Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 09:40 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil Torres View Post
You are the one that wrote your rate of return in this market is .01 tp 1%, not me. If you are earning less than 1% rate of return in this market, you are making some incredibly bad mistakes. The US market and US economy are booming. The SPX returned more than 16% in the past year alone. Again, if you are complaining that you are only able to earn less than 1% on your savings, then you need to get some very elementary education of handling personal finances.
So yeah, you can't back up what you said. Savers are not doing very well. Why not just say you misspoke?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Yes. For starters some understanding of the yield curve. Current 1 year treasury=2.35%. 5 year=2.81%. 10 year=2.93%. Five year note looks fairly attractive. Close to 3%. Most of the yield of the 10 year note with less risk.
2.35 means you are doing very well?

Old 06-18-2018, 10:01 AM

20,716 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
So yeah, you can't back up what you said. Savers are not doing very well. Why not just say you misspoke?
Since most people consider their retirement savings to be in equities and bonds , annuities etc. dontchathink its a little silly to use M2 for "savings" terminology?

Old 06-18-2018, 10:02 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times
Quote:
Emil addressed your post quite well, actually. You said that savings accounts were getting .01% to 1%, and asked how that was doing well. Emil said that if you have all of your savings in savings accounts making that little interest you are making mistakes. Not sure why you say that your statement wasn't addressed, since it makes perfect sense to someone reading the posts.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:07 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,092,773 times
Quote:
2.35 means you are doing very well?
I was demonstrating how the yield curve works. Ordinarily the further out on the curve (the longer the time to maturity) the higher the yield. How you got from there to me saying "2.35 means you are doing very well" is a mystery to me. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that rather than being completely ignorant of the basics of saving and investing you are just being intentionally obtuse.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Emil addressed your post quite well, actually. You said that savings accounts were getting .01% to 1%, and asked how that was doing well. Emil said that if you have all of your savings in savings accounts making that little interest you are making mistakes. Not sure why you say that your statement wasn't addressed, since it makes perfect sense to someone reading the posts.
He was wrong. Savers are not doing well.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I was demonstrating how the yield curve works. Ordinarily the further out on the curve (the longer the time to maturity) the higher the yield. How you got from there to me saying "2.35 means you are doing very well" is a mystery to me. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that rather than being completely ignorant of the basics of saving and investing you are just being intentionally obtuse.
I am disputing the idea that savers are doing well.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
He was wrong. Savers are not doing well.
Savers are doing better than spenders. Investors are doing better than savers. Again, if all you're doing with your savings is letting your bank use it then you aren't going to do great - you'll do better than spenders, but not by much. If, however, you put that savings into the right account you will do quite well in the current market.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:07 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,092,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Savers are doing better than spenders. Investors are doing better than savers. Again, if all you're doing with your savings is letting your bank use it then you aren't going to do great - you'll do better than spenders, but not by much. If, however, you put that savings into the right account you will do quite well in the current market.
i.e. putting it under the mattress.

Old 06-18-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
i.e. putting it under the mattress.
Basically, yes. I stopped doing that once I figured out how compound interest works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies