Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 05:23 AM

14 posts, read 5,340 times

Advertisements

I saw an article in the news a few days back about a female fashion exec who was attacked on a London subway and has called out two men for not coming to her aid. In my mind, any able bodied person of ANY gender witnessing an attack on someone of ANY gender should have lent a hand if they were able. But she seems outraged specifically because two men did not come to her aid.

If we have gender equality, if women can serve in the same capacity as men as soldiers, firefighters, first responders and police, why are men held to some different standard if they witness a crime? Why not equally call out any able bodied woman who was present and did not act?

Let's take this a step further and do a little thought experiment... let's imagine a male where attacked in front of some female witnesses who did nothing. Can you even IMAGINE an alternative universe where the man called out these
women as cowards for not helping him and a newspaper article is printed with headlines that basically say the same thing?

Equality is a two way street and it's not always about getting something. Sometimes it's about stepping up as well.
Yeah, I blame those men for not stepping up, but I equally blame any able bodied woman who witnessed this and did step up! Obviously if anyone, male or female, has a child in their care, this does not apply!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...busy-Tube.html

Last edited by dogluvr345; 06-12-2018 at 05:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 06:51 AM

50,155 posts, read 46,811,218 times
So, she is blaming two guys that "didn't" do anything. Not the nutcase that did?

Old 06-12-2018, 06:53 AM

30,562 posts, read 18,061,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
So, she is blaming two guys that "didn't" do anything. Not the nutcase that did?
It is remarkable.

Just like the woman isn't to blame for being attacked, nor are the bystanders. Nobody is to blame but the attacker. No matter how you slice or dice it.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:16 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,403,600 times
I see movies and telly shows where a woman gets the better of a man in a fight. Quite often in fact. I reckon women don't need men to step in at all anymore........

They're boxers nowadays aren't they?

Last edited by English Dave; 06-12-2018 at 07:25 AM..

Old 06-12-2018, 07:26 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,877,650 times
I thought men were obsolete. I thought women needed men like fish need bicycles. ??.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:34 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,064,775 times
Stupid argument. If someone saw some big man needing help should people not help him?

I dismiss your spin on ignoring people in need of help.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:34 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,403,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I thought men were obsolete. I thought women needed men like fish need bicycles. ??.
Just sperm donors these days........ If during a fight, we grab the woman to rescue her, might get accused of groping. Better to let them fight their own battles........

Like the Spice Girls said........ girl power!!

Old 06-12-2018, 07:37 AM

29,474 posts, read 22,487,125 times
The OP is making an assumption. How does he know the victim was specifically pointing out that the two guys should have helped because they were guys, vice helping out in general because they should have as decent people and being nearby?

Anyways it's called the bystander effect and it happens regardless of age, gender, etc.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:39 AM

36,226 posts, read 30,664,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr345 View Post
I saw an article in the news a few days back about a female fashion exec who was attacked on a London subway and has called out two men for not coming to her aid. In my mind, any able bodied person of ANY gender witnessing an attack on someone of ANY gender should have lent a hand if they were able. But she seems outraged specifically because two men did not come to her aid.

If we have gender equality, if women can serve in the same capacity as men as soldiers, firefighters, first responders and police, why are men held to some different standard if they witness a crime? Why not equally call out any able bodied woman who was present and did not act?

Let's take this a step further and do a little thought experiment... let's imagine a male where attacked in front of some female witnesses who did nothing. Can you even IMAGINE an alternative universe where the man called out these
women as cowards for not helping him and a newspaper article is printed with headlines that basically say the same thing?

Equality is a two way street and it's not always about getting something. Sometimes it's about stepping up as well.
Yeah, I blame those men for not stepping up, but I equally blame any able bodied woman who witnessed this and did step up! Obviously if anyone, male or female, has a child in their care, this does not apply!

Mum's fury at men who left her to get attacked on London Tube | Daily Mail Online
First of all equality means having the same legal rights, privileges, opportunities and responsibilities not being the same.

IMO the double standard comes from our entire history of men being portrayed as the stronger sex, the protectors and providers and women being portrayed as weak and helpless. Not only being portrayed as such but held to those roles in law and social acceptance. This has been the way for what, ~150,000 years.

You are expecting this to completely change in 25, 50, 100 years?
Yet globally women have not yet achieved total equality with men.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:05 AM

21,076 posts, read 19,579,298 times
How does she know that the two men who ignored her were not men transitioning to female or that they were minority men trapped in white men’s bodies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies