Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 10:42 AM

16 posts, read 4,444 times

Advertisements

Without respect to what you think of Trump personally, he ran as the business candidate. And He brought in business people to run many aspects of the government.

Is the moral decay in Washington DC we are seeing perhaps in part because the ideas of "me first" and "the rules don't apply to me but do apply to you" are the virtues of American business?

It does not seem the case in history that our best presidents were business people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 10:49 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotikdls View Post
Without respect to what you think of Trump personally, he ran as the business candidate. And He brought in business people to run many aspects of the government.

Is the moral decay in Washington DC we are seeing perhaps in part because the ideas of "me first" and "the rules don't apply to me but do apply to you" are the virtues of American business?

It does not seem the case in history that our best presidents were business people.
I would say that is part of the reason. One reason why a politician might do/say controversial things is because they know it is hard to have a congressional super-majority to remove them from office. So, it's "what I say goes since it's hard to remove me office". I apply the same thing to corporate execs.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:52 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,209,432 times
Quote:
What moral decay are you talking about ?

Old 06-05-2018, 10:52 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,144,277 times
We've seen how well government people run the government. I welcome letting "business people" try since the private sector does a better job of pretty much everything.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
I would say that is part of the reason. One reason why a politician might do/say controversial things is because they know it is hard to have a congressional super-majority to remove them from office. So, it's "what I say goes since it's hard to remove me office". I apply the same thing to corporate execs.
Consider all the 50k tables and first class this and that from all his staff. Business people do not take back seats. Pardoning yourself for a crime would be considered completely acceptable to most CEO's.

Maybe people didn't understand what the values are of corporate America when Trump was saying those things, because how can you be upset with a former CEO wanting a 50k table? That's a third of what they would spend on cigars on a year.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
We've seen how well government people run the government. I welcome letting "business people" try since the private sector does a better job of pretty much everything.
Yeah true. Just do not act surprised when tax dollars go to private sporting events, private airplanes etc.

They may also take away elderly and child services, because to them it's dollars and cents not going to productive assets.

I've never thought business people were right for Government because a business does not serve a social purpose at large. However, Mr Trump was very truthful in explaining he was a business person and he has run the joint as he said he would which is why I don't see how people can be mad at $400 dinners and trips to private 'sexacapdes'.

That's what these people do folks. It's how they live.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:48 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
I llike that Trump has proven that a non-politician can attain high office. I also like that he brings a businessperson’s perspective to the office. What I don’t like is that any billionaire business tycoon is going to have Trump’s lavish lifestyle habits and that any New Yorker is going to have his brash arrogance.

But the bottom line is the choice was between Hillary and Trump and America chose the lesser of two evils.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:56 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Business people have not, in history, been terribly effective Presidents. I see nothing thus far to prove this wrong.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:59 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post

Including the creation of places like Love Canal, PCBs, and flammable rivers. Oh Joy!

Old 06-06-2018, 05:05 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,791,886 times
Private sector people are infinitely better than politicians. The only 2 I’ve seen in my lifetime were Reagan and now Trump and without a doubt those were the 2 best periods of economic growth and wealth creation. Clinton was OK too but he had a conservative legislature filled with private sector people. He governed more like a conservative than a liberal. The key during these times of growth is you can’t just sit around and wait for it all to come to you, you got to go out and get it. Invest, look for more lucrative jobs, start a business, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies