Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2018, 05:49 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The (D)'s got routed the day Pelosi said “We need to pass the bill in order to find out what is in it.”
For the upteenth time what Pelosi referred to was the final bill AFTER it was reconciled between the house and senate versions. Each passed a bill, but they differed. The bill passed by each was public and available to all to read. When it went to reconciliation, Pelosi said she didn't know what the final would be and people had to read it to find out what was in it, just as she would and every other person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 05:49 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,633,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
what? senile?

sounds to me like you just hate the idea because it is coming from the left.

Is it that you think long term healthcare security is a bad thing, or is it that you have misunderstood the entire concept?

Old 06-08-2018, 06:03 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
For the upteenth time what Pelosi referred to was the final bill AFTER it was reconciled between the house and senate versions. Each passed a bill, but they differed. The bill passed by each was public and available to all to read. When it went to reconciliation, Pelosi said she didn't know what the final would be and people had to read it to find out what was in it, just as she would and every other person.
Which is a lie and not what Obama promised.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:28 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,069,613 times
Quote:
Which is a lie and not what Obama promised.
Good God, man, you do understand how these things work, right? It wasn't up to Obama to pass the bill, it was up to Congress. The two Houses disagreed and had to reconcile their differences.

You are blaming Obama for not doing Congress's job now?

Old 06-08-2018, 06:38 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
As I said in another topic if they take the House they will go off the rails again like they did in 2009 setting themselves up for a defeat in 2020. The Republicans losing the House may not even be a bad thing this election for long term goals.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:39 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Good God, man, you do understand how these things work, right? It wasn't up to Obama to pass the bill, it was up to Congress. The two Houses disagreed and had to reconcile their differences.

You are blaming Obama for not doing Congress's job now?
I'm blaming him for not doing what he promised. Are you saying he didn't know how it works when he made the promise?

There was no debating it out in the open like he promised.

The Obameter: Negotiate health care reform in public sessions televised on C-SPAN | PolitiFact

Old 06-08-2018, 06:43 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I tend to dislike Pelosi, but...

What's wrong with Medicare for all? It already covers the neediest and sickest populations.
Because it's an empty lie. Neither party is interested in that sort of thing, but perhaps it will help in the 2018 elections.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:44 PM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
I don't like Pelosi but have advocated for some type of universal or single payer healthcare for many years. It's going to happen probably later than sooner but it will happen. Healthcare shouldn't be a luxury and politicians are starting to agree with that. At some point, Republicans will get on that bandwagon too or lose elections because of it. Eventually people will start electing politicians that run on this.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:45 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,585,083 times
Quote:
Why should the single mom of two working as a waitress that feels a lump in her breast have to choose between quitting and going on welfare or dying?

In my town, about 20 years ago, their were two 19 year-old women, who were working their way through college, during the evenings, as waitresses. About one year apart, they were riding home on bicycles, when teen-aged boys drove by and threw raw eggs at them. Both were struck in an eye and suffered such damage, that the eyes had to be removed. The cost of the emergency and follow-up surgery and care was astronomical. The high cost of getting artificial eyes, made that out of the question for them. They had huge medical bills, that will follow them all their lives. Finishing their educations was not financially possible. There's not much job opportunity for one-eyed waitresses, who wear eye patches.

In a universal or single-payer health care system, the victims of criminal assaults would be covered for their care. They would also receive rehabilitation therapy and have related expenses covered.

None of those boys were ever identified or held responsible, but of course, they know who they are. Quite often, on Friday and Saturday nights, you see smirking teen-aged boys buying nothing but large cartons of eggs. I've been hit several times by them, while on a bicycle, but I've been lucky. When I ride at night, I wear a pair of wrap-around safety glasses. I've also been shot by boys with B-B guns. The police never waste their time responding to complaints about them or egg-throwers.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 06-08-2018 at 07:03 PM..

Old 06-08-2018, 06:46 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,876,252 times
Quote:
I'm blaming him for not doing what he promised. Are you saying he didn't know how it works when he made the promise?

There was no debating it out in the open like he promised.

The Obameter: Negotiate health care reform in public sessions televised on C-SPAN | PolitiFact
You may as well quit now. The Obama apologists will make excuses for the failures of the ACA. The failures that most predicted once it was passed.

Obama flat out lied about much of it. I prefer to think he lied. If he was truly ignorant of the bill he signed into law, that would be worse still.
Very little of what was promised by Obama and Pelosi in regard to the ACA came to pass. It was a very expensive failure.
You will get a lot of "What she really meant, or what He really meant." You will bet a lot of but but but the GOP. What you won't get is the Democrats screwed up with the ACA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies