Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 09:55 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
LOL, just too darn funny! Here's a guy who has bought hook-line-and-sinker into the nationwide, liberal, fake media network and is spouting THEIR mantra about the other guys right on cue but as if it's his own thinking. Oy vey!!

Feel free to yuck it up.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:28 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,930 times
Conservatives seem to live in a state of perpetual anger and fear. The conservative demand for fresh things to be angry about on a daily basis gave rise to the hate radio industry and keeps a cable news network in business.

Last edited by shorman; 06-19-2018 at 10:51 AM..

Old 06-19-2018, 10:33 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
I agree with the OP on the GOP being more nutso crazy today. I do think having old black Obama in the Whitehouse pushed many of them over the edge and others followed because they like a crazy party lol.

I keep wondering why they are still crazy when they are in power. As liberals are usually only nuts with they aren't in power in the executive office (and honestly, I think they were more civil under GW Bush than they were under Reagan - they did get more refined/calm in the 1990s and are still more calm IMO - though they do have their uber nutso crazies too amongst them).

But the GOP are weird to me in that they are going so crazy right now when they have basically all 3 branches of government. I think it is because their party's leader is, himself, unstable. When you have an unstable leader, he/she leads you to be unstable as well and IMO that is what is going on in the GOP today. I'll note I have a lot of associates and a couple close friends/associates who are moderate Republicans and they actually despise Trump in private but not as outwardly so in public. They don't lie and say they hate him in public but they just don't say anything about their despising him in the company of a majority of conservatives. I think that unwillingness of the sane Republicans to more profoundly and loudly denounced Trump and ask that age old question which ended McCarthyism - "Have you no sense of decency, sir" to their party's leader, is what is making them seem to be the party of nuts.

They've seemingly denounced everything they've ever stood for as a party to support this unstable man. I know I have lost a lot of respect for the party as a whole and feel sad for it based on its pretty illustrious history and the party being reduced to the current level of ridiculousness is just pitiful to me.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 06-19-2018 at 10:42 AM..

Old 06-19-2018, 10:34 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
So common sense says this would change now that we have Trump in power come 2017 right?? Wrong!! For whatever reason it seems like something has changed and the right wing now is constantly angry even with their people and power and guy in charge.. I
Prime example of observation bias and seeing what you want to see. The left has been protesting and rioting for decades and have only gotten more extreme since their candidate lost to Trump.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:39 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Right wingers are very compliant and unquestioning followers.

As you've pointed out, since the early 90s, there's been a nationwide media network catering to them, knowing that they're a very submissive audience that will respond predictably to a message of fear and anger. With the fall of the Soviet Union, they realized that the right wing needed a new enemy to focus their discontent on.

For more than two decades, they've been broadcasting the following message to their minions:

"America sucks and it's all your neighbors' fault!"

It's proven to be very profitable for them, as their sheepish listeners uncritically swallow whatever BS that's served up to them.

And we see the hate radio audience posting what they've been instructed to repeat in these forums daily.

It's not hard to figure out.

Will note ITA with the bold/blue!

It is especially interesting to me the rise of Libertarians in the GOP. Lots of conservative media pundits claim to hold some Libertarian views, as if that makes them a better conservative and I feel that this is why the Libertarians are growing in the GOP and in conservative circles. It is always funny to me that the Libertarians claim not to be Republicans, but usually vote Republican lol. They are just following the crowd and honestly ever since I was a kid, I have not respected people who follow the crowd and didn't read for themselves (entire sources, books, etc.) and subsequently think for themselves.

Conservatives today especially seem to be the group least likely to question anything that is spoken by their leaders or pundits. Liberals, for all their faults are always trying to argue a point (meaning they are more likely to think about something and offer a counter opinion/view even in the company of other liberals who they disagree with - see the Sanders/Clinton stuff that still goes on amongst others). Conservatives will just fall in line in larger numbers of a candidate/idea and say it is "God's will" or something lol.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:38 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Will note ITA with the bold/blue!

It is especially interesting to me the rise of Libertarians in the GOP. Lots of conservative media pundits claim to hold some Libertarian views, as if that makes them a better conservative and I feel that this is why the Libertarians are growing in the GOP and in conservative circles. It is always funny to me that the Libertarians claim not to be Republicans, but usually vote Republican lol. They are just following the crowd and honestly ever since I was a kid, I have not respected people who follow the crowd and didn't read for themselves (entire sources, books, etc.) and subsequently think for themselves.

The Libertarian party is a political joke. They just aren't a serious political entity. They're more like a private club for guys who don't want to admit being Republicans.

Quote:
Conservatives today especially seem to be the group least likely to question anything that is spoken by their leaders or pundits. Liberals, for all their faults are always trying to argue a point (meaning they are more likely to think about something and offer a counter opinion/view even in the company of other liberals who they disagree with - see the Sanders/Clinton stuff that still goes on amongst others). Conservatives will just fall in line in larger numbers of a candidate/idea and say it is "God's will" or something lol.

It's in the right wing nature to be unquestioning followers, checking one another to see who toes the party line most closely.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:02 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I'm 64, and it seems to me that the left has always been the angriest since the mid-60's until a year into the Obama administration, although my perception might be skewed because I was a liberal until then. (Now I'm a moderate who voted for a third party candidate in both 2012 and 2016.)

Don't forget -- as many people seem to do -- that 28 states plus DC did elect Obama which would have been unbelievable to most people even 50 years before. Yes, the election did go along what is now known as red and blue state lines, but in all the states that did vote for him, there was still a white majority. It was only after Obama was in office that there seems to me that there was such a backlash (which may or not be just my opinion), that it resulted in Trump being elected in 2016.

Before Obama had actually been in office for a year or so, most whites were content to just have him run the country and "wait and see" what would happen, and many of them did not like the results. It was only then, imo, that so many more white people started to become "angry"; and that might be due to Obama himself, or to a rise of the outspoken militancy of blacks, browns and the LGBT community, or both -- and also, of course, many in the "alt-right" media did not help matters by pushing an agenda of fear and hate. and also because so many people (including me) strongly disliked Hillary Clinton. I am far from being the only person who, 18 months ago, disliked Trump and Clinton equally. (I am just glad that my state went for HRC, or I would be feeling very guilty right now.)
Test Question
I'm a woman, do you think I should've voted for Hillary simply because she's a woman or should I consider her policies? I'll answer, anyone who thinks that I and every other woman should have voted for Hillary because of her gender is an idiot.

Back lash? It was more like an Obama, a liberal policy back lash. We didn't like Obama's policies and sure didn't want Hillary who was Obama 2.0. Why you can't understand that is beyond me.

Last edited by petch751; 06-19-2018 at 02:13 PM..

Old 06-19-2018, 02:44 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

But the GOP are weird to me in that they are going so crazy right now when they have basically all 3 branches of government. I think it is because their party's leader is, himself, unstable. When you have an unstable leader, he/she leads you to be unstable as well and IMO that is what is going on in the GOP today. I'll note I have a lot of associates and a couple close friends/associates who are moderate Republicans and they actually despise Trump in private but not as outwardly so in public. They don't lie and say they hate him in public but they just don't say anything about their despising him in the company of a majority of conservatives. I think that unwillingness of the sane Republicans to more profoundly and loudly denounced Trump and ask that age old question which ended McCarthyism - "Have you no sense of decency, sir" to their party's leader, is what is making them seem to be the party of nuts.

They've seemingly denounced everything they've ever stood for as a party to support this unstable man. I know I have lost a lot of respect for the party as a whole and feel sad for it based on its pretty illustrious history and the party being reduced to the current level of ridiculousness is just pitiful to me.
Kind of like an Unstable Pack Leader in the Dog World. I watch Dog Whisperer regularly and when one dog is nuts, he has to go to Doggie Boot Camp and be around "sane" dogs. Then he regains his normalcy. Easy to see in the dog world--gnarling, attacking, biting... Same thing here, but you might have to look harder. If he were surrounded by more "normal" people, he might have a chance of regaining some stability and normalcy.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:25 PM

956 posts, read 1,207,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I'm 64, and it seems to me that the left has always been the angriest since the mid-60's until a year into the Obama administration, although my perception might be skewed because I was a liberal until then. (Now I'm a moderate who voted for a third party candidate in both 2012 and 2016.)

Don't forget -- as many people seem to do -- that 28 states plus DC did elect Obama which would have been unbelievable to most people even 50 years before. Yes, the election did go along what is now known as red and blue state lines, but in all the states that did vote for him, there was still a white majority. It was only after Obama was in office that there seems to me that there was such a backlash (which may or not be just my opinion), that it resulted in Trump being elected in 2016. Before Obama had actually been in office for a year or so, most whites were content to just have him run the country and "wait and see" what would happen, and many of them did not like the results. It was only then, imo, that so many more white people started to become "angry"; and that might be due to Obama himself, or to a rise of the outspoken militancy of blacks, browns and the LGBT community, or both -- and also, of course, many in the "alt-right" media did not help matters by pushing an agenda of fear and hate. and also because so many people (including me) strongly disliked Hillary Clinton. I am far from being the only person who, 18 months ago, disliked Trump and Clinton equally. (I am just glad that my state went for HRC, or I would be feeling very guilty right now.)

I wonder how much of the dislike of Hillary has to do with the right wing constantly talking about the Clintons and making up one fake scandal after another with them. All of these right wing AM talk radio hosts have been a career and living off the Clintons.

There are millions of people who really believe the clintons are the devils and are criminals from all of these fake scandals.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:28 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Not me at any one group or political party I fail to understand how people can truly believe that there is a difference between the two parties.

More to the point in thier delusionals they believe that they care about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies