Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 01:36 PM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post

Neither Bush nor either Clinton is presently in the White House, so their foreign connections are not relevant. Trump's are.

...and why isn't it relevant to bring up former Presidents to question their links to foreign countries? It is a very small club of living Presidents so we don't have to dig to deeply to gain an appreciation for some history of the office. The perspective of this club is relevant.

I'm just saying that every one of these former Presidents have some links to questionable people, companies and countries. It is all suspect but only Trump is being called out on it? Well with Bush there was much talk of 9/11 conspiracies and flying members of the Suadi royal family out when the entire country was shut down was suspect. It is also suspect how Hillary was raising millions of dollars through donations to her foundation but when she lost the election the foundation was all but closed down? Does anyone think for one minute that those big donations were not meant to curry a bit of favor when she became President?

Let's say that Trump had to go to Russia to borrow money from some billionaires because American banks wouldn't loan him the money. Ok that might just buy those guys a favor or 2 because that is the way the world works but are such ties actually collusion?

Trump was a international business man before and there is no doubt he will return to it after his time in DC.

I just think all this investigation is a way to cast doubt on Trump. If Hillary had won we wouldn't be hearing a peep about the Russians possibly meddling in the election. I suspect this nonsense will go on and on up to election night 2020 and if Trump should win the Dems will double down on the conspiracy theories. If he loses it will be the end of it like a curtain just came down on the stage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 02:19 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
...and why isn't it relevant to bring up former Presidents to question their links to foreign countries? It is a very small club of living Presidents so we don't have to dig to deeply to gain an appreciation for some history of the office. The perspective of this club is relevant.

I'm just saying that every one of these former Presidents have some links to questionable people, companies and countries. It is all suspect but only Trump is being called out on it? Well with Bush there was much talk of 9/11 conspiracies and flying members of the Suadi royal family out when the entire country was shut down was suspect. It is also suspect how Hillary was raising millions of dollars through donations to her foundation but when she lost the election the foundation was all but closed down? Does anyone think for one minute that those big donations were not meant to curry a bit of favor when she became President?

Let's say that Trump had to go to Russia to borrow money from some billionaires because American banks wouldn't loan him the money. Ok that might just buy those guys a favor or 2 because that is the way the world works but are such ties actually collusion?

Trump was a international business man before and there is no doubt he will return to it after his time in DC.

I just think all this investigation is a way to cast doubt on Trump. If Hillary had won we wouldn't be hearing a peep about the Russians possibly meddling in the election. I suspect this nonsense will go on and on up to election night 2020 and if Trump should win the Dems will double down on the conspiracy theories. If he loses it will be the end of it like a curtain just came down on the stage.

Lots of assumptions here.

First of all, as previously noted, Trump is in the White House, not any former presidents or candidates, who do not have presidential power or responsibility. So of course he is going to be scrutinized far more than anyone else you named.

Any president is scrutinized; it goes with the position. And if the evidence points towards wrongdoing, that scrutiny is going to be intense - remember Watergate?? Remember Bill Clinton's impeachment? The scrutiny was intense, and justice was eventually served. No different than now - except that the present situation is a lot more complex than either of its predecessors.

Once again, if Trump is clean, great. If not, well, wouldn't you rather find out?

Last edited by CraigCreek; 06-05-2018 at 02:42 PM..

Old 06-05-2018, 02:46 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Just curious - how many posting in this thread were around during and remember Watergate? If so, were you an adult, child, or teenager way back then?

I was in my mid-twenties then, and remember it well. I even took my black and white TV to work on the day Nixon resigned, so we could witness that historic and very somber moment.

No one I knew rejoiced to see Nixon go, but all were relieved, having been terribly disillusioned by him. He was a brilliant, highly informed and politically talented man whose weaknesses - most of all, his dishonesty - led to his downfall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies