Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2018, 05:05 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Sounds like a business opportunity to me.
Meanwhile I need to buy something at the store. I don’t want a business opportunity, I want the product that I need.

You go ahead and keep living in an Ayn Rand novel...I’ll keep living in the real world where anti discrimination laws prevail. Okay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 05:09 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, you aren't the arbiter of whether it's appropriate for someone to sue over discrimination. That's up to them.

What happens if there isn't enough people who are willing to boycott them? Or if such LGBT people live in an area with enough homophobic people who will support that, or just don't care?

Some of ya'll just don't remember the sit-ins for lunch counters who didn't want to take black people's money back in the 1960s.

It's pretty naive to think that popular sentiment will come in and save the day. You do need the law to have teeth to enforce people being treated fairly.
It's coming close to that in some places.

The Georgia Peach Oyster Bar hosted a Neo-Nazi rally back in April.
https://www.ajc.com/news/local/rural...Vl3rxZqG9ufeO/

The bar that I've mentioned has a history of hosting white nationalist groups. This bar is still in business. While Blacks aren't turned away at the door, the owner basically has an environment that would discourage Blacks from eating there. Some Blacks have eaten there and commented on the bad service.

It isn't the first time that bar has run into come controversy: https://www.ajc.com/news/local/bar-o...kdJS2hczRhoNN/

I know about that bar because it is somewhat close to where I live. Not that close, but close enough. While many people won't eat there, it still gets enough customers to stay in businesses. Some are unaware that the owner loves hosting Neo-Nazi meetings, or they don't care. Some might even agree with those Neo-Nazis. While the bar owner has a right to host those rallies and post racist stuff in his restaurant, this should show that the free market has not driven him out of business. He's still in business. I guarantee that if this were the Jim Crow days, he would post "no Blacks allowed". He knows he can't say "no Blacks allowed". However, I can tell he wants to.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:29 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Oh, there's always been folks who are racist. It's just in the past few years, they're more willing to voice their true feelings.

That's why so many of them voted for Trump. They knew he would empower them to express and practice their bigotry. Most of them are tightly clinging to their unworthy positions about him, because they know that this is their last chance for fulfillment. The country is changing, with younger and more open-minded people gaining political and social strength. The right-wingers are dinosaurs and their only continuing legacy, will be as fossils.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:36 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Why do you want to be served by someone who doesn't want to serve you?

Just for spite?

Wouldn't you be better off taking your business elsewhere and supporting someone who is happy to have your business and let the jerk's company fail when word gets around that they're jerk's ?
Maybe people just want to buy their groceries or take their dog to the vet or just generally go about their business without life being a massive uphill battle at potentially every step.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:39 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
For all the hordes of customers in the middle of nowhere?

Old 06-06-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
In the United States, the free market wouldn’t hurt racist businesses not even a little bit. They would thrive just like they did before anti discrimination laws.
It has happened before. There no reason for you or me to believe that it would not happen again. This is why I am happy for the civil rights laws out there. If that stuff were revoked, those who are racist would go back to do what they did in the Jim Crow days.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:45 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Nope - In the good old days they would not rent or sell you a suitable facility and the zoning board would turn down your application and if you tried to open the whole salers serving the area would decline your business.

The old jim crow web was very effective.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Nope - In the good old days they would not rent or sell you a suitable facility and the zoning board would turn down your application and if you tried to open the whole salers serving the area would decline your business.

The old jim crow web was very effective.
If was effective for anyone who was not Black or non-White. It was not effective for minorities, especially Blacks. Some people want those "good old days" back because they don't like Blacks or other non-White groups. Some people want to see the days when anyone who wasn't White could be kept on the periphery of society.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:51 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1
I think people were less racist than they were decades ago. But I think people are more racist now than they were five to ten years ago.
Quote:
Definitely. People are undoubtedly less racist.

But I don’t want to remove anti discrimination laws and find out just how true that theory is. Any exceptions to that maxim would come at my inconvenience more so than yours. I’m sure that people serve me all the time who would rather not do so. But I’m not interested in their personal feelings. I just want them to do what the hell im paying them to do.

I understand that people believe in property rights and the right not to have to serve someone...but those people are comfortable in the fact that they won’t be discriminated against.

They say that without the discrimination laws, the free market would prevail and discrimination would be rare, but that requires a lot of trust on the part of black folks like myself. There were free markets back in 1950, and that didn’t stop people from discriminating back then.

Nah..I trust the law. I don’t trust my fellow Americans.

Just to be clear since I wasn't very clear in writing it - I think racism is on the upswing and may be more prevalent than ten years ago.

I know some posters think that's a result of being more blatant and vocal about it, but I think a lot of factors have contributed to an increase in racism.

But even if I didn't believe this, I agree we shouldn't do away with anti-discrimination laws. Even people with the best intentions could decide not to approve a loan or rent property to, or any number of things when it comes to minorities. The fact that on average, black people make less money than white people might put black renters at a disadvantage, for example, because they don't look as good on paper. If a person feels their neighbors might not be happy selling or renting to a black family, that might influence someone.

And it will still happen, as you know. I know people who will never hire another black person because when they've had to let them go, they've been accused of racism. Illegal, but hard to prove.

The older I get the more annoyed I am by over legislating our lives to death, but this is one area I have no problem with.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:52 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
How will I know where I’m better off taking my business? Should I call every business first before going just to make sure that I won’t be denied service?

See, this is what I’m talking about. White privilege makes you think that being white is the default setting of this country. You know damn well that YOU will be served everywhere, but I’m supposed to make myself subject to the whims of white peoples so that you can have your libertarian utopia.

It’s like this: where they take YOUR dollar, they’d better take MY dollar. Why? Because the damn law says they must. I’m not interested in any other option.

Is that spite? Maybe it is...but dammit I’m paying for it. If you wanna grit your teeth while taking my dollar, you go right ahead. But you WILL take that dollar and you’ll do whatever the hell I paid you to do and you’ll do a damn good job too. The same job or better that you did for FatBob.

Or else.

So your ultimate goal isn't to be served.

Your ultimate goal is to punish those who don't wish to provide their time and labor to you against their will.

The wonderful thing about the free market is you can find multitudes of businesses that would be happy to take your money without having to punish those who don't.

Take the gay couple/Christan Baker scenario for example.

In this day and age you could easily find a bakery that is not only happy to serve gay couples, but even specialize in gay wedding cakes.

So what purpose does punishing the Christian Bakers serve?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies