Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 05:07 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
My point was that things like this are posted only as a distraction to the real problems.
Idiots like that are a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 05:40 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
He isn't really complaining about white people, but rather, he associates "Caucasians" with a kind of "white culture", which he sees as shallow, materialistic, entitled, and snobbish.

And he sees those types of whites overrunning the cities through the process of "gentrification", and feels like his neighborhood is being transformed into something he hates.

Can't blame him, I hate those types of whites too. But can't really say that I like non-whites any better.

Old 06-19-2018, 05:53 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
What has he done that is so bad? He is a white man, commenting on misbehaving white kids. Why is this a racial issue, with him getting banned from this burger joint?
Rofl, that wasn't what he was doing at all.

He was complaining about a "white culture", that produces nothing but spoiled brats, who think they can do whatever they want, and their parents let them. And he hopes to keep those types of people as far away as possible.

With that said, I think complaining about "Caucasians", and generalizing it as a "white problem" isn't helping anything. Most white people hate those types of whites too.

It is the middle-class to upper-middle professional whites who are the enemy of mankind. Keep them out of my neighborhood too.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:00 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
Quote:
I still think he was trying to be funny, and didn't think clearly what he was posting. Maybe it was just white kids annoying him at that moment. I find all kids pretty annoying. I had two sons who fought like cat and dog, but I did my best to restrain them when in public. Some folks don't, and allow their kids to run wild. It can be very annoying, and I think this guy was just reacting to that.

Much like Roseanne Barr, and look what happened to her.

Quote:
You'll have to forgive me, I'm English, and maybe I'm missing something here. The American mindset on this kind of thing may evade me.

What has he done that is so bad? He is a white man, commenting on misbehaving white kids. Why is this a racial issue, with him getting banned from this burger joint?
Unlike Europe we have no hate speech laws, but we do have an SJW movement that tries to serve the same purpose and punish people who say politically incorrect things as harshly as they can get away with. No jail time for offenders, but loss of employment, living accommodations, future employment and sometimes family. There is a rather limp wristed counter movement that attempts to hold the leftist SJW's to their own standards but it doesn't have the same social backing as the original movement. It may get a few minor headlines like this story going but is generally not very effective.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:31 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Rofl, that wasn't what he was doing at all.

He was complaining about a "white culture", that produces nothing but spoiled brats, who think they can do whatever they want, and their parents let them. And he hopes to keep those types of people as far away as possible.

With that said, I think complaining about "Caucasians", and generalizing it as a "white problem" isn't helping anything. Most white people hate those types of whites too.

It is the middle-class to upper-middle professional whites who are the enemy of mankind. Keep them out of my neighborhood too.
That's interesting. I have noticed, when visiting America, and I talk with folks, almost the first thing they ask me, is 'what do you do?' Every time. Like what I do for a living is important for them to know. English people don't do that on meeting strangers, and conversing.

I retired when I was 55, so I don't look old enough to be retired. When I tell them that, the next question is, 'what did you use to do?'....... I find it rather strange they want to know this.

These are always white people who do this. I only visit Las Vegas, but you do meet a good cross section of Americans there. If I speak with black people, or what you describe as 'Hispanics', they never ask me what I do for a living. They ask if I live in a big house, or a castle, and do I have a swimming pool out back. I am serious...... not making fun. Sometimes they ask if I'm Australian.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:38 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
He isn't really complaining about white people, but rather, he associates "Caucasians" with a kind of "white culture", which he sees as shallow, materialistic, entitled, and snobbish.
lol, epic comment. Why go to such lengths to defend the racist? Just replace "jew" with "white" in that comment, and try to think.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:41 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
Quote:
That's interesting. I have noticed, when visiting America, and I talk with folks, almost the first thing they ask me, is 'what do you do?' Every time. Like what I do for a living is important for them to know. English people don't do that on meeting strangers, and conversing.

I retired when I was 55, so I don't look old enough to be retired. When I tell them that, the next question is, 'what did you use to do?'....... I find it rather strange they want to know this.

These are always white people who do this. I only visit Las Vegas, but you do meet a good cross section of Americans there. If I speak with black people, or what you describe as 'Hispanics', they never ask me what I do for a living. They ask if I live in a big house, or a castle, and do I have a swimming pool out back. I am serious...... not making fun. Sometimes they ask if I'm Australian.
Sounds to me like the white people and the blacks/Hispanics are asking you the same thing in a different way. They're trying to determine what socio-economic class you belong to.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:11 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,217,887 times
Well, I think he should lead by example. If you feel that strongly about this issue, then go home and put a gun in your mouth.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:15 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Sounds to me like the white people and the blacks/Hispanics are asking you the same thing in a different way. They're trying to determine what socio-economic class you belong to.
Yes, you're right I guess. I do find it puzzling why this matters. The difference is in England, we don't have to ask what socio-economic class we belong to. We can tell just by the accent of the speaker.

For instance, Michael Caine, the actor has a very working class background. He has learned to speak in a very clear English accent, understandable by audiences around the world. His real accent is very East London working class. He drifts back into it sometimes on talk shows.

In England, folks are quietly judged by the accent they have. It is not as bad as it was say, 50 years ago, but a 'good' accent is still important in for instance, business. Even something as apparently minor, as an old school tie is noticed by those looking for it. That reveals your education background.

We don't all talk like Hugh Grant, or the Queen.......

From what you say, Americans have more difficulty deciding on background when meeting someone, so instead, they directly try and find out by the question, "what do you do?"

Last edited by English Dave; 06-19-2018 at 07:26 AM..

Old 06-19-2018, 08:14 AM

1,348 posts, read 792,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
That is exactly correct.

About 9 months ago, I moved to a Midwestern city with a metro population of about 1.5 million and I've noticed that people here often ask where you live in the area. Didn't think too much of it at first but then realized that it is also a form of "pegging". It seems that we're designed that way....wanting to sort-of understand the order of things.

But, it's also interesting to know what kind of work people have done or are doing. It creates a conversation point and I can often find a relatable circumstance to share or have questions that interest me about that occupation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies