Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the church be taxed?
Yes, tax the church 103 60.59%
No, the church should remain tax exempt 53 31.18%
It depends (explain below) 14 8.24%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 05:07 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I used to be against it. However, no organization should be this powerful, this influential on our politics, and this wealthy without being taxed. I think the church's political activism is going to result in, sooner or later, the inevitable. I think now is the time to start talking about it since the church shoulders most of the responsibility for Donald Trump and the current political environment. Maybe that tax money could help pay for universal health care, you know, something Jesus actually would be for?
The church shoulders most of the responsibility for Donald Trump?? You must be joking.

I'm assuming you're talking about the Catholic Church and I can tell you that my experience is that priests either stay out of politics or they preach the importance of electing people who believe in social justice. (though they shouldn't comment at all) And even if they did preach that people should vote in favor of life, guess what? American Catholics don't follow the directions being given by their priests or they wouldn't be on birth control, having abortions, sleeping around, or gossiping out in the parking lot after mass.

I don't care if they're taxed or not but the justification you're giving is flawed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 05:09 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,116,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupp-certified View Post
Where I'm from taxes sure don't pay for water or the roads - if they did, why am I always paying tolls and water bills!
If they were based on the free market you'd only pay for what you used.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:11 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
In an ideal society I would agree with this. However, the church has been politically active and a strong arm of the Republican Party since Jerry Falwell mobilized it in the late 1970s. If churches are going to be playing politics, they should be taxed.

And I agree, separation of church and state does work both ways. The church needs to either stay out of politics and remain tax free or be taxed if they continue to be political.

Okay, which church are you talking about? I assumed Catholic but Falwell wasn't Catholic. He was a Southern Baptist.

You can't just lump all Christians together and refer to them as 'the church' because that doesn't exist.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:16 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post

We have a pretty good thing going. Church and State are separate. Can we please leave it that way?
If only they were!

But they are not - especially in SOME states and definitely not in DC.

There are Christian organizations that many DC pols are part of that don't even believe in Democracy or the Constitution. You have heard the names of many of these people. They belong to a group called the Fellowship that prays together and wishes to install Jesus Christ (personally - really!) at the head of governments all over the world...including here.

No kidding. They are the group that sponsors the "Prayer Breakfast" which, in itself, breaks the idea of separation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fe...n_organization)

Old 05-25-2018, 05:18 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
The church shoulders most of the responsibility for Donald Trump?? You must be joking.

I'm assuming you're talking about the Catholic Church and I can tell you that my experience is that priests either stay out of politics or they preach the importance of electing people who believe in social justice. (though they shouldn't comment at all) And even if they did preach that people should vote in favor of life, guess what? American Catholics don't follow the directions being given by their priests or they wouldn't be on birth control, having abortions, sleeping around, or gossiping out in the parking lot after mass.

I don't care if they're taxed or not but the justification you're giving is flawed.
Catholics didn't vote for Trump. MA and RI are two of the biggest Catholic states in the USA.....all went against him. Same with most other Catholic areas...although not by much when taken all together

"Catholic voters narrowly went for Democrat Hillary Clinton, 48 percent to 45 percent"

Old 05-25-2018, 05:38 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:

Your experience may be different. However let me assure you that many churches are becoming very political. My sisters facebook feed was full of conversations and comments from church officials encouraging her to vote for trump in order to stop abortion.

And Trump and Pence have been working hard to give churches more rights to be involved in politics. Its very alarming for many people.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:40 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,174,531 times
I think worn out arguments should be taxed.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:09 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Okay, which church are you talking about? I assumed Catholic but Falwell wasn't Catholic. He was a Southern Baptist.

You can't just lump all Christians together and refer to them as 'the church' because that doesn't exist.

The white evangelical church. White evangelicals are responsible for Trump and are the most political. We have actually reached a point where it's almost becoming more political than religious. Just look at some of the recent activities of the likes of the Hagee clan, Robert Jeffress, and Jim Bakker.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:17 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
There is simply no good reason why churches should not be taxed.

Everyone else pays property taxes on property. Sewer lines, water lines, roads, fire department, police protection, ... Why should everyone else be covering their share?

Separation of church and politics? Give me a break. Many churches openly campaign for anti-abortion legislation and candidates. Evangelical Christians campaign for Trump. ...

Many churches receive federal, state, and local government funds to run their "charitable" operations. Now there is a big push for government-funded vouchers for church schools.

The Salvation Army is the only church that actually walks the talk. Between their soup kitchens, homeless shelters, and various programs for the less fortunate, they probably have enough charitable deductions to offset their income.

Jesus was fine with rendering unto Ceasar.

I'm fine with it as well.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:52 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
There is simply no good reason why churches should not be taxed.

Everyone else pays property taxes on property. Sewer lines, water lines, roads, fire department, police protection, ... Why should everyone else be covering their share?

Separation of church and politics? Give me a break. Many churches openly campaign for anti-abortion legislation and candidates. Evangelical Christians campaign for Trump. ...
As individuals always have been able to. What is your argument here? That since P.P. is tax exempt, that exemption should be removed if a pro-choice individual campaigns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies