Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 12:41 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
So now that Trump is president are we back to believing the data that the Bureau of Labor Statistics puts out? Because under Obama it was just a bunch of lies. I mean, I've always believed the data but about half of P&OC posters do not.

of course none of them will address this. They'll just run in and lob more hand grenades then head to the next topic after being called out.....I sometimes wonder why I even bother with this place anymore; there is very little to no actual intelligent back and forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 12:59 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
You know damn well that if the numbers were bad you'd be the first one throwing a tantrum and blaming Donald Trump.
Obviously if someone reverses a trend that's been going Obama for years, they should be held responsible. The only credit that Trump gets is that he's continuing the job that Obama left him. If he screws that up, then he, and only he, deserves the blame.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:10 PM

2,985 posts, read 1,749,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Obviously if someone reverses a trend that's been going Obama for years, they should be held responsible. The only credit that Trump gets is that he's continuing the job that Obama left him. If he screws that up, then he, and only he, deserves the blame.
And you and your ilk are hoping against hope that the US economy tanks so the President can take all of the blame that you all can muster, am I right?

Old 06-01-2018, 01:14 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
The US keeps on being the leader in technology, jobs and building wealth despite the 8 years of Obama trying to choke down the economy and trying to make us all ashamed to be Americans.

"You didn't build that"... Oh yes we did.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:15 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I shall paste what I just wrote in another thread:

Simply excellent economic news today: unemployment rate down to 3.8 percent (or, using Mr. Trump's way of figuring it back when he was a candidate, around 25 percent now), wages up 2.7 percent, etc.

As I often say, I welcome good economic news at face value, regardless of whom is President. I have no problem, this deep into his first term, with giving some credit to Donald John Trump (not full credit, since he did inherit an excellent economy).

Of course, with us now in a tariff war, things may change, and not for the good. The US Chamber of Commerce estimates that with this tariff war the US may lose 2.6 million jobs:

Trump trade policies threaten 2.6 million US jobs, Chamber of Commerce says

I cannot link to it, but the Wall Street Journal editorial today blasted Mr. Trump for starting a trade war, with our closest allies.

Anyway, good news today, but what the situation will be by this time next year, unknown, but probably not as good.
The real important number is the real median wage growth. Not "average wage growth" or growth unadjusted for inflation. We need real median wage growth of at least 4-5% for the next 5-6 years to make up for the stagnation for the past 20 years. And what is it? Is it close to 0%?

Old 06-01-2018, 01:18 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Continuing a trend since 2010.... thanks Obama!
The only thing Obama did was got everybody on Unemployment benefits and out of the job market.

Folks stopped looking for jobs.

Interest rates were forced low. How long can that be sustained?

He spend 10 Trillion dollars... On what?

Obama is an absolute idiot or a complete enemy of the United States of America, pick one.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:31 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
The only thing Obama did was got everybody on Unemployment benefits and out of the job market.

Obama is an absolute idiot or a complete enemy of the United States of America, pick one.

that is easy to fact check.
participation rate mate.

In the last 10 years it dropped about 1% and that period includes the BUSH built great recession...
we have a 30 year trend that has stabilized over the last 5 years..
link in case you can't find it.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-...icipation-rate

Now you know YOU McGowdog now know that your entire premise is completely wrong.
Armed with these new facts, McGowdog, you have a choice, you can either bury your head in the sand, ie lie to yourself and pretend Obama got everyone out of the job market, or you can face the reality that you erred.

Make the choice MGowdog, a facts based world or a fantasyland.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:46 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:

You could argue Obama didn't do enough to stimulate the economy.
But you definitely can't just blame him for all that spending. When the economy crashed folks were desperate. All of a sudden you are going to tell folks they can't rely on services when they need them.
In my neighborhood in suburban Atlanta, it was the diehard Republicans who lost their jobs and turned to the federal govt. for help when they needed it. And you know what -- I'm glad they had the help they needed to get back on their feet.

I've never been thrilled with Obama's job stimulation approach but came across this article.

It is suppose to be a non-partisan analysis..

https://www.cbpp.org/research/econom...r-the-next-one
Policymakers clearly made mistakes in the lead-up to the financial crisis and Great Recession. They failed to use macroprudential policy to weigh against the housing and bond bubbles, and they botched the resolution process of failing financial institutions. But they got the policy response to the crisis mostly right. Not every monetary, financial and fiscal policy step was effective, and the policymaking process was at times messy and counterproductive. But taken in its totality, the policy response was a huge success. Without it, we might have experienced Great Depression 2.0.

The economic expansion is more than six years old, longer than most expansions, and we are getting closer to full employment. It has been a long time coming, but it would have taken much longer without the massive and unprecedented response of policymakers.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:51 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
that is easy to fact check.
participation rate mate.

In the last 10 years it dropped about 1% and that period includes the BUSH built great recession...
we have a 30 year trend that has stabilized over the last 5 years..
link in case you can't find it.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-...icipation-rate

Now you know YOU McGowdog now know that your entire premise is completely wrong.
Armed with these new facts, McGowdog, you have a choice, you can either bury your head in the sand, ie lie to yourself and pretend Obama got everyone out of the job market, or you can face the reality that you erred.

Make the choice MGowdog, a facts based world or a fantasyland.
Blah blah blah Bush blah blah blah Obama.

Bush had 9-11 to deal with, making many mistakes with the same Intelligence team that Obama had.

Bush and Obama both dealt with the onset and aftermath of the housing bubble.

Obama chose to go on the Make America Cow-down and Apologize to the World- Sabotage Tour.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:54 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,665 times
Quote:
Blah blah blah Bush blah blah blah Obama.

Bush had 9-11 to deal with, making many mistakes with the same Intelligence team that Obama had.

Bush and Obama both dealt with the onset and aftermath of the housing bubble.

Obama chose to go on the Make America Cow-down and Apologize to the World- Sabotage Tour.

so I think we got your answer...typical...expected nothing less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies