Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 08:41 AM

59,020 posts, read 27,290,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
So what are your thoughts on this. Back in 2014 the right held him up as what was wrong with the left.
Will the right support the pardon? Will they somehow justify what just four years ago they blasted?

This will be interesting if the pardon goes through.

What do you mean by "threatening"?

And where did you come up with this?

I DON'T see any credible source to back it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 08:49 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
I find it interesting that people are opposed to his sentence being commuted. Its not like he is a danger to people on the streets. While what he did was reprehensible, long prison sentences should be for those that are a danger to you and me. Frankly I would rather someone who has multiple DUIs and ends up killing someone get and serve a full 14 year sentence than this guy. I thought we wanted less people in prison? Or is it just certain people?
Here we obviously differ. I consider attempting to sell a U.S. Senate seat to be a serious crime, worthy of a serious prison sentence. And I'd wager the majority of the 12 million plus Illinois residents, whose representation was up for sale, would agree.

I hope you aren't laboring under the illusion that Trump is considering this action because he thinks poor Blagojevich has suffered enough. You can't be that naive.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:52 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,493,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
What do you mean by "threatening"?

And where did you come up with this?

I DON'T see any credible source to back it up.
If you are speaking about Trump considering commuting his sentence it is all over the enws.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/war...484246091.html

Trump says he's considering commuting Blagojevich's sentence | On Air Videos | Fox News

Old 06-03-2018, 08:59 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Blago was on The Apprentice so that works in his favor.
As was Martha Stewart and her name came up as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
He gets out of jail..so he has a record?

I thought this was a joke when I first read it..then I realized..with Trump's hatred of all things Obama, commuting Blagojinevich's sentence makes a perverted kind of sense.

The fun part, as always, will be watching his base eat it up
And guess who prosecuted this case? Comey. Yep. There's your real answer.

Right wingers were INSANE over Blago's crimes back in the day - now they are on board with commuting his sentence.

That said - I think an argument can be made for same. He did something horrible - he was basically trying to auction off a senate seat to the highest bidder. BUT he also has done 6 years in jail for same.

So I'm torn.

I don't want to see the presidential pardon used only for very high profile cases that fit Dump's agenda either. What about that little guy?

Old 06-03-2018, 09:03 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Trump threatening pardoning Blagojinevich
He is putting lot of criminals back on the street. He'd resurrect & pardon Ted Bundy if he could.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:04 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
It'd be professional courtesy amongst those who'd use public office for personal gain.
LOL, like 80% of the Politicians who ever went to Washington?

Ever wonder how Politicians like Maxine Waters who make less than $200k a year end up being multi-millionaires when all they've done is be a Politician?

Old 06-03-2018, 09:08 AM

9,322 posts, read 16,661,006 times
A majority of veterans find it deplorable that Obama pardoned Chelsea Manning, who jeopardized our military. After all Obama's pardons, why is Trump criticized?
https://www.justice.gov/pardon/obama-pardons

Old 06-03-2018, 09:11 AM

6,748 posts, read 3,365,850 times
I'm originally from Illinois and hated Blagojovich, but in prison it's typical to get a day for a day, and serving 6 of 14 years is about right. It's what any other criminal would get for the same offenses.

If his sentence gets commuted he's really only getting out less than a year sooner, assuming he's not done anything in prison that would negate that.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:12 AM

20,715 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Blagojevich was a corrupt scumbag, however it sure was odd with the evidence presented that he seemed to think he was conducting business as usual. Give him a pair of mirrored sun glasses during that time and I wonder if we would have seen a room full of people in its reflection. I have to wonder if his father in law , and others, just exposed him.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:14 AM

20,715 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
A majority of veterans find it deplorable that Obama pardoned Chelsea Manning, who jeopardized our military. After all Obama's pardons, why is Trump criticized?
https://www.justice.gov/pardon/obama-pardons

That pardon was justified. That was a good thing Obama did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies