetings where a disagreement will arise and the next thing you hear is the clanging of guns against the metal folding chairs as everyone hauls out their weapon of choice.

Shortly after we moved to North Carolina, someone was shot at a gun show.

Is that really the world we want to live in?

WOW...I live in Fairbanks from 92-94....never ever seen anything what you say....never....

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/armed-citizen/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 07:52 AM

138 posts, read 167,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
I will never understand why anyone would willingly give up their right to self defense. The gulags, the camps, the ovens, the killing fields, these are the memorials to those who do.
It’s 2018. Every person in the country owning a gun wouldn’t stop this mythical government takeover your people like to go on about. You get that right?

Old 05-25-2018, 07:55 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,355,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Tons.

I lived in Alaska during the era when everyone and his dog Bob was packing.

People were regularly shot in bars.

I watched a guy shoot himself in the side once while demonstrating how he was shot in the side during a scuffle earlier in the day. In the same bar, no less. Police were not called either time.

Even though everyone knew that at least a few patrons, if not all of them, were armed, people still pulled out guns to settle disputes or just to prove they were tough enough.

I no longer live in Alaska, so I don't know if the use of guns has declined, but I've been in union meetings where a disagreement will arise and the next thing you hear is the clanging of guns against the metal folding chairs as everyone hauls out their weapon of choice.

Shortly after we moved to North Carolina, someone was shot at a gun show.

Is that really the world we want to live in?

Since I don't drink, Alaska seems like the place for me, except it is too damn cold for my skinny ass.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:56 AM

38,972 posts, read 50,909,546 times
This sounds like a domestic dispute. The "hero" shot the gunman after he left the venue. The argument that guns saved someone is utter bs. The real story is, like it always is, once again someone with a problem had all too easy access to a gun.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:57 AM

138 posts, read 167,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
You don't understand. Your teachers used to tell you this. 350,000 in Virginia carry. Wrap your mind around the real numbers.
Lol ok...that’s out of a population of 8.4 million. So 1/24 people. Most of whom are probably rural. Thanks for proving my point. You people are a very loud, screaming minority who only still have your weapons because a large corporation pays off politicians and brain washes you into believing what you people constantly spout off. No teacher told me that. My lil brain did. Wrap your head around that

Old 05-25-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whywontthisjustwork View Post
It’s 2018. Every person in the country owning a gun wouldn’t stop this mythical government takeover your people like to go on about. You get that right?

What stops them from turning this place into marxist oppressive hellhole, like those enslaved throughout Europe, where you have NO rights... NONE!?
Everything is a privilege.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:00 AM

5,751 posts, read 2,757,420 times
It’s so funny that when the bad guy has a gun, it’s never the guns fault. But when the ‘good guy’has a gun, it’s ‘thank God for the gun’.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
It’s so funny that when the bad guy has a gun, it’s never the guns fault. But when the ‘good guy’has a gun, it’s ‘thank God for the gun’.

It is not the gun.
It is good v. evil, on equal grounds.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:09 AM

17,642 posts, read 13,462,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Well look on the bright side. When one guy with a gun shoots another guy with a gun there is one less gun owner out there.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:17 AM

3,095 posts, read 2,031,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
I will never understand why anyone would willingly give up their right to self defense. The gulags, the camps, the ovens, the killing fields, these are the memorials to those who do.
Years of indoctrination. It will happen here too if we don't start doing enough to stop the indoctrination of children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies