Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 07:01 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Very, very few guns are illegal. Virtually all school shooters did NOT legally own/carry/use guns. When someone steals a gun someone else legally owned it doesn't make the gun illegal, but it does make yet another law they broke. I'm sure just one more law will take care of the problem.

Most school shooters were bullied by peers and teachers.
Most school shooters were on prescription drugs.
Most school shooters had no father in their life, just a single mother.
Can you post evidence of these statements?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 07:04 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
MANY of the "students" in big city schools COULD be carrying.

A shooter is NOT going to go into an armed school.
There are 100,000 public schools in the US. Most will not experience a shooting no matter what they do or not.

Depends on the city.

Large city schools tend to be more proactive in terms of keeping guns and knives out of their schools.

Detroit has had metal detectors in schools for nearly 30 years. Reportedly, all Cleveland schools have metal detectors. Same deal on DC. Many schools rely on random wanding. Others put detectors in some schools.

Schools that prevent guns from getting into their schools tend not to have shootings in their schools.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
There is no such evidence.

Adam Lanza refused all medications no different than the Parkland shooter.

Perhaps if they had been medicated, they would not have embarked on rampage.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I live in a city and have a high schooler and they do not have metal detectors in our high schools anymore. They did when I attended high school though in the 1990s.

I think the mindset is different in urban districts and especially inner city schools. I personally feel that many suburban kids don't seem to have good coping skills with everyday life. Many of these shooters, it has been debated that the young white males in particular were turned down by girls/young women and that fueled their rage. Shows to me they are not used to failure are used to getting things their way and in more urban areas, this is not the case in households and especially not inner city households. Kids in the inner city are more likely to know how to deal with rejection or not getting what they want and so are mentally more stable. Note, this is just my opinion and I don't think it is the case for all suburban families. But I know that many people seem to place their kids feelings above all things and lift the egos of their kids and try to handle all their kids problems instead of letting the kids learn, from an early age (like elementary school or preschool really) to try to resolve their own issues.

For the dating/rejection thing, I wonder if parents have told these young men that not all girls/young women will find you attractive or want to speak to you but that there are literally billions of women in the world and one of them will eventually want you.

In some areas though, I do believe that security/metal detectors are at play. I feel that there should be a police officer in all schools with metal detectors and that everyone coming into a school should be checked, just like at federal buildings or airports. That would be something to easily curb school shootings and not even take gun rights/laws into play, just something to get them to stop - funding for a police officer and equipment to scan/review all students, staff, and visitors to the school.

I don't buy into the argument that kids will be scared or made to feel criminalized. I remember when we got metal detectors when I was in high school and it made me feel safer, not scared. We'd had some gang fights at our school and students lobbied to have the metal detectors and officers at our schools so we were happy to get them.
One of the parents of a Parkland victim has continuously made the point, he was subjected to a metal detector and physically accompanied by a security officer, at the Department of Edu in DC for the pre “ Listening Session†.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:00 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There is no such evidence.

Adam Lanza refused all medications no different than the Parkland shooter.

Perhaps if they had been medicated, they would not have embarked on rampage.
Agreed. And contrary to popular belief, most of these shooters were not bullied.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:45 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
You responded to a guy who is really concerned about people blaming "the gun" when it's a white shooter. And while your point is well taken, the gun supporter will not budge that access to guns are any part of the equation regarding this problem............ And it doesn't matter whether the shooters are black, white, brown, green or polka dotted.
Please point us to a new law that will solve mass shootings. Name just 1. It has to be quantifiable, legal and enforceable.

Just 1, shouldn't be too hard now.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:54 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Most of the school shootings (elementary and high school) are in smaller towns and not in bigger and supposedly more violent cities

The city kids are saving their bullets for night time drive-bys.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:19 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Most of the school shootings (elementary and high school) are in smaller towns and not in bigger and supposedly more violent cities

"Of the 10 deadliest school shootings in the U.S., all but one took place in a town with fewer than 75,000 residents and the vast majority of them were in cities with fewer than 50,000 people."

"Experts say the phenomenon is due to a variety of factors that include easy access to guns and the copycat effect of disturbed suburban and small-town teenagers emulating each other. It's also blamed on the pressures of living in small towns that make it harder for disgruntled teenagers to adjust.

"In small-town America, it's said everybody knows everybody, and that's well and good except when you don't want everybody to know what's going on with you," said James Alan Fox, a professor at Northeastern University who has been studying mass shootings for decades. "If things are going downhill for you, you did something wrong or someone did something wrong to you and some girl dumps you, everybody knows. So it's much harder to get away from it."

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2018/ma...g-in-small-to/

List of school shootings since 2000, ordered by # of casualties:
56 - Blacksburg, Virginia - Virginia Tech
34 - Parkland, Florida - Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School
30 - Newtown, Connecticut - Sandy Hook Elementary School
27 - DeKalb, Illinois - Northern Illinois University
24 - Rancho Tehama Reserve, California - Rancho Tehama Reserve
20 - Santa Fe, Texas - Sate Fe High School
20 - Marshall County, Kentucky - Marshall County High School
19 - Roseburg, Oregon - Umpqua Community College
17 - Red Lake, Minnesota - Red Lake Senior High School
15 - Santee, California - Santana High School
10 - Santa Monica, California - Santa Monica College
10 - Oakland, California - Oikos University
9 - Nickel Mines, Pennsylvania - Oikos University
7 - Flint, Michigan - Southwestern Classical Academy
6 - Grundy, Virginia - Appalachian School of Law
6 - Huntsville, Alabama - University of Alabama in Huntsville
6 - Marysville, Washington - Marysville Pilchuck High School
6 - Houston, Texas - Worthing High School
6 - Chardon, Ohio - Chardon High School
5 - Cleveland, Ohio - SuccessTech Academy
... plus 200 more at Wikipedia link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...015_to_present
The article refers to mass school shootings, not school shootings in general.

Old 06-04-2018, 12:23 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
The point about bullying is subjective, what is bullying and to what degree?
The point of fatherless home is incorrect I believe. I think if that was a prevailing fact, someone in the media would have covered it.
But I do recall several times when the mention of anti-depressant and other medications were verified and the percentage of shooters who were on meds was higher than the average pool of students.

Old 06-04-2018, 02:12 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Big cities have metal detectors, mine has had them for years.
But of what quality are those metal detectors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies