Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do gun-control advocates so often bollix nomenclature?
It's largely due to stupidity 18 35.29%
It's largely deliberate mendacity 5 9.80%
It's roughly equal parts of stupidity and mendacity 28 54.90%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 02:43 PM

37,164 posts, read 19,170,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
An initiative (ballot measure) 1639 has been filed here in Washington state. Voters will decide in November whether to enact it as law. Purportedly it would restrict ownership of 'assault rifles.' "Assault rifle" has a well-accepted definition. The U.S. Army's definition is "a selective-fire rifle chambered for a cartridge of intermediate power. " Per this, assault rifles are already illegal in WA.

"Assault rifle" has been re-defined in various ways; Initiative 1639 goes hog-wild; it redefines "assault rifle" as any semi-automatic rifle. So even a .22LR with a fixed 2 shot magazine is now called an 'assault rifle.'

Time and time again, gun controllers seem to bollix nomenclature. The very term "gun violence" is a kind of malapropism. "Violence" is a kind of behavior, not the use of a particular device. It would seem silly to speak of, say, hand-violence (throwing a punch), or bomb-violence. "Gun violence" is actually equally silly.

The latest trend is to speak of "safety" when what is really meant is "restriction." "Safety" properly refers to rules and procedures intended to prevent accidents. Cooper's four rules of safety are 1)finger off trigger until ready to shoot; 2)always point muzzle in a safe direction; 3)treat all guns as loaded; 4) be sure of your target, and what lies beyond. So the next time you hear a politician speak of 'gun safety,' it is very likely in error. Restriction of ownership and "safety" are two entirely different things.

Many other examples of bollixed nomenclature could be cited, but this is enough for now.
Possibly because the gun magazines such as Guns and Ammo and Gun Digest call them assault rifles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 09:18 PM

12,381 posts, read 8,134,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
For those who know guns, could you clear something up? I recently saw an article saying AR doesn’t stand for assault rifle, but Armalite (the manufacturer). Is this true? If it is, what does the AR in the Armalite AR-15 stand for?
Remember a generation ago when AK-47s started hitting American streets? The Soviet rifle and not the American counterpart got most of the bad press at the time as the urban street gang's drug trade weapon of choice supplanting the Uzi carbine used at the San Yisdro CA McDonald's mass killing and the MAC-10 used by TV drug trafficker gangs . In the AK-47 case the "A" in AK did stand for automatic rifle. Since the AR-15 types most got were not shipped with automatic capability, but shared the design features that political players wanted to ban, many assumed or politically suggested that the US weapon's "A" stood for assault, easily done since it was followed by a "R" just as the Russian weapon's "A" stood for automatic rifle

Old 06-13-2018, 12:26 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,743,640 times
If you don't own a gun, you shouldn't make laws on them.

I say that as some people like to say "If you don't have a uterus, an opinion of abortion shouldn't come out of your mouth".

Old 06-13-2018, 12:29 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,490,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
If you don't own a gun, you shouldn't make laws on them.

I say that as some people like to say "If you don't have a uterus, an opinion of abortion shouldn't come out of your mouth".
So are you suggesting that you would trad your position on abortion for a different stance on gun control?

Old 06-13-2018, 01:39 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,874,022 times
People with strong opinions don't always have a strong knowledge. Just the talking points their idols regurgitate to them. The same is of the right.

I had a neighbor who was anti-diesel. Hated diesel anything. He had borrowed my garden tractor a number of times because his Walmart special was always breaking down. He had no idea that my machine was diesel. He just thought that it ran rough at idol. He had vented to me many times the evil of diesel. hahaha

The same mentality abounds among those who are anti-gun. They hate everything about guns, they spew stereotypes about gun owners, and have not an iota of a clue about guns. What it takes to purchase a gun.
Many of those same people spew crap about Christians, Military personnel, cops, and of course rural people. They never served. Were never a cop. Aren't christians and never really attended church ever, and have never lived anywhere but in a city and have never owned or purchased a firearm, but seem to be qualified experts on said topics.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:46 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
People with strong opinions don't always have a strong knowledge. Just the talking points their idols regurgitate to them. The same is of the right.

I had a neighbor who was anti-diesel. Hated diesel anything. He had borrowed my garden tractor a number of times because his Walmart special was always breaking down. He had no idea that my machine was diesel. He just thought that it ran rough at idol. He had vented to me many times the evil of diesel. hahaha

The same mentality abounds among those who are anti-gun. They hate everything about guns, they spew stereotypes about gun owners, and have not an iota of a clue about guns. What it takes to purchase a gun.
Many of those same people spew crap about Christians, Military personnel, cops, and of course rural people. They never served. Were never a cop. Aren't christians and never really attended church ever, and have never lived anywhere but in a city and have never owned or purchased a firearm, but seem to be qualified experts on said topics.

This is very much the case here. So many "experts" out there who know so little.

Old 06-13-2018, 05:33 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,350,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Accuracy would be nice, but I'm having a hard time condemning the gun control advocates over it when the opposition will call something an assault rifle one minute when they're trying to sell it and insist that it's not the next minute when someone suggests we shouldn't let civilians buy assault rifles.
All you have shown is that gun-rights advocates can be just as sloppy with terminology as gun-control advocates. But if you're honest, you must admit that this happens far more often on the gun-control side. For pity's sake, they write the slop into their legislation (see post #1).

Moreover, how do you figure that an error on one side excuses an error on the other side? That is sloppy logic to go with the pervasive sloppy terminology.

Old 06-13-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Why do you care so dearly about whether you use the word "clip" or "magazine" since we all know what it means. Same for the use of Assault Weapon with several definitions floating around. The word Assault would only have meaning if it was clearly defined in legislation which we all know will never occur.

There are no good choices on the OPS lead in and we all know he wanted to be fair.

First of all we all obviously DON'T know the meanings of 'clip' and 'magazine.' They are two different things. As I said, Sen. Feinstein has been involved in gun control for over 30 years, and she still doesn't know the difference. She uses 'clip' all the time when she means 'magazine.'

Secondly if you really think about it, I give the ONLY reasonable choices on my poll. I thought about listing 'other,' as a choice. However, I don't see what other explanation is possible for word misuse other than either stupidity, mendacity, or a combination of the two. What else could it be?

Old 06-13-2018, 05:43 PM

37,164 posts, read 19,170,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
This is very much the case here. So many "experts" out there who know so little.
Damned experts...
Attached Thumbnails
Why do gun control advocates so often get their nomenclature wrong?-img_0822.jpg  

Old 06-13-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight
Why do you care so dearly about whether you use the word "clip" or "magazine" since we all know what it means.....

Quoth Confucius:

Quote:
The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names

Quoth Abraham Lincoln, after asking 'how many legs does a dog have if we call the tail a leg? His answer:

Quote:
Four. Calling the tail a leg does not make it one

Quoth wutitiz:

Quote:
Those who use terms for which they can't give a definition literally don't know what they're talking about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies