Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2018, 10:48 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The guy's an idiot if he thinks he can get away with that. Excluding law abiding people from entering your store isn't the way it's suppose to work.

He must have a hell of a gaydar in order to know who is gay or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 10:50 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
He must have a hell of a gaydar in order to know who is gay or not.
Yeah, I don't get that either. It just makes no sense. There are no defining physical or personality characteristics. There'd be no way to tell who's gay and who isn't.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:55 AM

I would like to know why being gay in the eyes of this baker, is worse than being a pedophile, murderer, rapist, thief etc?
Being gay is not even criminal but the one group of people they refuse to sell to, is lawful citizens who happen to be gay....very odd.
To me it's clear the baker has some serious mental issues. The whole Christian thing and that they are hateful etc is far from the truth. This is just one bad guy who hate gays more than anything on this earth. Who knows why...maybe he is closet gay himself and trying to cure himself...lol

Old 06-10-2018, 10:59 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,084,700 times
Why are people so hateful? Look, I understand how some deeply religious people who might own a business don't want to make a gay wedding cake for a gay couple. I get how you can feel that way.

But why are people so excited about being able to do so? Once the SCOTUS decision came down, it only took days for a business to put up a "no gays" sign.

How could people who claim to be humble and judgement-free servant of God and Jesus Christ be so quick to put up a sign that excludes and offends a certain group of people? They were probably so proud to put up their "no gays" sign. The bible teaches us to love another.

How could a servant of God do such a thing? Do they not see their own hypocrisy?

Old 06-10-2018, 11:03 AM

26,494 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Tennessee store puts 'No Gays Allowed' sign back up after Supreme Court cake ruling | TheHill

Speaking as a gay man married to another man, I fully support this dude's right to having that sign up. I'm a strong believer in free speech, including speech that people don't like.

He has the right to post his sign. And I have the right to not shop there. That's how its suppose to work. I absolutely hate it that gay people are suing. Just go somewhere else for goodness sake.
I understand your libertarian point of view on the rights of the store owner to not serve gays and on your right to not give him your business.

However, I don't think it helps society to deny service for arbitrary reasons whether it be race, sexual orientation, gender, etc...

I can entertain the idea that a baker doesn't necessarily have to print a "political message" on a cake that he disagrees with whether it be a swastika or a man and man marrying, but to deny the selling of a cake without a political message is absurd.

A public business should be open to the public with reasonable exceptions (no shirt no shoes no service, etc...)

We need to go forward not backwards where blacks can't be served or have to be served in the back alley.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Why are people so hateful? Look, I understand how some deeply religious people who might own a business don't want to make a gay wedding cake for a gay couple. I get how you can feel that way.

But why are people so excited about being able to do so? Once the SCOTUS decision came down, it only took days for a business to put up a "no gays" sign.

How could people who claim to be humble and judgement-free servant of God and Jesus Christ be so quick to put up a sign that excludes and offends a certain group of people? They were probably so proud to put up their "no gays" sign. The bible teaches us to love another.

How could a servant of God do such a thing? Do they not see their own hypocrisy?
I think it is because these people truly believe their religion, or their belief is the one and only RIGHT one. And they think they know it all better than the next person. I mean, I have a friend who is deeply religious but absolutely judgment free. That is why I really enjoy being around her because she is very laid back and can easily joke about her faith.
Then I met people who claim to be what you describe and they are just awful. If you are not like them or believe like them you are nothing in their eyes. They have some screws lose in their head for sure.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:06 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
"They" did not teach me that.

This is not the first time you demonize an entire group of people based solely on your own experience.
Ok. Tell us what the catholic taught you about being gay? Because as far as I know, they teach a very similar version of God hates the sin but love the sinner. So it's ok to be gay but not ok to be with someone of the same sex. This is another way of condemning people like me to a life of loneliness.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:25 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I would like to know why being gay in the eyes of this baker, is worse than being a pedophile, murderer, rapist, thief etc?
Being gay is not even criminal but the one group of people they refuse to sell to, is lawful citizens who happen to be gay....very odd.
To me it's clear the baker has some serious mental issues. The whole Christian thing and that they are hateful etc is far from the truth. This is just one bad guy who hate gays more than anything on this earth. Who knows why...maybe he is closet gay himself and trying to cure himself...lol
The baker DOES sell products to the same-sex couple, and even offered to sell them anything he had in stock at the bakery. He just wouldn't create a custom-order wedding cake for them.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:48 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Curious to see the pro-discrimination folks address this question.
They point to a libertarian "free market" answer that someone will come in to fill that niche... FYI, I don't believe it either.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:22 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Ok. Tell us what the catholic taught you about being gay? Because as far as I know, they teach a very similar version of God hates the sin but love the sinner. So it's ok to be gay but not ok to be with someone of the same sex. This is another way of condemning people like me to a life of loneliness.
I can tell you of my experience going to Catholic school down the street from the Stonewall Inn in Greenwich Village.

Neighborhood thugs were going around beating up on gay men. My friend and I heard some of our schoolmates bragging about doing this. We went to Mother and "ratted them out", and named names.

Her reaction? She called the police and expelled them. Then she called an assembly of parents and students. Such behavior would not be tolerated in a Catholic school. Mother then went on to say that children are not born prejudiced. Their PARENTS teach them this; whether towards others of different races, religions, sexual orientations, etc. She said to this assembly, 'YOU PARENTS are to blame for this". YOU teach your children, long before they ever come to this school. "We will not tolerate any of this behavior in our school".

This was in the late 1950's/early 1960's.

Edit: I remember being taught that God/Jesus loves all of us whoever we are. We were taught "Judge ye not, lest ye be judged". Didn't the Pope more or less say the same thing recently regarding gays? His words did not surprise me, Agnostic that I am today.

Last edited by Jo48; 06-10-2018 at 04:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies