Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 04:41 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,525,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Facts. And anyone who says different is just kidding him/herself.

Mexico uses us as a safety valve. South Americans are wary of us because our bullying and of all the crimes we’ve committed down there. They resent years of living under the Monroe Doctrine.

We haven’t a single friend in Asia. Everyone on that continent wants something or has an ulterior motive. You can practically see their leaders gritting their teeth when they shake any US president’s hand. Taiwan has obvious reasons to be obsequious. Japan uses us to save their own money on defense. Ditto Korea. Other Asian nations have accepted the inevitability of Chinese hegemony over the region sooner or later.

Africa is basically indifferent towards us. They look more to Europe, China and emerging nations like Brazil for guidance because all the United States is interested in is peddling weapons and chasing terrorist ghost across the continent.

The Middle East? Not a single friend. In fact, they think we’re the biggest fools on the planet. We’ve made the region a mess by destabilizing it. The Saudis laugh at us behind our backs and the Israelis use us as a blunt object against their enemies. Both nations would kick us to the curb the minute they didn’t need us for something. The Turks think that we’re interlopers who constantly stir up trouble...trouble that ALWAYS causes them problems on their own borders.

Europe? LMAO...please. They see us as the dupes who subsidizes their defense while they lavish their citizens with goodies that Americans can only dream about. The British government pays friendship some lip service, but the British people have no use for us. Not to mention that Britain has gotten us in two world wars, and then screwed up the Middle East, only to hand us that soup sandwich and walk away from it. The British have NEVER been a friend for anything other than an ephemeral convenience.

Australia can take us or leave us. We’re good for them keeping the Chinese tiger at bay, but that’s about it. Of course, they remember our treachery when we tried to rig an Australian election, and Australians remain rightfully wary. Wouldn’t call them a friend by any stretch.

Canada? The Canadians have never asked us for anything. They just want to get along and be a good neighbor. They’ve never done anything malicious to us, and when we’ve been maligned, they’ve stood quietly beside their neighbor to the south and remained a steady friend. They’ve even deployed troops to a few of our dumb wars. We should be very careful not to alienate our only friend.

I’ve said time and time again that I support Trump on trade, and I believe his heart is mostly in the right place on this issue. But if you’re gonna break the rules because they stink, then break another one and show our friends to the north some special dispensation on this and any other issue that you wouldn’t show another nation.

Don’t insult their prime minister publicly...and don’t air family grievances out like an idiot.

That’s all.

"No nation has friends only interests." Charles de Gaulle

"In international relations, there are no permanent friends or permanent enemies, only permanent interests." Lord Palmerston (John Henry Temple) of Great Britain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 04:42 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,260,493 times
Me trump has 65 million friends here he does not need to go to Canada or other foreign countries to find some-unlike his critics here

Old 06-11-2018, 04:48 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,671,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Canada does currently import diary products from the US. Maybe they should just stop?
Yep. Really Trump has no argument. Goods combined with Services show the U.S. has a trade surplus with Canada.

"Notice, though, that we export more in agricultural products to Canada than we receive. What’s more, we export more than five times as much dairy as we import. Then, at the bottom of that chart, services. We export twice as much in services as we import."

"What drove Trump’s response to Trudeau, though, seems to have been something more abstract."

"Much of this, then, may not have been about trade. It may, instead, have been about projecting strength to Kim Jong Un — at the expense of Justin Trudeau."

What U.S. trade with Canada actually looks like
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.426a76b155fd

So why did Trump decide Trudeau was a handy target to attack prior to meeting with North Korea? IMO Trump is extremely jealous because Trudeau is taller, younger and better looking. One might say that's can't be, but Trump cares very much about superficial things like that. It must pain him horribly to have to stand next to Trudeau in photographs. What Trump didn't expect was for Trudeau to fight back. Honestly Trump supporters will face the costs of this and they deserve to.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:49 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,805,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Me trump has 65 million friends here he does not need to go to Canada or other foreign countries to find some-unlike his critics here
They gonna make money mowing each others lawn? Trump keep up the turmoil, thats what it'll boil down to.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:11 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,544,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Yep. Really Trump has no argument. Goods combined with Services show the U.S. has a trade surplus with Canada.

"Notice, though, that we export more in agricultural products to Canada than we receive. What’s more, we export more than five times as much dairy as we import. Then, at the bottom of that chart, services. We export twice as much in services as we import."

"What drove Trump’s response to Trudeau, though, seems to have been something more abstract."

"Much of this, then, may not have been about trade. It may, instead, have been about projecting strength to Kim Jong Un — at the expense of Justin Trudeau."

What U.S. trade with Canada actually looks like
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.426a76b155fd

So why did Trump decide Trudeau was a handy target to attack prior to meeting with North Korea? IMO Trump is extremely jealous because Trudeau is taller, younger and better looking. One might say that's can't be, but Trump cares very much about superficial things like that. It must pain him horribly to have to stand next to Trudeau in photographs. What Trump didn't expect was for Trudeau to fight back. Honestly Trump supporters will face the costs of this and they deserve to.
Are you old enough to remember when Pierre Trudeau was the Prime Minister?

Old 06-11-2018, 05:23 PM

56,989 posts, read 35,122,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
"No nation has friends only interests." Charles de Gaulle

"In international relations, there are no permanent friends or permanent enemies, only permanent interests." Lord Palmerston (John Henry Temple) of Great Britain
The Canadians are FRIENDS...I’m not backing down from my assertion. They have NEVER asked us for a thing, have no ulterior motives, they back us when we’re affronted by some insult, and they don’t need or want our military protection. They’re the one indispensable nation that can look us in the face and tell us the truth about ourselves without fear of backlash...and we should listen.

Many of you hold Britain or Israel in higher regard than you do Canada, which is an absurdity.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:37 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,620,969 times
Quote:
Facts. And anyone who says different is just kidding him/herself.

Mexico uses us as a safety valve. South Americans are wary of us because our bullying and of all the crimes we’ve committed down there. They resent years of living under the Monroe Doctrine.

We haven’t a single friend in Asia. Everyone on that continent wants something or has an ulterior motive. You can practically see their leaders gritting their teeth when they shake any US president’s hand. Taiwan has obvious reasons to be obsequious. Japan uses us to save their own money on defense. Ditto Korea. Other Asian nations have accepted the inevitability of Chinese hegemony over the region sooner or later.

Africa is basically indifferent towards us. They look more to Europe, China and emerging nations like Brazil for guidance because all the United States is interested in is peddling weapons and chasing terrorist ghost across the continent.

The Middle East? Not a single friend. In fact, they think we’re the biggest fools on the planet. We’ve made the region a mess by destabilizing it. The Saudis laugh at us behind our backs and the Israelis use us as a blunt object against their enemies. Both nations would kick us to the curb the minute they didn’t need us for something. The Turks think that we’re interlopers who constantly stir up trouble...trouble that ALWAYS causes them problems on their own borders.

Europe? LMAO...please. They see us as the dupes who subsidizes their defense while they lavish their citizens with goodies that Americans can only dream about. The British government pays friendship some lip service, but the British people have no use for us. Not to mention that Britain has gotten us in two world wars, and then screwed up the Middle East, only to hand us that soup sandwich and walk away from it. The British have NEVER been a friend for anything other than an ephemeral convenience.

Australia can take us or leave us. We’re good for them keeping the Chinese tiger at bay, but that’s about it. Of course, they remember our treachery when we tried to rig an Australian election, and Australians remain rightfully wary. Wouldn’t call them a friend by any stretch.

Canada? The Canadians have never asked us for anything. They just want to get along and be a good neighbor. They’ve never done anything malicious to us, and when we’ve been maligned, they’ve stood quietly beside their neighbor to the south and remained a steady friend. They’ve even deployed troops to a few of our dumb wars. We should be very careful not to alienate our only friend.

I’ve said time and time again that I support Trump on trade, and I believe his heart is mostly in the right place on this issue. But if you’re gonna break the rules because they stink, then break another one and show our friends to the north some special dispensation on this and any other issue that you wouldn’t show another nation.

Don’t insult their prime minister publicly...and don’t air family grievances out like an idiot.

That’s all.

cool story mate.

I love CA, so much that i have "nexus" so.....

Canda and US are great trading partners they have a great country and have supported US since forever.

BUT we have lots of other real allies too. UK is natural ally, we came to their aid when it mattered most. Sure we were slow but we did lots of background stuff too to help them hang on during WWII.

the EU is our natural ally too. We have common problems and both our trade block know that we are stronger together and that even combined we have less people than either china or india so we damn well better work together if we hope to have a strong voice going forward.

But i completely agree with you DD, Chump is acting like a fool and the rest of the nation needs to remind Canada that Trump is like a speed bump , annoying but you get over it fast enough.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:42 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,316,264 times
Quote:
The Canadians are FRIENDS...I’m not backing down from my assertion. They have NEVER asked us for a thing, have no ulterior motives, they back us when we’re affronted by some insult, and they don’t need or want our military protection. They’re the one indispensable nation that can look us in the face and tell us the truth about ourselves without fear of backlash...and we should listen.

Many of you hold Britain or Israel in higher regard than you do Canada, which is an absurdity.

I think its WERE friends. Seriously the Canadians I know understand this trade issue extremely well, and know that our trade has been pretty fair between us. They view us calling the tariffs a "security issue" as a stab in the back, and have taken it VERY seriously. They are incredibly upset by the actions of Trump.

They are much more upset by this then I had expected to be honest.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:48 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,084,361 times
Trump thrives on chaos. I don't think he cares a bit who is hurt, who is alienated, as long as he can make himself feel like the one calling the shots. He is happy when everyone around him is horrified by his behavior because he feels this puts others back on their heels, while he is in "control." His "policies" are only based on that guiding principle: if it creates chaos, it is good. He admires dictators because they are also in control.
He disdains democracy because people have to compromise and work together, which does not appeal to his autocratic sensibilities. We are all watching this country being destroyed by his self-aggrandizing, dictatorial, and definitely short sighted view of life.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:51 PM

25,805 posts, read 16,456,078 times
I would say Canada is more family than friends and family has disagreements that do not affect the real relationship.

As far as our best friend I would say Japan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies