Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 11:41 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I like Uber and have little sympathy for cab drivers. But I really think the states that sold the medallions should offer to buy them back at the original selling price. Cab medallions are nothing but a big government scam.
Indeed. While I am saddened by this news, I welcome uber and lyft with open arms as yellow taxi drivers in this city were too discriminatory both in terms of certain neighborhoods they wouldn't go to and in terms of racially profiling. So I watch their demise with glee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 02:02 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Looks like Turkey gave Uber the boot:

https://pjmedia.com/trending/erdogan...s-is-finished/
Would be fun to know which of his supporters, relatives etc. owns the cab companies etc. lol.

(It happens in the US too, heck when I worked in Chicago we had a guy working there that was the son of a big-name politician....wow could he bring in the new accounts from the city. )

Even US cities tried to freeze out Uber etc. to protect the cab companies etc.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:25 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
What some of you may not understand is that cab drivers often invest their life savings in the medallion needed to run a taxi, then once the other services became available, the price of those medallions dropped down way below what they owed in loans, which means they lost all the money they put down to buy them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxi_medallion

This is very sad indeed, those people were just trying to earn an honest living.

What I'm hearing is those idiots failed to consider the possibility of new competition in their Business Plan.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:30 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
It shouldn't cost that much for a little medal anyways.. creating artificial supply shortages because of a lot of loopholes and expenses is not how the free market works.. anybody should be able to taxi people around assuming they have liability insurance and a way to advertise their services.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:51 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
What I'm hearing is those idiots failed to consider the possibility of new competition in their Business Plan.
Please. It worked from 1937 until 2016. 79 years. And should have continued to work. New York maintained limits on cabs and such but abandoned them in recent years. I would think the limit made sense if you have ever dealt with NYC traffic. I would think it might make an interesting taking case...that the government deprived these guys of the value of their medallions without compensation.

Last edited by lvmensch; 06-16-2018 at 05:04 PM..

Old 06-16-2018, 04:54 PM

34,001 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
$700,000 for a hack license? no wonder uber and lyft are becoming popular.

Price due to NYC capping quantity of medallions.

Old 06-16-2018, 05:33 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
There was a pretty well-known study done by a University of Chicago economist about the economics of the taxi industry. The study showed how the medallion system distorted the market and was horribly damaging for consumers, and to some extent for taxi drivers too.

I can't even find reference to it via google, but IIRC the study was done around 1975, over 40 years ago.

Old 06-16-2018, 05:53 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,378,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
That's the price of a Tribute to our Government. Someone has to finance "this thing of ours".
Yep and this is exactly why the old guard, big government left is fighting the democratization of industries such as transportation and hospitality - they lose their cutbacks, licensing fees and the special interests for cab companies and hotels donate large sums of money to keep it that way.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:51 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Good to see Japan cracking down on Airbnb now. Like I said, I'm not for overbearing government regulations (and I know this is outside of the US) but I also thinkn that Airbnb, Uber, and Lyft are getting a HUGE pass and are misleading consumers and the market with their business practices.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/why-di...b-reservations

Old 06-19-2018, 09:35 AM

27,212 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I feel bad for them, but that's business and life. A better model comes along, and people will choose that.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/unfiltere...164652861.html

Sixth cab driver commits suicide amid financial struggles - NY Daily News
I read a post where a daughter blamed a Spa center for her moms suicide after mom wasn't happy with her botox treatment and accused them of being guilty for her death.

Aren't the people who commit suicide not having mental issues and failed treatment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies