Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2018, 12:08 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
Just so everyone remembers.....Democrats want single payer health care. It the end game for them. Republicans don't want anything at all.

So, in response to that, the Democrats have to compromise and use the REPUBLICAN plan that originated in the early 1990's and the plan used by a REPUBLICAN governed in Massachusetts.

Then conservatives freak out.
Stop blaming Republicans for BO's signature legislation: Obamacare.

His signature is on the legislation. There is no REPUBLICAN signature anywhere on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 12:15 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Have you heard of Medicaid?

Medicaid will not work for you if you are middle income, have savings, have any property other than the one you live in. You have to be judged destitute to apply. Is that what you are wanting? A person with diabetes who is working and middle class would have to "spend down" and be destitute to get Medicaid. If you are hoping that many middle class people will become poor due to medical bills, the Medicaid is the answer.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:17 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I usually agree with your posts, but I find the above very insensitive to the millions of hardworking people who live paycheck to paycheck (or month to month) and cannot afford to save very much.

There are many reasons why people do not have savings to cover unexpected major expenses and yes, those reasons often involve poor choices -- but that is not always the case.

Exactly.

Where is it written that young people are never victims of a catastrophic illness or accident?......struck down well before they have had a chance to accumulate enough savings to cover a major illness.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:40 PM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Most family doctors are only available M-F 9-5.
If one is SO ill as to need medical care, one is not going to be occupied elsewhere M-F 9-5.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
'Whim'? Are you for real?
Yes. YOUR choice isn't free. It costs other people.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I usually agree with your posts, but I find the above very insensitive to the millions of hardworking people who live paycheck to paycheck (or month to month) and cannot afford to save very much.

There are many reasons why people do not have savings to cover unexpected major expenses and yes, those reasons often involve poor choices -- but that is not always the case.
Not buying it. There is NO reason anyone doesn't save to cover major unexpected expenses other than pure greed and/or the desire to live beyond one's means.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:55 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes. YOUR choice isn't free. It costs other people.
HC is always rendered with the patients consent and best wishes and interests in mind. I agree it is not free, and why we carry HC insurance. My wife unfortunately is of the highest of medical risks and costs. NO fault of her own. We always pay for our coverage, and have been high tax payers for 40 years. She would have been dead in 2004, 2011, 2015, 2017 and 2018 without major medical/surgical expenditure. Right now she is out of town living her life having some fun with her girl friends in Palm Springs. What price, what value is quality life?

Old 06-13-2018, 04:01 PM

15,863 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Exactly.

Where is it written that young people are never victims of a catastrophic illness or accident?......struck down well before they have had a chance to accumulate enough savings to cover a major illness.
I was 23 and 4 months into my first job out of college when I was diagnosed with stage IV cancer. I feel like half of this forum knows my story by heart now but the reason I JUST KEEP TELLING IT is because I'm by no means rare, and absolutely, certainly wasn't someone who got sick and struggled to afford to pay my bills because of lack of planning.

I had more savings than most of my friends combined. That was, oh, about 2 weeks worth of medications and copays with insurance. Without insurance? It would have been a single appointment with my oncologist plus bloodwork. That's it. Considering I was denied health insurance due to minor preexisting conditions I had from before I even turned 18, that's something that weighs heavily on my mind.

And before anyone starts: We can't choose our parents or be held responsible for their bad decisions that render them unable to offer help in these circumstances.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
HC is always rendered with the patients consent and best wishes and interests in mind.
And what about the others who have to pick up the tab? Are THEIR interests even considered at all? Do you have NO shame in charging others for what you or your wife get? Or do you think you're somehow "worth it" so others just have to shut up and pay?

Old 06-13-2018, 04:03 PM

15,863 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If one is SO ill as to need medical care, one is not going to be occupied elsewhere M-F 9-5.
Bless your heart.

Where was I supposed to get money to pay for chemo? Trees?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies