Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 06:33 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,699,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Thread title: Some Canadians wait 7 hours in the ER

Guess, they need to either increase the taxes, decrease the wages of the health care workers at the hospitals or take on debt for general operations.
"Some" doesn't equate to all, most or many. That's a deceptive way to make a weak argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 06:50 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
https://www.thestar.com/vancouver/20...vancouver.html

Guess, they need to either increase the taxes, decrease the wages of the health care workers at the hospitals or take on debt for general operations.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellne...ry?id=10508791

I am all for Medicare, Medicaid and State-run insurance cooperatives as long as it's a small state, with Japanese diets and obesity rates and mountain athletic lifestyles.

But overall I can't imagine what will happen if states here in the United States start going single-payer like certain large states have proposed.

American's are far less healthy than Canadians. I can't imagine the waiting times here if we go to a Canadian style system.

The only way a socialized system might work here in the U.S would be if the federal government just gave a block grant based on population to the states and we lived as healthy as people in Japan and the wages were much lower in the health care profession.

How can that be? They have free healthcare, that we are suppose to envy...

Old 05-31-2018, 10:52 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
LOL.

Canada's healthcare may not be perfect, but I assure you, Canadians do not envy Americans for their healthcare.

If anything, Americans are pitied throughout the developed world.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:54 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The same way folks in the USA way for hours in emergency rooms.

And you aren't suppose to envy it. Canadians don't care if you envy them.

It never comes up.

It just never does.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:56 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
How many Canadians have to choose between food or medication, or rent or a doctor's visit? I don't see a flood of Canadians crossing the border for our healthcare "services".

Old 05-31-2018, 11:03 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Quote:

I am all for Medicare, Medicaid and State-run insurance cooperatives as long as it's a small state, with Japanese diets and obesity rates and mountain athletic lifestyles.

But overall I can't imagine what will happen if states here in the United States start going single-payer like certain large states have proposed.

American's are far less healthy than Canadians. I can't imagine the waiting times here if we go to a Canadian style system.
I had a nightmare like that here in the Midwest, at the local privately owned hospital.

Interesting article ...
ER Waiting Times Vary Significantly Across The United States

In the second analysis, Hsia and colleagues examined data from nearly 25,000 ER visits. The data had been collected by the 2010 National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey.Hsia's team found that just over half of the ERs were able to get 90 percent of patients who needed to be admitted in and out of the ER within an 8-hour period. But, less than a quarter of ERs were able to get 90 percent of their non-admitted patients discharged within a 4-hour period.

Quote:
I think that a (truly needed) boost in preventive care would ease the strain on hospital ER's considerably. A National Health Care program and single payer insurance could really help with this.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:05 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
Quote:

The only way a socialized system might work here in the U.S would be if the federal government just gave a block grant based on population to the states and we lived as healthy as people in Japan and the wages were much lower in the health care profession.
Geesh. I have sat in waiting rooms for hours myself here in the U.S. Sometimes it takes months to see a doctor.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:

and this is the side of socialized medicine many people do not understand.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:18 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
How many Canadians have to choose between food or medication, or rent or a doctor's visit? I don't see a flood of Canadians crossing the border for our healthcare "services".
Good point. Healthcare for the common people ... ordinary folks ... is one area we as a nation suck at, and it shouldn't be necessary to cross a border to get decent health services and pharmaceuticals.
Attached Thumbnails
Some Canadians waiting 7 hours in emergency rooms without seeing doctor, 47 hour waits to be admitted-pay-up-usa.png   Some Canadians waiting 7 hours in emergency rooms without seeing doctor, 47 hour waits to be admitted-ouchcare.png   Some Canadians waiting 7 hours in emergency rooms without seeing doctor, 47 hour waits to be admitted-richcare.png   Some Canadians waiting 7 hours in emergency rooms without seeing doctor, 47 hour waits to be admitted-switchcare.png  

Old 05-31-2018, 11:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Sounds better than my experience with our private healthcare, 13 hours to be seen, 48 hours to be admitted.
this is obviously not normal. I have dealt with many ER and have never had a wait over a few minutes. Maybe in the case where the patient isn't all that seriously ill it is different. The only problem we have seen has to do with length of time to get an appointment with a new doctor. That is because many of the popular ones are also booked up for weeks. No system is perfect, ours is still better than countries with socialzed medicine. Think what you want, but even talk to a few doctors in countries with federal health plans. You may have a different idea.

Burdel: when have you waited hours in an ER? There may be exceptions: those living in the inner city that think the place to go if you have a cold is ER, but that isn't the usual situation. We have health providers in our family. I have a good idea about how the system works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies