Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 09:27 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times

Advertisements

Considering we have holidays such as National Chocolate Chip Cookie day or National Puppy Day, I don't see the big deal in having a Women' Veteran's Day. Its not like it would be a Federal Holiday.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:33 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Women have served in one way or another in every war this nation has ever fought . They also fought for years to be treated as equals. To be treated on par with their male counterparts. As a vet I fully support female vets. I also feel it would be a disservice to them to segregate them from the men who served along with them.
They are vets, let them be recognized with all other vets on the same day. To do otherwise, in my opinion, diminishes their service and contribution.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:41 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Considering we have holidays such as National Chocolate Chip Cookie day or National Puppy Day, I don't see the big deal in having a Women' Veteran's Day. Its not like it would be a Federal Holiday.
That's my thoughts. As a women veteran from Michigan, it doesn't really hurt anything. Our presences as women that served are not as recognized as men. Anyone in the customer service industry assumes my husband or father is the vet instead of me. I will assume because Michigan has a smaller vet population and/or mostly older male vet population. I haven't experience that in North Carolina or Florida yet.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:51 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
This is just your opinion, right?
Yep. Can't speak for anyone but myself.

That said someone who signs up for military service knowing they're working a job that's as safe as working in any civilian job doesn't deserve the title of "Veteran", not that it should affect benefits, but unless you actually did the job the military is intended to do (receive or return fire) you should not hold the title of veteran. If the criteria is set that "they could have been required to come under fire" then shouldn't that also apply the title to anyone registering for selective service?

Old 05-29-2018, 10:52 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Do we need a "Women's Veteran Day" ?

Nope.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:03 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Yep. Can't speak for anyone but myself.

That said someone who signs up for military service knowing they're working a job that's as safe as working in any civilian job doesn't deserve the title of "Veteran", not that it should affect benefits, but unless you actually did the job the military is intended to do (receive or return fire) you should not hold the title of veteran. If the criteria is set that "they could have been required to come under fire" then shouldn't that also apply the title to anyone registering for selective service?
I'm glad most people don't believe that including the federal government. Unless you are military, you will never know the sacrifice of multiple deployments, PCS to PCS moves every few years, leaving your mom, spouses, sister, brother, grandparents to take care of your children for months on end, the strain of emotional and physical toll, etc. With experience being an Army wife and active duty Army, I completely disagree.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:07 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
A veteran is a veteran. We don't need a separate day.
Stop making sense. You're only going to confuse people.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
don't kid yourself, that is what some would try to turn it into. We do not need days to honor every segment of society. Women who are vets are just that, vet and deserve to be honored just like all vets but they do not need a special day anymore than any other group. it is nothing like Chocolate Chip day or any other of those silly days, it is something to take very seriously. Let's not make a joke out of it.

Old 05-29-2018, 03:32 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
A veteran is a veteran. We don't need a separate day.
Got it right!

Old 05-29-2018, 04:33 PM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
A Michigan lawmaker is proposing a "Women's Veteran's Day" for June 15th citing that it is not fair that stories of female veterans often get left out of the narrative.

Should we create a Women's Veteran's Day? If so, should Veterans Day on 11/11 be changed to Men's Veteran's Day?

Should we also divide us up further and have Black Veteran's Day, Hispanic Veteran's Day, Muslim-American Veteran's Day, Veterans with a Peanut-Allergy Day, LGBTQ+ Veteran's Day, Mormon's Veteran's Day, etc...?

https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/...l/69-559368337

"ERA. all the way"

We do NOT have MALE ONLY Veterans Day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies