Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 09:23 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,893,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
He returned the salute.

Military protocol requires that the junior man salute first and the senior man answers if he so wishes.
US Armed Forces do not salute an enemy.

TDS reigns supreme among the know-nothings.
White House released a statement that said they told him not to salute. Love your loyalty and your excuses and really who cares but...

Old 06-14-2018, 09:23 PM

30,536 posts, read 18,021,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
The White House released a statement they coached Trump NOT to salute and he did anywsys. Technically not wrong but discouraged by tthe White House administration.

What's funny about thst?
I can find no such statement.

What I did find was an unnamed "White House source" from CNN.

Quote:
A US official told CNN that Trump was briefed on protocol, which is to not salute military officers from other countries.
This is actually most telling, though:

Quote:
The White House, however, is not viewing Trump saluting a North Korean general as a mistake. It is being seen as all part of the broader goal that day, which was to show respect to Kim and his entourage, according to the official.

During Thursday's White House press briefing, press secretary Sarah Sanders said Trump was just using "common courtesy."

"It's a common courtesy when a military official from another government salutes, that you return that," Sanders told CNN's Jim Acosta during Thursday's White House press briefing.

CNN has reached out to the National Security Council for comment.

Trump frequently salutes people he sees in a military uniform, and he saluted Singapore military officials while visiting there for the summit with Kim.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/14/polit...ute/index.html

So, here with have POTUS returning salute from a foreign military officer, as he has been doing as evidenced by his returning salutes to Singaporian military leaders. Nothing to see here folks. And I can tell you that, being in the military, we salute foreign military officers, too.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:30 PM

25,407 posts, read 17,087,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
White House released a statement that said they told him not to salute. Love your loyalty and your excuses and really who cares but...
If I were president I would have returned a salute if offered.

Libs all sing..
My Country's Always Wrong,
This is The Lib'ral's song......

Old 06-14-2018, 09:33 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,893,995 times
Quote:
If I were president I would have returned a salute if offered.

Libs all sing..
My Country's Always Wrong,
This is The Lib'ral's song......
Of course you say that now. Be honest. If it was Obama who had done that you would be so tied up in knots. For me I don't care it means nothing.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:36 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,610,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
One side thinks there's more than one gender.
The other thinks there's no such thing as climate change.
Can we both just come together? Back to reality? With normal republicans/conservatives and normal democrats/liberals?
There is more than one gender. There are definitely two genders. I can vouch for it!

One of these things is not like the other. Climate Change is science. That means factual measurements done by qualified individuals and organizations all over the world - thousands and thousands of educated people...and then agreed upon based on the data.

NOT some chart you or I or a Trumpie posts on this forum....or some theory someone else has. It has nothing to do with social science, philosophy, culture or the like.

Gender curves...or gender bending...or any of that jazz. That's in the realm of culture and social science...with a touch of real science. No one can deny the existence of girly girls....and then tom boys. Heck, I know a woman (or more than one) who can beat most any guys at anything (physical and/or sports or academic).....no one can deny the existence of feminine men. We are all on a scale.

Still, there are only two genders. But someone can "think" they are the opposite. That's not something to believe in or not. If you think you were a Tiger in your last life, that is up to you. I'm not going to stop you.

I truly believe that if you asked everyone in this country to list the two genders of humans and dogs at birth, that 99% of those who can think and write would state male/female. So your example - I feel - is a false equivalency.

I am definitely a lefty. But there are only two genders. By the same token, without extra involvement, only a male and a female can reproduce. But that doesn't mean I don't accept that some people are gay...and others are bi-sexual. Heck, in a different culture I may have went for that bi stuff when I was younger! (ha ha....if I haven't tried it, I can't knock it)....

I see the problem as this. The Right cannot meet the Left on the true level ground - which is that this country was founded and progresses on "liberalism and progressive values". Those, by very definition, mean we move ahead. There is no "other side" except the corruption, self-interest, jailing of children and authoritarianism we are now seeing. That's not two sides of the same coin!

One of these things is not like that other.

Anyway, due to being unable to "fight in the real ring of real issues", the Right has to track down these outlier issues and find some example and then assign that to much (1/2 or more) of the population. But they have nothing to do with the issues at hand.

What about health care?
What about civil rights and voting rights?
What about semi-honest government?
What about MORE money for science and research?
What about trying to stop the gaming of our political system and citizens united?
What about reducing pollution?
What about higher wages and benefits?
What about fair taxation and balancing the budget?

These are the issues of life that matter. They are what the left and most independents want to talk about. But the Right would rather find a "bathroom problem" involving one person somewhere and champion it as the single defining moment of our time. Before that it was gay marriage. Before that it was gays and blacks in general. Then they will rant on about guns, guns, guns.

I wish it was as simple as discussing and compromising on the issues. But the modern Right is following Trump (a criminal and corrupt limo liberal from NYC....and a very ignorant and unwise human being). They'd have to move far upward to even get back to the old "selfish tax cut" type Republican of the past, let alone get to the real issues.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:37 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,632,157 times
If Trump wants to salute the North Koreans, why doesn’t he give up his American citizenship and move there? After all, he thinks Kim Jong-un is a nice guy. What a clueless idiot who is being played by a psychopath!

Old 06-14-2018, 09:45 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,453,073 times
Quote:
He returned the salute.

Military protocol requires that the junior man salute first and the senior man answers if he so wishes.
US Armed Forces do not salute an enemy.

TDS reigns supreme among the know-nothings.
I've taken part in Team Spirit exercises that your boy just said he would be canceling. I've also visited the DMZ.

I don't care if some North Korean General salutes the President, the President does NOT salute back.

Kim wins again. Trump loses again. The world wonders what is wrong with America.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:48 PM

16,062 posts, read 10,626,885 times
Did Trump Salute A North Korean General?

Well, yes he did return a salute but that was not his first instinct. He tried a handshake first. The officer saluted him. I have the lowest opinion of Trump possible but I don't see why this is a thing worth mentioning. This is like Michelle Obama touching the Queen...nobody cares.

If this is your biggest concern you must have missed your nap.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:57 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,086,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
There is more than one gender. There are definitely two genders. I can vouch for it!

One of these things is not like the other. Climate Change is science. That means factual measurements done by qualified individuals and organizations all over the world - thousands and thousands of educated people...and then agreed upon based on the data.

NOT some chart you or I or a Trumpie posts on this forum....or some theory someone else has. It has nothing to do with social science, philosophy, culture or the like.

Gender curves...or gender bending...or any of that jazz. That's in the realm of culture and social science...with a touch of real science. No one can deny the existence of girly girls....and then tom boys. Heck, I know a woman (or more than one) who can beat most any guys at anything (physical and/or sports or academic).....no one can deny the existence of feminine men. We are all on a scale.

Still, there are only two genders. But someone can "think" they are the opposite. That's not something to believe in or not. If you think you were a Tiger in your last life, that is up to you. I'm not going to stop you.

I truly believe that if you asked everyone in this country to list the two genders of humans and dogs at birth, that 99% of those who can think and write would state male/female. So your example - I feel - is a false equivalency.

I am definitely a lefty. But there are only two genders. By the same token, without extra involvement, only a male and a female can reproduce. But that doesn't mean I don't accept that some people are gay...and others are bi-sexual. Heck, in a different culture I may have went for that bi stuff when I was younger! (ha ha....if I haven't tried it, I can't knock it)....

I see the problem as this. The Right cannot meet the Left on the true level ground - which is that this country was founded and progresses on "liberalism and progressive values". Those, by very definition, mean we move ahead. There is no "other side" except the corruption, self-interest, jailing of children and authoritarianism we are now seeing. That's not two sides of the same coin!

One of these things is not like that other.

Anyway, due to being unable to "fight in the real ring of real issues", the Right has to track down these outlier issues and find some example and then assign that to much (1/2 or more) of the population. But they have nothing to do with the issues at hand.

What about health care?
What about civil rights and voting rights?
What about semi-honest government?
What about MORE money for science and research?
What about trying to stop the gaming of our political system and citizens united?
What about reducing pollution?
What about higher wages and benefits?
What about fair taxation and balancing the budget?

These are the issues of life that matter. They are what the left and most independents want to talk about. But the Right would rather find a "bathroom problem" involving one person somewhere and champion it as the single defining moment of our time. Before that it was gay marriage. Before that it was gays and blacks in general. Then they will rant on about guns, guns, guns.

I wish it was as simple as discussing and compromising on the issues. But the modern Right is following Trump (a criminal and corrupt limo liberal from NYC....and a very ignorant and unwise human being). They'd have to move far upward to even get back to the old "selfish tax cut" type Republican of the past, let alone get to the real issues.
I just realized I put one instead of two genders. My mistake.

But yeah, there's alot of issues with the rights. They seem to deny science, oblivious to all the weird stuff going on with the president.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:09 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,223,512 times
Quote:
Persons Entitled to a Salute
The President of the United States (Commander-in-Chief)
Commissioned Officers and Warrant Officers
Any Medal of Honor Recipient
Officers of Friendly Foreign Countries
So the officers of NK aren't a friendly foreign country, but Trump was meeting with KJU to hopefully get things going in that direction, so these Trump haters think what; Trump should have ignored the guy? Flipped him the bird? Made him shake his hand? Offered a fist-bump?

TDS at its finest....time to grow up and get over it.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/u-...salute-3331994
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies