Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 01:15 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,423,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
We are so apathetic that it's frightening. I think if the Feds started going into homes arresting people who had more money in the bank than they thought they should have given their salary, the rest of the nation would sit by idly and watch, thinking, 'Oh well, it's not me....'

Or we'd sit online and gripe about it like we're doing here.

We've lost a lot of civil liberties since 9/11. Most people don't even try educating themselves about that, let alone doing something about it.
I agree, and believe thats the heart of the problem, if people today had the patriotic spirit that citizens did years ago, Govt or law enforcement would not dare attempt anything like this.

I also think the founding fathers are probably rolling in their graves at how apathetic we have become today, just allowing them walk all over our rights, in the name of safety/ security! LOL

Imo, law enforcement is no different than some terrorist organization, I absolutely despise them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 05:22 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,086,232 times
FANTASTIC thread, Frank. Well done.

We as a people MUST put aside petty political differences if we want to regain our liberty.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:30 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,457,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I've never been more sad reading something that I was in complete agreement with.
Great reply. Sad, but true. But really, really sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
And even on CD the Politics forum is just a slice of what people are interested in. You have people preoccupied with why they don't have any friends or if their boss is going to fire them and on and one in any number of topics in other forums that directly effect their lives. I am afraid most don't care about this.
You're right. I also think that the shrinking of the middle class has meant people are busy thinking and worrying about other things. If they cannot see things with their eyes, they're not real threats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I agree, and believe thats the heart of the problem, if people today had the patriotic spirit that citizens did years ago, Govt or law enforcement would not dare attempt anything like this.

I also think the founding fathers are probably rolling in their graves at how apathetic we have become today, just allowing them walk all over our rights, in the name of safety/ security! LOL

Imo, law enforcement is no different than some terrorist organization, I absolutely despise them.

What happened that we went from the protests of the '60's to this? I swear they're putting something in the water or using subliminal messaging to make us all lazy and stupid with regard to our rights. It's not like we trust the government. We're too smart for that and those days are through.

And the more I read about the criminal justice system the DOJ, etc., the more disgusted I become. What a sham.

It's not even JUST the government. Every week we find more and more shady ****e out about Facebook yet 99% of the population isn't in an uproar about this.

And people wonder how Germany happened. It starts out with this kind of apathy.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:21 PM

29,814 posts, read 11,392,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

What happened that we went from the protests of the '60's to this? I swear they're putting something in the water or using subliminal messaging to make us all lazy and stupid with regard to our rights. It's not like we trust the government. We're too smart for that and those days are through.

Instead of protesting the government now its the left protesting the right and visa versa. I would not put it past them to use some mind control. But a vast majority of people care almost entirely about themselves and the circle of friends and family around them. Anything outside of that is not a big deal. They might vote and have an ideology but its not a big part of their life. I know in times earlier in life when money was tight all this other stuff took a back seat to dealing with that situation.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
It's not just foreigners trying to leave the U.S...

Alabama Police Use Asset Forfeiture to Ruin an Innocent Small Business Owner

Cops Steal $91,800 From a Musician, Claiming He Gave It to Them

Judge Orders San Diego D.A. to Return $100K it Seized from Family of Marijuana Business Owner

Unanswered questions in $340,000 seizure after April traffic stop

DEA Seized $4 Billion From People Since 2007. Most Were Never Charged with a Crime

Authorities in Utah Seized Nearly $3 Million in Cash and Assets From Citizens Last Year

Small Alabama Town Hired Cops, Judge, Prosecutor, Set Up Speed/Asset Forfeiture Trap

This is what the cops are doing with the stolen money:

Texas Town in Trouble for Spending Money Seized from Citizens on Trips, Non-Police Business

New York Prosecutors Gave Themselves $3.2 Million in Bonuses With Asset Forfeiture Funds

Tennessee Spent $100K in Asset Forfeiture Funds on Catering

Anyone still believe we're free and that cops work for us?

Thanks for the links. Unfortunately most of these seizures don't make it into the news.

There is a service called Black Asphalt that contains a private database of information from Americans that cops can subscribe to. Totally wrong. If you read the link the founders of Black Asphalt were impersonating cops, seizing citizens assets and splitting the profits with the local cities. And when they got caught no one was arrested for it.

https://www.acluok.org/en/news/aclu-...olvement-black

I got pulled over a year ago in a small town in Oklahoma I had out of state plates. Cop claimed I had a back door of my van that was not closed tight which was not true. He spent two hours grilling me even brought out a drug dog and claimed the drug dog smelled drug residue in my van. Kept asking me the same questions over and over. I have never used drugs or transported them so I don't believe the dog smelled anything. Finally he let me go. I know he was trying to find a reason to seize my vehicle. I consented to a search which I probably should not have but with his attitude it would have gotten much worse if I said no.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:10 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,629,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Why? You break what law by carrying a large sum of cash?

If I have $57k in the bank, and I take it all out in cash and carry it around, what law am I breaking? What if I am paranoid and don't like using credit cards, but I do like having baller vacations, and I figure $57k in cash is enough to let me go somewhere and live the baller life for a week or two. What law have I broken by choosing to have the cash to pay for such things? If I take all four of my credit cards with their current balance/limits, I am carrying a good chunk more than $57k in spendable funds, I am just carrying it differently. Nobody would stop me from carrying all four of my credit cards with a much higher spendable total, so why should I be stopped for carrying cash which represents less spending power?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
EXACTLY

It is none of their damn business if I carry cash. Unfortunately law enforcement considers cash people to be extra funders of their departments and athletic leagues, never mind what "disappears" before it hits the evidence locker.

i do agree with you guys, but the problem is not the administration, but rather the courts that have allowed the RICO act to be expanded beyond its original intent, that of taking assets away from criminal organizations.the solution would be to reign in the RICO act through an act of congress to make it much harder to take assets from innocent people.

make the government prove through the criminal court system that the person carrying the money got it illegally. but that means a criminal prosecution that they may lose.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:55 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,183,185 times
Civil forfeiture = more money for cronies.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:52 AM

15,932 posts, read 12,181,950 times
Until more people know about and contact their representatives about civil asset forfeiture, nothing will change. Remember they are fighting the war on drugs for the children!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post

I got pulled over a year ago in a small town in Oklahoma I had out of state plates. Cop claimed I had a back door of my van that was not closed tight which was not true. He spent two hours grilling me even brought out a drug dog and claimed the drug dog smelled drug residue in my van. Kept asking me the same questions over and over. I have never used drugs or transported them so I don't believe the dog smelled anything. Finally he let me go. I know he was trying to find a reason to seize my vehicle. I consented to a search which I probably should not have but with his attitude it would have gotten much worse if I said no.

I have a bit of a short fuse. I'm not sure how I'd react if a cop did that to me. I consider myself a law abiding citizen but have little regard for liars, scammers, and people who abuse their power. A police offer legally cannot detain you for an extended period of time while they wait for a dog to arrive. Don't consent to a search, and ask the officer if you're free to do if they keep drilling you about a search.. if they are asking you it means they don't have probable cause.. if they have probable cause they won't ask, they'll just have you step out of the vehicle.

I sometimes wonder if most cops are decent human beings who will give you a break like on the cop shows (there was one on A&E last night), or hardasses like this Oklahoma officer you mentioned. I simply don't deal enough with police to know either way. I think it's silly they worry so much about marijuana. If I was a cop I'd do like on the cop shows... give them a ticket and let them go if it's a small amount and they're not driving stoned.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Until more people know about and contact their representatives about civil asset forfeiture, nothing will change. Remember they are fighting the war on drugs for the children!

I have a bit of a short fuse. I'm not sure how I'd react if a cop did that to me. I consider myself a law abiding citizen but have little regard for liars, scammers, and people who abuse their power. A police offer legally cannot detain you for an extended period of time while they wait for a dog to arrive. Don't consent to a search, and ask the officer if you're free to do if they keep drilling you about a search.. if they are asking you it means they don't have probable cause.. if they have probable cause they won't ask, they'll just have you step out of the vehicle.

I sometimes wonder if most cops are decent human beings who will give you a break like on the cop shows (there was one on A&E last night), or hardasses like this Oklahoma officer you mentioned. I simply don't deal enough with police to know either way. I think it's silly they worry so much about marijuana. If I was a cop I'd do like on the cop shows... give them a ticket and let them go if it's a small amount and they're not driving stoned.
The cop was actually very polite not authoritative at all. That kind of through me off in thinking cooperating with him was the best option. He had the dog back in his SUV. He was not delaying for the dog just had endless questions. He took a ridiculous amount of time just running my license. I had nothing to hide and a clean record so I figured it was easier to let him look around then the alternative. These small towns tend to do whatever they want. Good ole boy network. When he did not find anything he asked if he could bring out his dog which again I did not have drugs on me so I figured why not. I go though border patrol checkpoints in Texas and Arizona and they sometimes uses the dogs on all the cars passing though. Something I was used to.

At the time I was rehabbing a house I bought near where I was stopped and I had pulled the carpet and other junk from the house and took it to the landfill a few days before I was stopped. The house had been vacant for several years and according to the neighbors there were drug users that would do drugs in the vacant house and then get run out of there. Its possible residue that was on the carpet fell into the van. I thought about this days later way after when the cop said the dog smelled something. Otherwise he was just lying to see if I would make some confession or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies