Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 05:01 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
In real life, I occasionally like to discuss issues with those of differing opinions who discuss things openly and will hear, if not agree with, me. I know a few local people who think Nunes has just temporarily lost his mind and his way and hope he might regain it at some point.

I confess though, so many of the Trumper posts here on the forum are so banal, intentionally obtuse or trenchantly absent good sense/intellectual curiosity, that you can't engage in a real conversation. I take mini-C-D vacations or reductions just because it becomes no real challenge or there is minimal positive gain. You have to wade through so much drivel to get to the interesting posts. And, at times, it's just flat out draining, negative and disgustingly depressing as is Trump. When you work to write a sourced post which takes time, only to see a really good, interesting thread just up and disappear (often WHILE you're writing the post). A waste of time and energy. Disheartening.

I've often thought it would be great to have a non-Trump only and a Trump only board here. So they can blather each other to death and we can have a real exchange of ideas without those who just want to get the goat of non-Trumpers who want a real discussion. I wonder, would they attempt to sabotage and shut down so many threads by those of their own bent?

Unfortunately, there is a strong indication from a majority of Trumpers that, the more they can repeatedly give non-Trumpers a "poke in the eye" or shut them down when they don't want to hear it, the happier they are.

So, I guess I'll have to chat more with the locals including the few who think Nunes hasn't REALLY sold his soul to the devil.
I read and post here to gain a broader understanding of what's going on. So much is going on that it is hard to keep up and even harder to make sense of things.

There are indeed a number of pro-Trump folks who post nothing but nonsense, clear attempts to derail the conversation, filled with "slyly" worded insults about others being crybabies, wetting their pants, etc.

To be fair, there are several non-Trump folks whose posts amount to little more than "Trump is a moron."

I tend to use the ignore function a lot. I appreciate the option to view a specific post without being subject to a steady stream of vitriol. I also just ignore most threads.

Though the pro-Trump folks appear to dominate the threads, the polls consistently show about a 40-60 split, about where the nation is today. Gallup had Trump approval at 40% and disapproval at 55% yesterday.

But the reason I stay on is that there are several who post here who are interested in exploring worthwhile dialogue.

For example, I'm interested in Nunes. He's a fascinating character. He keeps popping up in the oddest dramas and he always ends up looking like a stooge, astonished that things didn't work out the way he had hoped.

He appears trapped in a role he is ill-suited for and not all that comfortable in. Like a poker player who keeps losing one pot after the next despite his best bluffs but who can't get up from the table as he's already lost too much money.

He's been re-elected several times. What do folks in Fresno see in him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 08:13 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Can anyone make a case that someone like Nunes that was in the Trump campaign can head a house investigation committee? Anyone?

Old 05-29-2018, 09:33 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Maybe that's why Nunes went to Washington.
He may get his own statue there.
He is turning out to be an American hero.

He was right about his first choice of an occupation------mucking-out dairy barns. I wonder why there hasn't been an effort to recall him, in California? You'd think that there'd be a lot of recall efforts against republican members of congress. But he has little chance of being reelected this fall, after the way he has disgraced his district and state. There will be big turnouts by democrats in that election, to dump people like him.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 05-29-2018 at 10:23 PM..

Old 05-29-2018, 09:42 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Can anyone make a case that someone like Nunes that was in the Trump campaign can head a house investigation committee? Anyone?
Yes. He is a member of the House.

Wow - that was easy.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:23 AM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Yes. He is a member of the House.

Wow - that was easy.
Sure because you are ignoring the fact that he worked on Trumps campaign and believe him to be a fair and independent chairman.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:19 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
Only if local votes count. The votes of those people who elected Nunes, sent him to Washington and then re-elected him previously thinking he was going to work in behalf of them. Now seems they're thinking he's working in behalf of Trump and not in their best interest. (Like a number of constituencies and incumbents in other areas. A Trumpian reversal trend/tide.)

A paper that, in the past, has supported Republicans who actually work in the better interests of their overall constituency and community which Nunes isn't even concerned enough to pretend to do. He's busy serving his Trump master and Russia. Setting his sights there for his next job?

So you don't buy that the hometown paper is of value in providing info about Nunes. How about money/fundraising? Does that matter? Nunes outsider, newcomer opponent, Andrew Janz, has already raised more than four times the amount Nunes has in his own district. Those who used to generously open their pockets for their native son now aren't. Gee, could it be the Trump thing like so many other places?

What a predictably Trumpian attitude and thing to say. Like Trump, his sycophants are always wanting to inflict damage and vengeance on non-believers. No matter how dunderheaded/wrong-headed the Trumpers are.

Non-Trumpers, of all political stripes, just want to be rid of the pathologically lying, sociopathic, black-hole-where-a-conscience-should-be, old buzzard and the carrion he surrounds himself with. We want a decent president that inspires pride and confidence in our country instead of the mortification, depredation and erosion inflicted upon most of us by the malefactor Trump and his mob.

What part of a LIBERAL RAG do you NOT understand?

EVERYTHING you claimed comes down to BEING a LIBERAL RAG MOST of what they say will be NEGATIVE towards repubs.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:20 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,568,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Can anyone make a case that 13 hyper-partisan Trump-hating Democrats , some as serious donors to Hillary, can head a fair investigation against Trump?

Old 05-30-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Can anyone make a case that 13 hyper-partisan Trump-hating Democrats , some as serious donors to Hillary, can head a fair investigation against Trump?
This was a sad attempt to derail the conversation with your favorite talking point.

Ask for new material, preferably something on Nunes.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:35 AM

Nunes' silence get curiouser and curiouser.

It's been a week since the briefings, and nary a word.

If there had been anything, anything at all that he could have distorted to make the FBI sound nefarious, "he would have knocked the doors of the room down to get to the nearest TV camera to declare that it was a huge scandal that was worse than Watergate — hell, worse than the Holocaust."

The Curious Silence of Devin Nunes

Old 05-30-2018, 02:27 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,288,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
What part of a LIBERAL RAG do you NOT understand? EVERYTHING you claimed comes down to BEING a LIBERAL RAG MOST of what they say will be NEGATIVE towards repubs.
FYI, the name of the thread is: "Devin Nunes' hometown paper calls on him to resign."

Relevant to the thread, I cited that hometown paper. If you want to refuse to believe and dismiss information that comes from a publication with knowledge of Nunes because of a different political leaning than your own, you are most certainly free to do a little research and cite another reputable source (or not) and refute those fundraising numbers and/or other info about Nunes; not in his hometown paper which the thread is about. But that would take a little work instead of an uninformed blanket dismissal just because.

I cited my source. You can do the same for yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
What do folks in Fresno see in him?
Thankfully, I'm not in his district (though I would love to cast my vote against him if I were).

The few folks from his area that I talk to who still support him are farmers, as was Nunes. They elected him because they thought he supported their ag interests. He has been way too occupied with Trump and Russia to serve those constituents, but a handful still have hope of him regaining his sanity and remembering who elected him. Live in hope, die in despair.

Last edited by mollyblythe; 05-30-2018 at 02:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies