Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 10:14 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,744 times

Advertisements

Historical oppression is one of the Left's favorites ways to waste everyone's time. It's history. In the past. So there isn't much we can do about it. The only thing that matters is what you're doing now and what you will do in the future.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:47 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengha View Post
I am not denying that for thousands of years men have oppressed women. And I am not trying to start some men vs. women thing. What I am curious about is, as women, how do you feel men today should feel when thinking about female oppression?
Your logic is wrong. If you go back thousands of years, not a few hundred as you are requesting, women had virtually no hope of surviving without men. Men abused women but also protected them. Women bore them children so men fought and would die to hold on to them. Women gathered food and men hunted. Together they survived.
Before the advent of guns, women in general had little hope of defending themselves against men from other tribes and wild animals. Women were smaller and significantly weaker sex. Nature made it this way not men. A woman by herself had no hope of surviving and she knew it, much less raising a child by herself. This may be a rude awakening for women today but it's true.
You can talk about female oppression now or in recent history. That's entirely different from circumstances thousands of years ago.

Last edited by marino760; 06-07-2018 at 12:25 PM..

Old 06-07-2018, 12:27 PM

2,538 posts, read 2,735,966 times
If woman have been oppressed in this country then it is because they wanted it that way. Women are very clever.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:11 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Historical oppression is one of the Left's favorites ways to waste everyone's time. It's history. In the past. So there isn't much we can do about it. The only thing that matters is what you're doing now and what you will do in the future.
The left needs victims. If it has no victims, it creates them.

Without victims, it has no ideology.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:13 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Your logic is wrong. If you go back thousands of years, not a few hundred as you are requesting, women had virtually no hope of surviving without men. Men abused women but also protected them. Women bore them children so men fought and would die to hold on to them. Women gathered food and men hunted. Together they survived.
Before the advent of guns, women in general had little hope of defending themselves against men from other tribes and wild animals. Women were smaller and significantly weaker sex. Nature made it this way not men. A woman by herself had no hope of surviving and she knew it, much less raising a child by herself. This may be a rude awakening for women today but it's true.
You can talk about female oppression now or in recent history. That's entirely different from circumstances thousands of years ago.
Adding in that marriage was tremendous benefit to women as it established fatherhood. It created a father-child relationship. It created a family structure. It held MEN accountable for caring and supporting and defending the family.

But you'll never convince one of today's feminists of that.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:21 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Don't feel personally guilty about the historical oppression of women...you had nothing to do with it.

Just don't participate in oppressing women now.
This.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:45 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,522,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Don't feel personally guilty about the historical oppression of women...you had nothing to do with it.

Just don't participate in oppressing women now.
This...
And women need to stop thinking they will marry a man that will support them. Get your own career, and money. Pick up the check when out to dinner. Stop dressing like you are going to a nightclub at work. Kill your own damn spiders, or better yet, catch them and put them outside. Mow your own lawns, learn how to change a flat tire (and do it when you get a flat). Have judges start equally giving men custody of kids, and having the women pay child support. Start throwing women sex offenders in jail with long prison sentences, just like men would get.Stop with the double standard of complaining about men oppressing you, while you fully take advantage of the things that being a female gets you.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:56 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I am.
LOL.

That's one way to end a thread.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:08 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,645,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengha View Post
I am not denying that for thousands of years men have oppressed women. And I am not trying to start some men vs. women thing. What I am curious about is, as women, how do you feel men today should feel when thinking about female oppression?
You may not be denying that men have oppressed women for thousands of years, but I will. Oppression as we define it today has really only existed since human civilization moved past the point where strength meant survival. For most of human history men and women took certain roles in life in order to best ensure the survival of themselves and their families.

I mean, you could point to aspects of religions as proof that women were being oppressed in some ways, but for the most part they simply filled the role best suited for women of their time. People tend to forget that these times of plenty and luxury that we live in today are actually a very new thing in regards to the time we as a species have spent on this planet. And before these times of office jobs where everyone is absolutely able to contribute equally to the cause, the work that had to be done was of a different nature, and men were simply more suitable to handle the heavy work while the women cared for the home and family. It was not oppression that put them in the their position, it was nature and necessity. Men's bodies were created/evolved to be able to handle heavier work better than most women, and since most of the work of previous ages was much more strenuous, it simple fell to the men to do. So this aspect of perceived oppression was simply men and women doing what they were most suitable to do.

Now, as far as standing in a community was concerned, it could be said that most women were seen as less valuable than men. In some societies they were seen as outright property by their fathers and husbands. However, there were still many others who held women in very high regard. It really just depends on which ancient society you choose to study. But the bottom line is this. The modern definition of oppression as it pertains to women in society is exactly that, a modern conception. A concept brought about by advances in technology which enabled women to be able to contribute just as much as men could to pretty much any effort, and men's refusal to accept the fact that times had changed.

I would love to continue this discussion, just to make sure I'm getting my actual point across. But I have to go to work now so I'm just going to have to hope this post is sufficient. If not, I'm sure I'll find posts responding to mine, and I will address those posts after work.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:17 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
I don't even think women are oppressed. I think they allow men to think they are strong or big or smart to let them feel better, when the truth is, women are usually in charge and stronger. Especially of men in couples. I think that is why men are so pissed off and want some thug to be running the country like it makes them stronger. Trump is totally weak, but struts around like he's strong. It's kind of funny really. Trump is physically and mentally weak. His kryptonite is money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies