Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 02:31 AM

27,133 posts, read 13,429,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
And, yet, we are still relatively safe compared to many other nations, including those that actually restrict gun ownership.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/americans...173747656.html
According to what I have read, 3% of Americans own half the guns and less than 1/3rd of Americans own a gun.

3% of Americans own half the country's 265 million guns - USA Today

The gun numbers: just 3% of American adults own a collective 133m firearms - The Guardian

Guns in America: 3% Own Half the Guns | Time

There's a gun for every American. Less than 1/3 own guns. - CNNPolitics

Gun ownership in America, in three charts — Quartz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 04:38 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
And, yet, we are still relatively safe compared to many other nations, including those that actually restrict gun ownership.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/americans...173747656.html

1st. I don't see the ACTUAL "STUDY"

2nd. I know a lot of gun owners and not a single was was "surveyed".

Then again it is the U.N.

Old 06-19-2018, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
It's probably higher than 40%.

What facts do you base this claim on?

Or is this just another SWAG?

Old 06-19-2018, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I’m all for gun ownership. I own a few myself. I just hate it when people point out thing like New Jersey having strict gun laws. People can easily drive to the next state and get whatever they want.

Again, I’m all for responsible gun ownership, but I’m also for responsible selling.

"People can easily drive to the next state and get whatever they want." ILLEGALLY I might add.

Old 06-19-2018, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
People keep bringing this up, but I’ve yet to hear a politician state that they want to confiscate everyone’s firearms. I will never happen.

"but I’ve yet to hear a politician state that they want to confiscate everyone’s firearms."

Where do you get your news from?

Old 06-19-2018, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I am with you. I have no problem with background checks for the purchase of all firearms. I have no issue with a waiting period. I have no issue with limiting how many firearms can be purchased by a single buyer at 1 time.
The cross the border purchasing isn't the problem. The problem is the straw purchasers. Gun shows aren't really a big problem. They take a lot of heat for relatively few incidents that resulted from guns purchased thru a gun show.
Your point is valid, but so is the other side. Criminals will always find ways to get a gun. Look how many convicted felons are arrested while in the commission of a crime and in possession of a firearm. A firearm they were not allowed to own. Laws are only as effective as their enforcement. (look at our immigration laws). Laws are only respected by the law abiding. Murder is illegal, yet it happens every day.
" I have no issue with a waiting period"

With today's technology your ENTIRE criminal record can be accessed IMMEDIATELY just like the police do when they do traffic stop on you. No need for a waiting period,

Women have been shot dead by their abusing spouse, etc., while "waiting".

" I have no issue with limiting how many firearms can be purchased by a single buyer at 1 time."

How many cars can you buy at one time?

How many cases of beer can you buy at 1 time.

How many case of liquor can you buy at 1 time?

Cars and alcohol are responsible for a LOT MORE deaths then guns yet we NEVER hear about "limiting" the purchases of them.

The FACT that if using the evil so-called typed AR- "assault rifle" ( which it is NOT an assault rifle, you can only shoot ONE AT A TIME, so what difference does it make how many you buy?

Even hand gans can only be fired two at a time, and with very little accuracy.

These are are the types of "common sense" ideas we hear all the time and if you really think about it, they are NOT "common sense" after all.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:40 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,363,612 times
40% ?

Sounds high

Old 06-19-2018, 06:45 AM

45,203 posts, read 26,417,923 times
So what
Any studies on how many hammers, screwdrivers, forks, shovels, etc?

Old 06-19-2018, 06:49 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingBoat View Post
The lefty media NEVER talks about the chilling effect that guns have on things like home break ins. Ban guns and home invasion robberies and assaults will spike up.

The whole idea is beyond absurd. How are you going to recall / confiscate 300,000,000 guns and reimburse people for those guns? I didn't spend $500 for my 357 only to have have my investment wiped out. BTW my 357 is semi-automatic, like the vast majority of 357's.
I have never seen a semi automatic 357, all I know of have been revolter, which are not semi automatic in any way. So I'm curieous what brand and model is it. I like to check that out

Old 06-19-2018, 06:52 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
Three percent owns half of all guns, that's a good thing, a positive note. Think of how bad if you took all those guns and only one person own one gun, that would put for guns on the street 1000%

So 3% is really a good thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies