Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 03:31 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,456,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
They are a powerful means to an end. Any idiot knows that these are finite resources. They're also extremely useful at powering things inexpensively until we run out. If we're smart we'll develop nuclear power so we pollute less and have thousands of years of power at hand.

As for manufacturing, ignoring that is ludicrous. If you country isn't making anything, it's just riding the bubble of an invisible economy. It will burst soon enough.

we used to lean in innovation, looking to run our economy through 20th century ideas isn't that; we could be looking to green tech- which already employs more people than coal, but where we lag China.

Btw- we make a ton of stuff through manufacturing -it just doesn't require a bunch of jobs anymore- which is why we should be looking to move the economy towards other areas.

https://www2.deloitte.com/us/en/page...ess-index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 03:39 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
^^^^^^This. Classic negotiation tactics. Many people in the business world know these strategies. Don't like the deal? Walk. Trump knows we have tremendous leverage in our markets, and technology. He is using that leverage to the advantage of the U.S. A President hasn't done that in a long time.

I once worked for a company that had a CEO that used to be a lower C level guy in a massive company. He had ZERO idea of what he was doing. Handling a 20,000 corporate group? No problem. Run a 300 person company? He bombed.

Yes this is classic negotiation tactics....for a business. The world is not a business. Screw a country over and they're not going to trust you next year. When you pull nonsense like this and mess over the local tile guy...no big deal,there are 20 more. The world is more complex and different.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:44 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,954,406 times
Hilarious to label China as "communist". Its like North Korea is called "democratic".

Old 05-31-2018, 03:46 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,748,644 times
When US media describes China, they like to use the phrase "the communist country", which is so weird and hilarious.

It is like describing the US as "the capitalist country", "the traditionally Christian country", totally redundant and makes no sense.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:02 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,728,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
we used to lean in innovation, looking to run our economy through 20th century ideas isn't that; we could be looking to green tech- which already employs more people than coal, but where we lag China.

Btw- we make a ton of stuff through manufacturing -it just doesn't require a bunch of jobs anymore- which is why we should be looking to move the economy towards other areas.

https://www2.deloitte.com/us/en/page...ess-index.html
Good points. The problem is that Obama basically b-tched out and conceded defeat on manufacturing in the USA all dying. Trump has at least fought for American manufacturing. No matter how much you automate, you still need people to support it. I should know. I've worked as IT Support for several manufacturing plants.

If we get to a point where computers and automation does pretty much everything for us, I don't know if you even have an economy anymore.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Good points. The problem is that Obama basically b-tched out and conceded defeat on manufacturing in the USA all dying. Trump has at least fought for American manufacturing. No matter how much you automate, you still need people to support it. I should know. I've worked as IT Support for several manufacturing plants.

If we get to a point where computers and automation does pretty much everything for us, I don't know if you even have an economy anymore.

but rolling back coal environmental regulations wont put enough coal miners back to work to make a dent. W can't compete in unskilled manufacturing with Vietnam and Malaysia. We need to stop propping up industries where we cant compete by clamoring for jobs that no longer exist and instead look to sectors where we can compete- high skilled manufacturing, service jobs (a very nebulous term but one where we can assert influence), hell even trades- we can't outsource plumbers.....

Old 05-31-2018, 04:36 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I once worked for a company that had a CEO that used to be a lower C level guy in a massive company. He had ZERO idea of what he was doing. Handling a 20,000 corporate group? No problem. Run a 300 person company? He bombed.

Yes this is classic negotiation tactics....for a business. The world is not a business. Screw a country over and they're not going to trust you next year. When you pull nonsense like this and mess over the local tile guy...no big deal,there are 20 more. The world is more complex and different.
Nailed it.

I would add though that even in business, if you get a reputation for dishonesty, for not paying your bills, for bullying others around, you will soon find yourself with few willing to do business with you.

For example, American banks have not been willing to finance Trump's schemes in over a decade. He has had to turn elsewhere for financing.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Nailed it.

I would add though that even in business, if you get a reputation for dishonesty, for not paying your bills, for bullying others around, you will soon find yourself with few willing to do business with you.

For example, American banks have not been willing to finance Trump's schemes in over a decade. He has had to turn elsewhere for financing.

hmmmn...where did said dishonest business man have to turn for funding of his business...any particular country??

Old 05-31-2018, 04:52 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,280,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
hmmmn...where did said dishonest business man have to turn for funding of his business...any particular country??
I think it might have a couple of S's and an R in it...USSR? No, that's not it...

Old 05-31-2018, 04:54 PM

20,089 posts, read 8,995,406 times
Bottom line :

Trump always wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies