Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 10:33 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Sinclair is supposed to be starting a new national cable news channel in the months to come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Sinclair Broadcast Group owns almost 200 TV stations across the U.S.; this is the company that requires its stations' local news operations to air mandated news scripts, video segments, and editorials. Ironically, Sinclair has criticized other news organizations for producing "fake" news.

In my town, that is as liberal and democratically oriented as any could be, this Sinclair plague has slipped in and owns two of the three news-producing TV stations here. The other is owned by Heartland Corp., another ultra-right outfit, with an agenda. If they can't control the voting in their favor, then they try to use their money to buy out the media in places like this.

It must be a bitter pill for many of the local news people to swallow. They've become trusted voices in our community and now, they have to betray us by parroting the lies that are mandated on them by the propaganda masters, or lose their jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 07:45 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Not at all. There's a huge difference between ABC et al offering network-produced national news segments to their affiliates and Sinclair requiring the stations it owns to follow specific scripts and present specific on-screen commentary.

Thanks for playing. Better luck next time.
The primary difference clearly appears to be that ABC, NBC, CBS, and PBS are pushing out leftist news and opinion through the local channels on a daily basis and Sinclair is pushing out rightist news and opinion.

At least I can see that objectively and assess it honestly and fairly. Why can't you?

Old 06-13-2018, 08:02 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
I don't hardly watch any news except 15 minutes in the morning on CBS This Morning and really I only watch it to get the weather and traffic report before I leave for work...

I think people should stop consuming so much media.

I also think that the first bullet of the OP describe's PBS' "The News Hour."

Old 06-13-2018, 12:15 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times
Anime News Network bills itself as the Internet's most trusted anime news source. Outside of the columns (episode and product reviews, interviews, etc.), their news stories are mostly unbiased. They also link to their sources. Apply such a practice to a mainstream news source and I think many people could really trust a hypothetical new news channel.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:24 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,453,778 times
I would love that. Right now I watch NHK avoid the "talk show news" and just get some facts instead of opinion pieces.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:00 PM

956 posts, read 1,207,013 times
Not happening considering the Trump cult has their own set of "facts" When people cannot agree on what is factual or not we have a major problem.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:02 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,453,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
Not happening considering the Trump cult has their own set of "facts" When people cannot agree on what is factual or not we have a major problem.
It's pretty easy to tell.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:14 PM

1,675 posts, read 576,235 times
It is moronic to expect one single news channel to be right about everything. It's not going to happen. All we can do is figure out who is right about what and listen accordingly.
Here is my advice:
When it comes to the economy, most msm outlets are pretty much on point, after all it's their interest the economy runs well, I suggest bloomberg, cnnmoney, and all big media.
When it comes to war and human rights, you are really hurting yourself to listen to big media. You need to listen to local news, they are talking about their communities and neighborhoods, so they have a genuine interest in the well being of people. At the international level independent journalists and most ngo's do good jobs in their reporting.
MSM media is not going to honestly defend workers rights, in fact they legitimize and cover criminal actions of the big player. Vice versa, local and independent news don't have the resources to give the true picture of everything about the economy.
We should listen to everyone openly, knowingly that there are many "credible" sources that don't know what they're talking about.

Last edited by thelogo; 06-13-2018 at 03:32 PM..

Old 06-13-2018, 02:15 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
If there was a cable news channel, with a genuine mission to deliver balanced, non-partisan news, hosted by American anchors, would you watch it?

Here's what I mean by that:
  • A channel that reported not just American based news, but also world news, advances in technology and science, health, arts and so on.
  • That delivered all news, as it happened, with little to no 'opinions' from talking heads?

How interested would you be? Would you welcome it?

Are you happy in your own left or right wing bubble?

Do you already watch a balance of shows including from international sources?

Are you interested in international news?

Genuine answers please - No insults left or right. Let's try to have an adult discussion.
Thanks.
It already exists its called PBS.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:39 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
It already exists its called PBS.
PBS news product is leftist. Case closed. Don't embarrass yourself by trying to deny it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies