Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 12:25 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,645,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So for you it is about punishing the woman, only allowing her to make the decision if she did not willfully engage in sexual intercourse, taking the decision away if she enjoyed it, not about "killing a baby"?
And there it is. It is inevitable that every time someone voices the opinion that abortion should only be for women who got pregnant under bad circumstances or who are in life threatening danger from the pregnancy, this argument pops up next. So now I'll take it to the next step. No, it's more about wanting the woman to take responsibility for her actions which led to this pregnancy. Like me, this user is against abortion for convenience sake. i.e. This just isn't a good time for me to have a baby. It's not about punishment, it's about taking responsibility. Okay, now that I've voiced that side, let me go ahead with the next phase of the debate.

That's when the next user says "She is being responsible by having the abortion if she feels she isn't ready for a baby or doesn't want a baby." And sure, you could argue that point. However, the counterpoint to that is the woman is being selfish. Rather than face the responsibility of having the child which she allowed to grow to the point of the pregnancy being detected, the woman instead terminates the new life because of a selfish desire to not allow this new life to inconvenience her own life or interfere with her plans. And hey, I sort of get that too. It is human nature to be selfish to a certain extent. Most of us want certain things in life, and some refuse to let anything get in their way, and that sadly often includes the extermination of a new life so that the woman will not be inconvenienced with a baby.

Okay, and now it's time for someone to tell me how an abortion is anything but convenient. Yes, we all know, the procedure itself is no picnic. The word convenient doesn't refer to the procedure itself, it refers to the reasoning behind getting the procedure in the first place.

And finally, to sum up, yes, it's your body. And there are a multitude of things you can do to prevent your body from becoming an incubator for what will become another human being if the gestation period is allowed to go full term. We have condoms, spermicide, IUD's, birth control pills, Plan B pills, etc. all available to the public. And sure, using any one of these can help reduce the risk of getting pregnant, but there is still the possibility that it can happen. However, if you use a combination of these contraceptives, you will be virtually guaranteed to never get pregnant. For instance, instead of just using a condom, use a condom and spermicide and then finish it off with a Plan B pill just to make extra sure you won't end up pregnant. Instead of advocating for abortion so hard, why not advocate more for actual safe, protected sex.

The way a woman ends up pregnant is not a mystery, we know exactly what causes it to happen. And since we know how it works, we can easily prevent it. And I'm sorry, but I'd rather take every precaution in the world than put myself in a position where I'm going to have a new life sucked out of my body because I don't feel like having a baby right now. In the end, it really comes down to being responsible. Either by using protection or by taking care of the new life you and your mate created. Killing an innocent, growing child should not be so easy to do, and it shouldn't be anyone's Plan B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 08:13 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
It's always about the rights of the individual. How far along in the pregnancy does the baby become a human being and receive the rights associated to that human being? At birth, at conception, or somewhere in between?

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 06-10-2018 at 08:27 AM..

Old 06-10-2018, 08:55 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Pro Choice. My Body My Choice?

You made a choice to share your body with someone else. Now they get to have a say. If they can't speak someone else can be assigned to speak on their behalf.
Very similar to what happened last election when Trump spoke for those who no one wanted to listen too.
What if that person lied and said they were sterile?

Old 06-10-2018, 12:05 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
There are millions of women who have babies without any complications whatsoever. It is a natural occurance. The numbers whose lives are threatened by childbirth are a small percentage. Many women have abortions because they don't want the baby. It is an inconvenience for them. Quit trying to make it as though all women who have abortions do so for valid life or death reasons because it ain't so.
YOU don't get to decide what risks someone else has to take with their health and their life.

Do you think the government should be able to force you to donate some of your bone marrow, a piece of your liver or one of your kidneys to save a life, perhaps the life of a child?

Should you be allowed to let someone die just because you don't want to take the risk or be inconvenienced?

BTW, have you signed up to be a living donor?

https://www.donatelife.net/types-of-...ving-donation/

Walk your talk.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:

You made a choice to share your body with someone else. Now they get to have a say. If they can't speak someone else can be assigned to speak on their behalf.
Very similar to what happened last election when Trump spoke for those who no one wanted to listen too.

Alrighty then, once a man has shared his body with a woman, she has a say in whether or not he gets snipped.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:31 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
Quote:

Who is this "they" you are referring to? Who would "assign someone else" to "speak on their behalf" and how exactly do you know what "they" would say if they can't speak?

Old 06-10-2018, 01:10 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,843,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
YOU don't get to decide what risks someone else has to take with their health and their life.

Do you think the government should be able to force you to donate some of your bone marrow, a piece of your liver or one of your kidneys to save a life, perhaps the life of a child?

Should you be allowed to let someone die just because you don't want to take the risk or be inconvenienced?

BTW, have you signed up to be a living donor?

https://www.donatelife.net/types-of-...ving-donation/

Walk your talk.
Re-read my post. The marjority of abortions are NOT due to the mother's physical life being in danger.

Keeping a child from being killed because the "mother" doesn't want to bothered is the government's responsibility. Someone has to protect that child's right to life.

Old 06-10-2018, 01:30 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:

And what about those men who don’t want to make that choice? Or perhaps said person was raped?

Then what? The could go on but I’ll stop with those two.

Old 06-10-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Re-read my post. The marjority of abortions are NOT due to the mother's physical life being in danger.

Keeping a child from being killed because the "mother" doesn't want to bothered is the government's responsibility. Someone has to protect that child's right to life.

As long as pregnancy has the potential to main or kill a woman, women should always have the right to choose. {Keep in mind, a pregnancy can be hunky dory until the last minute when a blood clot gets thrown with no advanced warning and the woman dies, etc.}

And then there's body autonomy, no reason required.

Now tell me, why shouldn't the government have the right to force you to donate a part of your liver to save the life of a child?

Keeping that child from dying just because you don't want to be bothered should be the government's responsibility, right?

Someone has to protect that child's right to life.

Old 06-10-2018, 02:19 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
Quote:

So you are against abortion in cases of rape or incest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies