Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 11:43 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
We know, Sam. Just a big incompetent fool.

https://youtu.be/kcx6WNWcnNw
I'm an avid listener of Jordan Peterson, Sam Harris, and Jung. I agree with all except for Jordan Peterson Christian doctrine, other than that he is an immaculate speaker. As for Sam Harris? He needs to wake up and smell the coffee. Even though I did not vote Hillary or Trump, I too was shocked an dumbfounded to know Trump had won. But before hand I knew Trump was going to win. How did I know? Thanks to Bill Moyers and Charles Maury. With Bill Moyers, I saw a 30 year documentary about two American families. a two parent black family, and a two parent white family. When I watch this documentary, I tend to chock up and tear, and at one point I cried. Its one of the saddest things I ever saw. Folks trying to live under the regimes of Reagan, Bush Sr, Clinton, Bush Jr, and Obama. Five presidents of broken neoliberal promises. These presidents that I mentioned above left "Middle America" in a mess. This documentary proved how Trump will win. Also the black family had 6 virtues mentioned by Charles Maury in his book Coming Apart state of white America, while the white family in the documentary lost their virtues over time. Those people who lost their virtues, are the very people who will vote for Trump.

Trump did not win due to white supremacy, white privilege, or male patriarchy. Trump won the election due to the fact that large swath of the population in middle America, white black and others suffered for 35 years under different presidents and their local and state allies. In conjunction with the recession in 2008, and slow job growth, Trump presidential run was a perfect storm for victory. The recovery was for liberal cities and the coasts. All of those suburban white kids when they finish high school and go to college. After college these kids cant move back to suburbia. These kids have to move to Brooklyn to find a 50k a year office job which was once reserved for an Italian, a black, or a Puerto Rican. Now are populated with suburban folks all over the country. America needs fixing, but problems are fixed when things breakdown, but not when they are breaking. Only time will tell!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 11:47 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Well America couldn’t belive a community organizer with little experience was president for 8 long years and that Hillary didn’t rig the Democratic primaries but truth is sometimes stranger than fiction.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:58 PM

31,002 posts, read 22,045,160 times
That's what happens when the 1% and above own and control everything, and prosper regardless who is in office while the rest of us get less and less.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:04 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,222,322 times
Trump won because Americans were sick and tired of all these sleazy lawyer shysters turned professional politicians running everything. They are a scourge.

Sam Harris has a few redeeming qualities but understanding things outside of his area of expertise isn’t one of them.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:40 AM

3,316 posts, read 2,132,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Sam Harris hates muslims, so he should fit right into tRump supporter camp

Behold, folks of the forum: ignorance personified.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:45 AM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Sam Harris hates muslims, so he should fit right into tRump supporter camp
Why? Trump supporters don't hate Muslims.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:46 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
We know, Sam. Just a big incompetent fool.
As smart as Sam is, he doesn't seem to grasp the idea that human behavior is utilitarian. He seems to believe that humans are looking for truth for the sake of truth. Or that truth can even be found.

No, humans are only looking for useful truths. Humans, all humans, including Sam Harris, are afflicted with severe confirmation-bias. The truth is whatever we want it to be.

And Sam Harris, with his severe case of Trump-derangement-syndrome, practically asserts that politics was honest before Trump came along.

He pays some lip-service to how tribalism is corrupting society and the truth. But doesn't really explain why tribalism exists in the first place, other than to blame social media(and maybe all media).

Sam Harris used to be relevant. Had he come out and just reasonably explained the Trump phenomenon, and not been such a spazz, he might still be relevant.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:55 AM

31,002 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
As smart as Sam is, he doesn't seem to grasp the idea that human behavior is utilitarian. He seems to believe that humans are looking for truth for the sake of truth. Or that truth can even be found.

No, humans are only looking for useful truths. Humans, all humans, including Sam Harris, are afflicted with severe confirmation-bias. The truth is whatever we want it to be.

And Sam Harris, with his severe case of Trump-derangement-syndrome, practically asserts that politics was honest before Trump came along.

He pays some lip-service to how tribalism is corrupting society and the truth. But doesn't really explain why tribalism exists in the first place, other than to blame social media(and maybe all media).

Sam Harris used to be relevant. Had he come out and just reasonably explained the Trump phenomenon, and not been such a spazz, he might still be relevant.
"Humans are only looking for useful truths"
Well put!

Old 06-08-2018, 06:56 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
You've all got it wrong. Trump won because he colluded with Russia. Mueller's going to get to the bottom of this and then Trump will be rightfully impeached and removed from office and America can get back to Business as Usual. That's what America wants, right? To get back on the road that the political establishment had laid before us. Trump is just a speed bump on the Highway to Hell.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:24 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,323,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Who?
Very famous in the online atheist community, who consider him a logical thinker and a genius.

Among academics he's considered an intellectual lightweight, which is probably why you've never heard of him:

1. A verificationist, so doesn't understand knowledge theory.
2. His written work (which he considers original and groundbreaking) reinvents utilitarianism. Thinks science can define morality.
3. His dialectical skills are poor. Fares badly in debates where opponents frame their arguments competently. For example.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies