Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 11:32 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,298,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
People still go to Yahoo?

Apparently so.

Why is the question? It is about as backwards and 1990's Internet as you can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
I thought the 4chan-style sites were among those sites that are occasionally considered the ultimate cesspools of websites.

I actually miss newsgroups.

rec.arts.disney.parks was a favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The fact that we have people like this in our society bothers me. I've been bullied by racist people, so I have a different view on things.

I've been bullied by lefties my whole life and called the most vile names imaginable for my very benign political beliefs.

Quote:
I don't like Louis Farrakhan either, or Khalid Muhammad, or King Samir Shabazz. I'm familiar with said persons. I don't do racism of any kind. As someone who has been subjected to racist bullying, I don't want it to happen to anyone. I do think bigoted people need to be called out and their behavior made unacceptable. There is a difference between free speech and being hurtful/evil.

No there really isn't a difference between Free Speech and being hurtful because everyone has a different idea of what is hurtful. And even if it is hurtful, what if is true? If you weigh 400 pounds and are 5'7" I am sure it is hurtful when someone calls you fat.... but do you want to ban that?

I am not sure what "evil speech" is, but assuming it is something that incites people to violence against others (direct incitement as in "go lynch so-n-so") then it is already illegal and not free speech. The trouble is, many on the left these days want to call what was ordinary speech a decade ago ("homosexuality is a sin") hate speech that incites violence. It isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I view Yahoo as having a moderately left bias. They are no fans of Trump.

Yahoo is MUCH further left than "moderately" left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post
It's not free expression or thought/speech I have a problem with. It's abhorrent racist, sexist and bigoted speech FLOODING comment sections where there literally are thousands of disgusting racist comments on articles that have nothing to do with politics. The article that sent me here was one about a single mother who graduated from Harvard Law, an article that should have few comments aside from the "you go girl!" types. But sure enough because the young woman is black, there are thousands of racist comments. THAT IS A PROBLEM AND IF YOU DON'T THINK IT IS, YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY A RACIST TOO.

You love to shout and name call.

You make no distinction between someone agreeing with the comments and someone agreeing with a person's right to make the statement. The favorite rubric of the left right now if if you don't condemn something you therefore agree with it. If Roseanne tweets something racist I am supposed to go to Twitter and condemn her, otherwise I am racist too. (or maybe I am smart enough to know that everyone knows what she said was stupid and racist)

Quote:
It's not what I consider hate speech. It IS hate speech.

Is this not hate speech?

"LOL What do blacks know about accountability? Accountability is responsibility and blacks will have none of that. They will abandon their children, riot in the streets, and murder one another at will. They are big on their rights not so much on responsibilities."

That's not racist? I would never consider posting something like that because I'm not a racist troll. Would you post something like that?

It is an unfair generalization, but African Americans DO have a higher incidence of births out of wedlock, DO have a higher rate of homicide within their own community and ARE involved in more riots than other ethnic groups. When someone points out those facts they are called "racist". We would be far ahead of the game to acknowledge those facts and work towards solving the underlying issues that make them so rather than denying the problem. It is the same notion that an alcoholic can't get better until they acknowledge they have a problem.

Quote:
I do not want to censor speech. I want to comprehend WHY SO MANY TROLLS FLOOD YAHOO WITH HATE SPEECH!!!

Why is it wrong to be against hate speech? Oh yeah, that's because you support the hate speech because you agree with it. You clearly believe in the same things that the racist trolls say, so you don't see it as an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And there you go. You know nothing about me except I asked you a question and you go to Full Slander and Unfounded Accusation Mode immediately.

You just may be the problem and no one else. You label anything with which you disagree "hate speech".

As for Yahoo, I rarely look at the comments but I have looked at the ones about Star Wars and, while I don't wish to call you a liar, I will say that I didn't see the ones you referenced.
Quote:
It IS hate speech to focus solely on the race of someone and then talk about how all blacks are this and that. It is disgusting sexist speech when there's an article about a woman and the comments are about the disgusting things the trolls want to do to her.
It is sexist and racist when the trolls flood Star Wars articles with their hate-filled rants.

It's not about agreeing or disagreeing politically, again, that has nothing to do with it.
You don't see a problem because you agree with it. That's a fact. , I've seen your posts. You defend hate speech and often turn it around to try and paint liberals with the same brush. You are an older white male so you are the demographic least likely to recognize an issue.

It is HILARIOUS that in the same post you can talk about how it is hate speech to focus on someone's race then focus on their race, age and gender.

That is a triple header of hate speech against groups.

Congratulations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 11:35 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
Quote:
Seven years ago this article was published, and it has gotten 100000x worse since. I personally give Yahoo credit for electing Trump and ushering in this new wave of open racism and sexism. The comment sections there are a nightmare now, overwhelmed with hate-filled trolls who will go ballistic on any article about someone of color or a female liberal.

The real question is...why? Why is it so bad at Yahoo? What can Yahoo do to fix the problem?

Well, I have to ask a serious question.
Is it all about identity, or is it all about IDEAS?

I could careless if it is a monkey. Show me some common sense, instead of fantasyland and illusions and I may take you seriously.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:40 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
It IS hate speech to focus solely on the race of someone and then talk about how all blacks are this and that. It is disgusting sexist speech when there's an article about a woman and the comments are about the disgusting things the trolls want to do to her.
It is sexist and racist when the trolls flood Star Wars articles with their hate-filled rants.

It's not about agreeing or disagreeing politically, again, that has nothing to do with it.
You don't see a problem because you agree with it. That's a fact. I've seen your posts. You defend hate speech and often turn it around to try and paint liberals with the same brush. You are an older white male, so you are the demographic least likely to recognize an issue......
Oh please show me liar. I have defended the right of a person to speak and not necessarily what was said. It does seem that that your thought process is so one dimensional you don't know the difference.

As a note, and I removed your supposed examples, I didn't say that racism or sexism doesn't occur, just that the few comments I have seen it wasn't present.

As a note, if the quotes you listed are real then you are spending way too much time reading them. If you made them up then you have other issues.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:42 AM

19,610 posts, read 12,210,591 times
Quote:
I wasn't even talking about left wing vs right wing in that post. Why did you bring it up?
It is pounded in our head by media that only right wingers can be bigots (and all Trump supporters). It is the automatic assumption.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:42 AM

72,981 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
It's another example of the unintended consequences of releasing a technology like the Internet into the world. Society in the past was healthier, because it was very difficult to be anonymous when expressing a racist or hateful or destructive opinion or idea. Now, these sick personalities are free to say whatever they want, find one another to form virtual alliances, and are able to spread corruption in ways that were naturally damped out in the past. We have no idea where this is going to go. Technology providers of course are assuring us that the brave new world is going to be fantastic. But remember, they are trying to sell us something - and when have you ever trusted a salesman?
Technology was suppose to be a venue where things were democratized. The idiots and smut of the world were able to use it as a medium of pushing their crap. There have always been hateful people, and in earlier times they were more open about it. However, I will say this. In the days without the internet, one had to work very hard to network and create such hateful, smutty alliances. One had to do things like make phone calls, use ham radio, use other media pre-internet. Some people would send hateful flyers around. People had their ways back in the day. Internet just makes it faster.

The way I see it, the tech providers didn't see what was coming. The internet was originally meant for the Department of Defense and eventually went to the universities. The World Wide Web was mainly for university research purposes. What we see today reflects the stuff we have always had in society.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It is pounded in our head by media that only right wingers can be bigots (and all Trump supporters). It is the automatic assumption.
But in the case of the post I was talking about, nothing I had to say had anything to do with left and right. It does not pertain to what I said. I could see if what you were saying was somehow related to what I was saying. It wasn't. I was specifically talking about how posting racist stuff on the internet isn't funny, how I've had to deal with certain stuff, and there are certain things in my life that I don't need. What does that have to do with left wing news or right wing news?

And based on this exchange, I wonder if you are the one making assumptions.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:46 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,221,390 times
Nobody forces anyone to log into any site. You go there on you're own free will. Don't like it, don't go to the site.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I rarely see racist slurs posted.
I never said it was only slurs (and I've seen slurs thrown around). It can be stupid, covert stuff as well. Anyway, you never got the point of what I was saying, or maybe you are just ignoring it.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:23 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,701,993 times
Quote:
Seven years ago this article was published, and it has gotten 100000x worse since. I personally give Yahoo credit for electing Trump and ushering in this new wave of open racism and sexism. The comment sections there are a nightmare now, overwhelmed with hate-filled trolls who will go ballistic on any article about someone of color or a female liberal.

The real question is...why? Why is it so bad at Yahoo? What can Yahoo do to fix the problem?

I never visited the Yahoo forums....but my guess is that it is not aggressively moderated like many sites...hint hint.

Censoring such comments help create the false narrative that racism is really not an issue in America any longer. It seems that way because America has succeeded in censoring away all the evidence. If people were free to simply speak their minds.....there would be no question about how racist this country STILL is.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:26 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,565,658 times
No one is forced to read or watch anything. If I don't like TV shows I don't watch. (yawn)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies